PDA

View Full Version : Comping a CG ocean scene

davemcd
06-26-2003, 06:32 AM
Hi All

I'm at the beginning of a project about the bombing of ship off the coast of Western Australia during WWII (for PAL television output). We have several shots to do of the boat travelling along on quite a peaceful calm day. There are a couple of shots where its beached in a cove (flat bottom hull) where there's terrain in the background. And there's a fairly complicated bombing sequence (above view POV from behind bombs,falling to the ship deck, cover with explosion to cutaway of side view of explosion).

What i want to ask is for peoples expertise of what visual cues and elements i should plan to do to make it seem quite realistic for an ocean scene (i'm not neccasarily talking about the rendering of the ocean, but more of integrating of the elements and what kinds of visual artifacts and cues would be apparant out at sea) Also if people have ideas on where they think the problem areas are likely to be.

Any ideas appreciated.

(for those interested its most likely to be rendered in LW and composited in either Digital Fusion or Combustion)

Dave

Merkeba
07-01-2003, 03:30 AM
The sequence you are going for sounds quite similar to the effects that were produced for Pearl Harbour. They had a couple of shots following behind the bombs as they fell to the water below. I suggest renting this movie to get an idea of what you will need in order to pull this off realistically. Mind you following the bombs down will be the easy part, it's making the explosions, the debris, and the splashes that will make this a tough one. Good luck!

davemcd
07-01-2003, 03:45 AM
haha... hired out 'Pearl Harbour' and 'U-571' yesterday for reference... about to watch them today... Cheers though for the input. Yeah I think i do have my work cut out for me with the explosion scenes... here's hoping

Dave

Merkeba
07-01-2003, 03:48 AM
haha..I figured as much with the movies :p In regards to the explosions I'm not sure how you would accomplish that realistically in Lightwave. My main app these days is Max and luckily we have Afterburn as a plugin choice. What does LW use for explosions these days?

davemcd
07-01-2003, 04:04 AM
I'm only jusy new to lightwave (actually i lie, i used it in version 4 but havent since). I've been using max since v 1.0 (and did a tiny bit of 3DS DOS) but the costs of setting up your own small studio is a bit high currently so lightwave it is.... Luckily my business partner is a LW guy.

Lightwave has a pretty cool voxel based thingy (*note* not the actual name..... it escapes me right now) But i'm not sure if we'll use that or if we'll use composited footage.

Dave

BorgKiller
07-19-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by davemcd

Lightwave has a pretty cool voxel based thingy (*note* not the actual name..... it escapes me right now) But i'm not sure if we'll use that or if we'll use composited footage.

Dave

What your thinking of is Hypervoxels. Good for making steam, smoke and anything to explosions and stuff, but on the down side, they are a real CPU sucker and RAM Hoggers. When i did a rocket takeoff scene, it took my 5 computers (P3 800 [324 ram], AMD Athlon XP 2400+ [512 ram], AMD Athlon XP 3000+[1 gig ram] , Pentium laptop 1.4ghz [256] and a slow AMD Duron 900 [512 ram]) with network render 12 hours to complete the hypervoxel saturated (Lots of hypervoxel) movie of 14 seconds.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.