PDA

View Full Version : Animation: Common Senses

wbate
06-26-2003, 05:29 AM
Well, I am finishing a year at VFS, so here is another demo reel from Vancouver. I should mention that I have been given an extra two months at the school to work on it, so I hope some of its flaws will be ironed out. The sound is a WIP, with some relatively major elements missing. So here it is, let me know what you think!

20MB5.03divX:
http://www.vfs.com/~williamba/Common_SensesAVI/CSsmall503divX.avi

here's a quicktime for those with Macs and none divX people (any suggestions for better compression?)

40MBQuicktimeMOV:
http://www.vfs.com/~williamba/Common_SensesAVI/CSweb0701.mov

Mugshots:
http://www.vfs.com/~williamba/Common_SensesAVI/MoMug.jpg
http://www.vfs.com/~williamba/Common_SensesAVI/TadMug.jpg

Thanks!

Will.

Pixel_Pisher_
06-26-2003, 06:13 AM
:bowdown: EXECELLENT work will, You have worked steady and hard and it really shows. I cannot wait to see what you will produce in the schlorship program. I only wish my work was half as good as yours. I guess I don't need to wish you luck in the future, just remember the rest of us little guys at vfs.:bowdown: :bowdown:

wbate
06-26-2003, 06:21 AM
As you know, I am a little guy! (At least vertically)

thanks for the encouragement.

manutara
06-26-2003, 06:58 AM
Well Will, you know what I think about your piece...:applause:

Dave is really doing a nice job on the sound. Congrats!!!

Enjoy those extra 2 month...I did! :D

gary hsu
06-26-2003, 02:30 PM
I don't know if I should say congrets cuz you still have 2 more months left, and it could be stressful sometimes........I don't know if I can open divx 5.03, but I will try, can't wait to see it

Mafty
06-26-2003, 06:21 PM
very nice, i think the big ogre type guy could have done with a mouth to show more emotion when his mom/grandmom (?) left him to go up the ladder. but excelent none the less.

can i ask what programs you used for this?

Pixel_Pisher_
06-26-2003, 06:50 PM
He used Softimage XSI, I remember the backstory to your demo reel and I think that the fact that you still stuck with the two characters is great.

wbate
06-27-2003, 04:45 AM
Mafty - P_P is right, I worked in XSI, including effects and compositing.

Mantura - Thanks for the positive feedback! You certainly made good use of your time, I hope I can do the same.

Gary - I hope to put another clip up in .mov format in a few days, but it will be larger.

Syeko
06-30-2003, 07:03 PM
Really nice display of technical animation Will and a great look.

Looks like it would fit nicely in a film festival.

Keep up the hard work,

Simon

Berserker
06-30-2003, 09:24 PM
Fantastic atomosphere Will ! The facial animation could be even more pushed, but I think you're still working on that. My favorite part is where he moves the huge cog.

I agree, this will do well in festivals.

Maybe take a day off?! You deserve it!

:buttrock:

drewantarctic
07-01-2003, 01:46 AM
very nice atmosphere. texturing is well done. i just dont understand the title.

could you post mugshots and details of your characters?

gary hsu
07-01-2003, 02:53 AM
Hey, Will, nice reel, however, there're some inconsistancies in your reel, you still have time to fix it in your scholarship term. I really like your animation, it's very smooth, however, there seem to have a pop on the big guys facial animation when he climbs down the ladder. Both characters' ear seem a bit strange to me, I can't put my hands on it, maybe the follow through is too slow. It is really nice to show the lady is blind in the beginning by having her feel around with her hands and having the big guy grab her hand and put it in his other hand, very nice touch, but I think after that, there's no more references that she is blind, especially after the last few scene when both of them under the ladder, and they "look" at each other, or when the fish kiss the lady, those 2 scene really jump out, I think some people were talking aobut the floor on the top, so no point getting into it. Anyways, I really hope that helps, cause you will be working by yourself most of the time in the next 2 months, and it's hard when you are used to your animation, and don't have another pair of fresh eyes to critique your animation. Good luck, and pardon my english, it's not my first language.........by the way, seem like some people are confused by your story, I think it's hard, but I think you somehow have to find a way to make it clear, otherwise, it will turn out like mine, heheheheh, a bad reel..........good luck

wbate
07-01-2003, 04:20 AM
Drewantarctic- I'll try to post some mugshots in a day or so, all my rotation backup is at home.

hey Gary-

Thanks for the specific suggestions. Several people have mentioned the facial tick, so its on my list of fixes. The ears also, I really rushed all the secondary and it suffers for it. As for the blindness, yes I agree it gets lost as the film progresses, I'll have to readdress that.

Posting here and on CGchannel has really helped me get feedback from some fresh eyes. And I KNOW how great your reel was, so don't try all that modest stuff on me. I laughed my a** off! By the way, do you have any good blind person reference? You pulled off pretty convincing blind and deaf characters.

What is your first language? I noticed the music for your real was in Mandarin. Dui bu dui?

gary hsu
07-02-2003, 02:55 AM
hey, Will, I think there is no easy way to go about it, I remember when I was doing my stuff, I had to go buy a bamboo stick from chinatown and pretend that I was blind.........it was fun though. I think what I am trying to say is that the best way is to get into your character and act it out yourself. You know your charcter the best, so it should not be a problem for you to know how they interact with each other. Also try to re examine your demo to see if you are missing any oppurtunity for great acting or animation......and talk to as many people as possible, I find that for animators, at least, it's really important to get as much feed back from people as possible, you'd be surprised how helpful they are,heheh. Oh yeah, I almost forgot you are fluent in Mandarin............yeah, you kinda freaked me out the other day when you talked to me in Mandarin, heheheh

koity
07-02-2003, 10:51 AM
Hey Will this is Chien.. I think you did a good job~
This is so inspiring. I think you goona do well in the festival !
:drool: Wish I can animate.....

My feedbacks are covered by gary so nothing to say now...
Can't wait to see the final film 2 months after:beer:

yiran
07-02-2003, 02:32 PM
great!

wbate
07-02-2003, 10:37 PM
Added Mugshots and a {large, sorry} Quicktime version for those innerested

will.

nomad_girl
07-03-2003, 12:35 AM
will--

what can i say?? your work is beautiful and so well done. your hard work and effort certainly shows in the meticulous attention to detail and sensitive approach to the characters. The piece is wonderful right now and I know that it will only get better and better as you develop it further in scholarship. i really look forward to seeing how you push the characters further-- more facial animation like the one scene of tad's! you know i really like the eyes in that shot- several more like that and a sneeze--- there you go!! haha.... no really you are so close and i know that the work you do in the next 2 months will really enhance the great body of work you have done already. i do think that the key is in pushing the nuances of the characters, pushing the poses/gestures and facial animation rather than adding more external drama to the piece.... i think that is were your strengths lie, and it will be easier to give careful attention, working with the time constraints, rather than significant changes....this will really endear the audience to tad & moai and the relationship between them.

have fun in the treefort!

dongle
07-06-2003, 03:25 AM
Great job Will, you reel looks like it was done by a team of people. Everything comes together well and you didn't let anything slide, its extremely impressive. I don't know what you will improve, but aparently you have thought of something. Very nice.

Meshbuilder
07-06-2003, 12:54 PM
When making Quicktime movies use the new Mpeg-4 codec on video and sound and you will get better looking movies and smaller files too :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.