PDA

View Full Version : Newb needs helt with Mental Ray Optimization

muki
06-26-2003, 04:11 AM
HI there guys. I've been teaching myself maya and I could use some help. I want to know how I can speed up the rendering process. I'm working from home, so I don't have the benefit of distributive computing power.

My question pretty much applies to the image below. I'm using maya 4.5, rendering with mental ray. I'm testing out the global illumination feature, but its killing my rendering times. Apart from trial and error, I don't know how to go about getting a decent image with minimal rendering time. This picture took about 1/2 hour to render which makes me think that I'm doing something totally wrong. Any suggestions?

http://www.firstboot.com/muki/gallery/f1_GI.jpg

Novakog
06-26-2003, 07:25 AM
Few things things:

1) What kind of hardware do you have (I'm just curious, cuz 1/2 hr seems like a long time for something like this)?

2) For this particular image, you might consider using Final Gather instead of GI or a regular light, and turning up the enviroment background color of the camera.

3) Check out the video tutorials over at A|W's site, they give a few basics about how to speed up your renders in Mray (http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/products/maya/mentalray.shtml). Mostly though, you'll just want to play around with all the sliders in Mental Ray and do render regions of areas that look bad in this render, then do a final render after those all look good.

muki
06-26-2003, 05:14 PM
Thanks Novakog, those AW tutorials were a big help. I found my probelm. I'm emitting way too many photons. Playing with the mental ray render global sliders now, trying to find the right light balance.

I'm running an 800mhz PC with 512 ram, and a geforce 2 graphics card. Not the ideal computer for this kind of work, but its all I got at the moment.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.