PDA

View Full Version : Help finishing a Pentagram Model

CrimsonGT
01-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Alright, so this is my first time deciding to model something im going to actually use. I have tinkered in XSI, 3DSMax and Maya before, mainly seeing which one I liked the best as far as interfaces and what not. This question is moreso a math question, but I need some help on what tools I need to use as well.

Basically I have modelled the pentagram more or less. The problem is that I am not sure how to set it up properly so that when viewed from all 3 angles, it appears the same. (Generally its 3 triangles, and if viewed from any direction it appears the same.) My pentagram is coming out lopsided if viewed from any angle except for one. I am assuming this is because I am using two faces, one for each line, and I THINK it should be two lines coming from one face. (basically one face = an intersection point whereas I have two faces and the edge between them is the point)

Anyways, heres a screenshot...
http://imagenouch.com/images/2009/Jan/11232152473.png

Im bad at math and logic, which is why im posting about it. I have been messing with it for an hour or so and cant figure out how to fix it. If indeed I do need to use one face as the intersection point to make it work correctly, what would be the best way to do that from a modelling perspective tool wise? Extrude the face then split? I want to keep the beams all the same width and im not sure how to like that.

*Edit*

Also, on an unrelated note, for a source game prop, is it okay to have the beams intersect like that, or do I need to chop them off or something?

KaiserAdler
01-17-2009, 11:40 AM
In order to achieve what you asked, all you need is to think about it as 5 tips, not 3 triangles.This way will be more easier.
In conclusion, do this :
- make your first triangle (it doesn't matter how it will look, you will tweak it after)
- point the tip of this triangle at 0 (it will point to a straight refference axis you choose)
- duplicate the triangle 4 more time and rotate it at 72, 144, 216 and 288 degrees
- take care that the center around wich the triangles will revolve is the same as the center of the circle (in case you don't know how to that, I will explain that too)
- afterwards tweak the triangles until you will get a pentagram (eventually use booleans to cut the unneeded parts)
I hope this is helpful to you!

PS : for simplicity, for a game you can delete the center vertices, nothing will change in the aspect as long as the side vertices remain, you will just get fewer polygons, wich is what you want...

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2009, 11:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.