PDA

View Full Version : Me109

=kz=
05-03-2002, 12:58 AM
Here's some pics of a me109 I modeled and textured in softimage XSI... Comments?

http://www.keswicka.com/me109_a.gif

http://www.keswicka.com/me109_b.gif

http://www.keswicka.com/me109_c.gif

:beer:

DaJoker
05-03-2002, 07:34 AM
Thats a very nice job man, i have a model airplane just like that 1... :):thumbsup:

=kz=
05-03-2002, 07:48 AM
Thanks!
Do you think the plane might need some more spec? I didn't add much cause of the refrence pic I used but i'm not sure maybe it's too flat?? I think they painted these planes pretty dull but i'm not too sure..

Here's the refrence pic I used for the camo:

http://www.vfs.com/~kallen/pics/bf33.jpg

chesky Wang
05-03-2002, 09:16 AM
Good work, I also had done an render of Ju87,
but I had lost any of them, so only could send this only,
don't laugh at it:buttrock:

=kz=
05-03-2002, 10:33 AM
Thanks man!
I like your model, all that plane is missing is some textures.
I found the texturing to be as hard if not harder then the modeling, but the way the end result is killer.. it's all in the textures :)

Toeng.com
05-03-2002, 11:21 AM
Yes ... the model is great, but without texturing, it tastes bland :)

chesky Wang
05-03-2002, 07:35 PM
Yes,I modeled that plane at last year when I first touch 3d world,
I had used rhino to modeling, but I don't know how to texture it well,
it need very big, high resolution map. I didn't finished it.
I think maybe any time I will redo my work. with a realistic scene,
and impact angel. well, keep on waiting.:bounce:

Atari
05-03-2002, 09:32 PM
sorry but your Name in Germany is a short for Konzentrationslager
this building were millions of jews died and then you build Nazi Airplanes !!

maybe it wasnt your intention but for me it looks strange

=kz=
05-03-2002, 10:35 PM
Atari,
Who's name? Mine kz? I chose that cause it's sorta short for my name, keswick... and I modeled a german plane because everyone else in my class modeled spitfires.. so uhh yeah no racist or hate intentions on my part.

Atari
05-03-2002, 10:39 PM
you name KZ = Konzentrationslager

i post this only to inform you it coul get misunderstud

=kz=
05-03-2002, 10:50 PM
well thanks for the info.
But had I not posted pics of a german plane would you have said anything?

Atari
05-03-2002, 10:55 PM
no *lol*

Skyraider3D
05-04-2002, 12:42 AM
The model and textures themselves are nice, but from an accuracy point of view there are countless of things wrong.

Firstly you modelled something that resembles a late-war G-6 version, not the early-war E-4/Trop version as in your reference pic.
I won't even try comparing it to the E, cause that basically means summing up the differences between these two what is an aweful lot. So I will crit is as a G-6 (which never served in North Afrika, so your camouflage pattern is all wrong).

Ok, assuming the model is a late-war G-6, you need to change a couple of things:
- oil cooler (under the nose) is totally inaccurate in shape
- fuel drop tank is too soft and the aerodynamic shape is wrong
- bomb rack (for fuel tank) should not be blended with the fuselage
- air intake on the engine cowling is too big
- bumps (machine gun feed) on the cowling are too blended-in
- landing gear doors should be nearly flat (or do the edges suffer from a smoothing error?)
- tailwheel frame has wrong shape
- windshield is not steep enough
- most late G-models had a different kind of canopy - without the heavy framing of the earlier models
- vertical tailplane lacks aerodynamic cross-section shape
- swastika is mirrored on one side
- propellor spinner should be more "spherical"
- propellorblades are too small, narrow and pointy
- rear fuselage cross-section has wrong shape
- wing trailing edges should be sharp and thin
- your model lacks armament and the gunports are missing
- bumpmap settings needs tweaking, as it is very jagged
- kill markings should be on the tail, not under the cockpit

This may all sound very harsh, but I just gave you honest and straightforward crits. Your model isn't bad at all, it just needs a lot of tweaking to be perfect. If you want me to send you accurate Me 109 blueprints, drop me a mail at skyraider3d@hotmail.com
If you pay more attention to accuracy to your next model, I am sure it will be a winner. Your textures are very nice, and you clearly can model, just the shape is wrong and the textures resemble a different aircraft than the one you modelled. :)

PS. If you like 3D Luftwaffe aircraft, please visit my website ;)

=kz=
05-04-2002, 04:24 AM
Wow thats some feedback! heh
Thanks for the comments..
I really didn't get that in depth when I modeled it. It was a learning exercise for us at school and the first complete model/textureing assignment we had to do. I modeled the G-6 version as you pointed out and I realized that the camo I took was from a different version of the plane, I just found it more intresting to paint and a challenge to texture getting all the markings to line up. I did worked from a set of plans I found on suurland.com. When I compared them to some refrence photos that I had there were some areas that didn't match up. I found that there were so many versions of this plane and the refrence I got was a mixed bag....

I really appreciate the feedback though it was great, next time I model a plane i'll pay more attention to the smaller details.

Thanks again

Just checked out your site... nice work! I really like how you composited the models.. awsome :)

chesky Wang
05-04-2002, 05:59 AM
Hey!Skyraider3D
Nice to meet you, I am really glad to see you here,
I was an aerocraft fans when I was in highschool, but now
I take more time to modeling other thing. I had searched your
site last year, I am really love it, it's really great work.
and the texture mapping of spitfire tutorial,had been my reference.
really pleasure.

alchoi
05-05-2002, 11:30 AM
I knew it Kez!!!

You always goose-step when you come into class ...

And what's with that stupid little moustache???

Heheheheheheh

Just kidding, man ...

Skyraider3D
05-06-2002, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the nice comments guys! :)

I couldn't find the G-6 blueprint you mentioned. I did find these though, of the G-10, which is similar to the late G-6:

http://www.suurland.com/blueprints/fighters_propeller/messerschmitt_bf_109g-10.gif
http://www.suurland.com/blueprints/fighters_propeller/messerschmitt_bf_109g-10_2.gif

For the G-10 there is a wide variety of colourschemes too. Some are really odd. By war's end all kinds of paints were used. And it even happened that parts of the planes were left unpainted, as paint supplies ran out because of the worsening war situation in Germany in 1945.

In any case, if you ever need some help with blueprints, just drop me a mail :)

Ronnie

PS. Chesky Wang, the plane in the tutorial is a Yak-9, not a Spit :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.