PDA

View Full Version : question on animation with a spinning logo

milqman
06-26-2003, 07:51 AM
alrighty, I have a spinning logo here that I want to spin faster progressively.

How might I accomplish this?

Dreamwave
06-26-2003, 08:27 AM
in scene editor?

SplineGod
06-26-2003, 08:34 AM
Heres something you can play with:
Do your initial rotation say 0 - 360 deg over the course of your total animation say 300 frames and do it in the bank channel (as an example).
Go to Scene----Utilities----Master Plugins------Master Channel
and name it THROTTLE.
Make sure your object is selected and then go into the graph editor. Youll see all the channels for your object in the channel bin.
Drag MC:THROTTLE up into the channel bin.
Now create this expression:
throttle
Value * [MC.Throttle]
Now select the bank channel in the channel bin and APPLY it to the expression.
What happens is that the rotation in the bank channel is happening along a linear curve ie. its rotation is a constant speed.
The master channel (MC.THROTTLE) acts a muliplier to make the rotation nonlinear (an acceleration or deceleration).
You can also tie the master channel you created to a slider.
Master channels are simply additional channels not attached to anything in particular that you can use to control other things.

milqman
06-26-2003, 05:40 PM
wow, thanks

SplineGod
06-26-2003, 07:02 PM
Thank me if it works. :)

3danim8d
06-26-2003, 09:26 PM
Hi, I think I accomplished what you are looking for by playing with the TCB controls on the rotation channels in the Graph Editor.

It's rendering out right now.

HUmmm... motion blur....

discode
06-27-2003, 12:34 AM
Hello all:

Unless i am misunderstanding couldnt you just do this the old school way with keyframes. The closer the keyframes are the the faster the rotation. For example make a scene that is 60 frames. At frame 30 rotate the logo on heading 360 degrees and create a keyframe. Then at 40 add another 360 on heading and create a key. At 45 another 360 and create a key. etc etc etc. I might just me misunderstanding the question though. Rnedering out example now...

SplineGod
06-27-2003, 12:52 AM
Exactly. Thats why you have to take its constant rotation which is linear and multiply it by something else and make it nonlinear.

milqman
06-27-2003, 01:17 AM
i just got back from work and I'm gonna try your ideas now. thanks for your time

discode
06-27-2003, 01:31 AM
Ah. That make sense now after setting it up and playing with it for a little while.... Thanks Larry...;)

milqman
06-27-2003, 01:56 AM
SplineGod, your advice worked perfectly.
It is GREAT!
Thanks a ton!

SplineGod
06-27-2003, 02:19 AM
Cool! Im glad to see that worked. A simple thing to remember is that ANY curve equals some kind of force being applied which means an acceleration or deceleration. The nice thing about the graph editor is that you can see both the keyframed motion and the modified motion from the same channel.
For the expression impared The Lightwave World WIde Tour CD (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/worldwidetour.htm) and The Next Dimension Tour CD (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/nextdimensiontour.htm) both cover expressions, motion modifiers and the graph editor in an easy to understand way. They totally demystify expressions and its great to see it all in realtime in quicktime format.

Steve Warner
06-27-2003, 02:27 AM
Very nice, Larry! That's a really elegant solution. :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing this great tip!

Steve

SplineGod
06-27-2003, 03:05 AM
Thanks Steve, glad it helped out. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.