PDA

View Full Version : Faraway Tom, Fiona Meng (2D)

fionabus
01-17-2009, 07:05 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g25/304725/304725_1232219135_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g25/304725/304725_1232219135_large.jpg)

Title: Faraway Tom
Name: Fiona Meng
Software: Painter, Photoshop

I really tried to change the way I go about constructing my images with this picture. Often, I think I don't properly construct the initial image, and this comes though with the finished picture. I've wanted to do this picture for a while now, it comes from a song:

Faraway Tom

When the calendar brings in the cuckoo
And the summer comes following on
And the thin mists of day see him running away
And they know him as Faraway Tom

The earth is his bed and his pillow
And his sheets are the clothes he has on
He spends all afternoon hunting the moon
Till it rises for Faraway Tom

He sees the fox leaving his hollow
And he know where the badger is gone
He watches the fawn in the sheltering thorn
But they don't see old Faraway Tom

He knows nothing of letters or learning
And of manners and such he has none
He numbers the seasons on finger and toes
As they pass over Faraway Tom

But what of the winters to follow
Will age and cold wind bring him down
And where will he lie when snow fills the sky
And the years tell on Faraway Tom

sung by Jean Redpath

I did half of it with painter, half with photoshop with about 30h. I really have been trying to create work with a bit more umph, and I hope that shows a little. I would love lots of feed back and critiques! Thanks for viewing!!!

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv258/fionabus/tomcloseup1.jpg
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv258/fionabus/tomcloseup2.jpg
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv258/fionabus/tomcloseup3.jpg
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv258/fionabus/TomWIP.gif

loenie
01-18-2009, 04:26 AM
Hey dear Fiona,
Whoohoo, Nice to see that your pretty active again lately. Also I like to see the "making of" that you've made. Thanks for sharing:) Always educative to see how everyone build up there paintings and the steps that they are making. It's too bad that cg shows the picture this small since some picture like these must been seen in detail, like the grass, mushrooms (;)),stone etc.

renall
01-18-2009, 07:57 AM
yeah - nice one !
it goes to show that a slightly different pose can realy make an image memorable - also like that you went for a perspective point that is slightly higher.
my fav bit is the closeup on the face
keep it up

Timefly
01-18-2009, 08:27 PM
is that figure inspired by this:)?

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_OL7rytVxT48/Ruel64i8O9I/AAAAAAAAANM/-STk0kBI6iM/livagtig+figur+i+AROS.jpg

a huge sculpture at an art museum here, Boy by Ron Muick or somesuch

cheers

Timefly
01-18-2009, 10:46 PM
the link died it seems, here it is

cheers

http://www.iwantamonkey.com/images/mueckindenmark.jpg

phoenix
01-19-2009, 04:30 AM
Hey Fiona pretty sweet paint.

regards

fionabus
01-19-2009, 05:27 AM
Hey dear Fiona,
Whoohoo, Nice to see that your pretty active again lately. Also I like to see the "making of" that you've made. Thanks for sharing:) Always educative to see how everyone build up there paintings and the steps that they are making. It's too bad that cg shows the picture this small since some picture like these must been seen in detail, like the grass, mushrooms (;)),stone etc.

Yeah! My shedule is much lighter now, I had a really chaotic 4 months, but everything is back to normal now! Thanks for the input, it's nice to hear from you!

fionabus
01-19-2009, 06:08 AM

cheers

Yeah!!! You totally got it!!! I was looking for ways to convey a really emotionally raw character, and this was really the best of the best, I just had to use it as my reference. I love Ron Mueck, and I think his work has a quality of emotion that we can all learn from. So when I was looking to draw Faraway Tom, I searched for a long time on how he should be positioned, and when I looked at this sculpture I just new he was just like my Tom!

I think digital art is often has a kind of throw away quality void of any lasting presence, where as some post modern work, like the stuff we often see in art galleries, often has lots of emotion and lacks the ability for us to connect with all that is there. Mueck is able to really marry both, it's both mature and accessible. I love what he does, and the speed he creates his work at is amazing! There's work you do because it's your job, but then there's art you do because it means something to you. I think that's what we should aspire to, because art is more then just pretty pictures. I don't have the technical skills yet, but I hope that someday I can create work like that! Ok, time for me to stop rambling.....

Thanks for the relpies from everyone! I always love to hear input from other artists, it means a lot to me!

kennychaffin
01-19-2009, 11:44 AM
I knew I'd seen that pose somewhere. :)
Great job on this!

cheers

ceruleanvii
01-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Hi Fiona, nice to see your latest work! I really like what your doing with this one, with the unusual pose and perspective. I think it's come out very nicely. The only thing I might say is a little more contrast to make things pop.

And I like the nudity - he very much seems a craeture of the forest!

fionabus
01-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean! When I look at it on my computer, it's fine, but then when I look at it on other monitors everything just blends together. This seems to keep happening to me... I think when it comes down to it I need a new computer and monitor. I want a macbook pro, but they're a little pricey... I think I'll just have up the contrast for now...

kennychaffin
01-19-2009, 04:34 PM

I think digital art is often has a kind of throw away quality void of any lasting presence, where as some post modern work, like the stuff we often see in art galleries, often has lots of emotion and lacks the ability for us to connect with all that is there. Mueck is able to really marry both, it's both mature and accessible. I love what he does, and the speed he creates his work at is amazing! There's work you do because it's your job, but then there's art you do because it means something to you. I think that's what we should aspire to, because art is more then just pretty pictures. I don't have the technical skills yet, but I hope that someday I can create work like that! Ok, time for me to stop rambling.....

Thanks for the relpies from everyone! I always love to hear input from other artists, it means a lot to me!

While I disagree with the throw-away quality aspect of digital - I believe we're just at the beginning of it becoming a "standard" - the lasting quality of it is going to be dependent on how we handle it/preserver it/present it, I agree completely with your take on art in general, "There's work you do because it's your job, but then there's art you do because it means something to you. I think that's what we should aspire to, because art is more then just pretty pictures."

I am still a neophyte in digital as compared to your work, but I hope to learn and hope to follow this same calling, this same meaning.

fionabus
01-19-2009, 05:27 PM
While I disagree with the throw-away quality aspect of digital - I believe we're just at the beginning of it becoming a "standard" - the lasting quality of it is going to be dependent on how we handle it/preserver it/present it, I agree completely with your take on art in general, "There's work you do because it's your job, but then there's art you do because it means something to you. I think that's what we should aspire to, because art is more then just pretty pictures."

I am still a neophyte in digital as compared to your work, but I hope to learn and hope to follow this same calling, this same meaning.

I like your use of the word neophyte, because I think art has an almost religious devotion, atleast it does for me personally, and many other people. I really love realism, and I think with digital art the main issue I have is it is so pop-ish, and we need to keep rasing the bar. Realism is a wonderful thing, we can show what we are feeling and thinking and have it interpreted by our audience. But our work should be setting trends, not following them. Your right--our field is new and expanding like crazy, so we have a lot of work to do!

kennychaffin
01-19-2009, 05:32 PM
:) :)

I like your use of the word neophyte, because I think art has an almost religious devotion, atleast it does for me personally, and many other people. I really love realism, and I think with digital art the main issue I have is it is so pop-ish, and we need to keep rasing the bar. Realism is a wonderful thing, we can show what we are feeling and thinking and have it interpreted by our audience. But our work should be setting trends, not following them. Your right--our field is new and expanding like crazy, so we have a lot of work to do!

ceruleanvii
01-19-2009, 07:38 PM
i have the contrast problem all the time with my images, it looks fine on one, then washed out on another (particularly macs, ugh) and the over-saturated on others. Drives me CRAZY! Guess the best thing to do is find a happy medium!

yotion
01-19-2009, 10:27 PM
but what he's doing?

fionabus
01-20-2009, 06:23 PM
but what he's doing?

Um, when I asked my family, they seemed very sure he was taking a poo... Maybe that wasn't my intention, but oh well! How about he's searching for the moon, like in the poem???? Either that or taking a poo, hahahaha.

kennychaffin
01-20-2009, 06:58 PM
:) I was gonna say that but didn't want to offend... :) :) :)

Um, when I asked my family, they seemed very sure he was taking a poo... Maybe that wasn't my intention, but oh well! How about he's searching for the moon, like in the poem???? Either that or taking a poo, hahahaha.

fionabus
01-22-2009, 03:20 PM
No worries, it's hard to offend me....

Syran
01-25-2009, 11:44 PM
niiice, your improving allot I see. Good you kept doing digital painting. Are you still as buisy as always? or did you find more time for art? i'd love see more of your works in the future, how's the comic comming allong? cheers!

fionabus
01-26-2009, 01:15 AM
Yeah! I have a full time job still ofcouse, but this semester I'm done school, so I have the extra time to work on my art. I'm a workaholic, so I just substituted school ith more time for art... I'm taking the next four months to work on developing a good solid portfolio, and I'm really trying to do everything!!! My digital portfolio, pen and ink, and comics. It's coming along, it's still just begining though, I've been reading a lot of comics, and books about creating comics, and reading, just trying to pull everything together. I'm working really hard, but it's mostly on art!

How about you? How's your life going now???

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2009, 01:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.