PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Start up a Chicago Chapter

Revitgnome
01-17-2009, 07:35 AM
Hello Everyone,

My name is Marcus Kim, and I am trying to start up a Chicago Chapter. Although I am a recent join to CGS, I have been lurking in the forums and galleries for several years. Inspiration from this site and the things I have learned ultimately helped me attain my role at Autodesk.

As one of my new years resolution, I have decided to give back to the community from which I have learned so much, by starting up a Chicago Chapter of the Computer Graphics Society.

I would like anyone who is in the Chicago area, and are willing to participate in a Chicago chapter to notify me. From the sticky, it seems that we need at least 5 people who are willing to commit to get the ball rolling. Please ping me with your information if you are interested.

My goals for the chapter are the following:

-minimum, 6 meetings a year
-Through the Chicago Chapter, set up a network base for all members
-Sharing of Digital Concepts and techniques
-Collaborate and educate like minded individuals
-With enough members who are professionals, set up a Council to help run the Chicago Chapter, so it can grow and become a success.

Membership to the Chicago Chapter will obviously be free. Any and all individuals professional, student, or hobbyists are welcome to attend.

Looking foward to hearing from you, as I try to set up the Chicago Chapter.

--Regards

AkaKico
01-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Hi Marcus,

You might have noticed that traffic to this area isn't too high. We tried getting some meeting off the ground sometime ago. We met a few times and it was fun but nothing official ever got off the ground. I suggest you look into that older thread about a Chicago chapter to get an idea of the challenges. It's only a few below your thread.

Chris

Revitgnome
01-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks...I reposted in the General Forums section. I think the biggest challenge is to to get it started. I am confident though, if you build it they will come.

--Cheers

TheApostle
02-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Hey,

Just wanted to say that I'd totally be down with starting a Chicago chapter!

MarcusKyler
02-17-2009, 08:00 AM
I'd join, been looking for something like that. But I wouldn't have much to offer, I have no professional experience. I'm still learning.

Revitgnome
02-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Hey no worries. The CGS Chicago Chapter is for everyone who has a keen interest in CG art and design....anyone from the hobbyist to student to Professional.

--Cheers

Marcus

graphix19
03-02-2009, 03:09 PM
I would also be interested in this. Let me know what I can do to help out.

DizzyJ
03-11-2009, 06:14 AM
I'm interested, too.

Revitgnome
03-11-2009, 06:30 AM
Hi Dizzy,

Shoot me an e-mail to cgs.chicago@gmail.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/cgs.chicago@gmail.com) with your contact information. I will include you to the mailing list.

--Cheers

Marcus Kim, AIGA

TheBladeRoden
04-11-2009, 12:53 AM
I'm interested too

Revitgnome
04-11-2009, 03:34 AM
Hello everyone.

CGS Chicago is now official. We are getting ready to prepare for our very first meeting at Flashpoint Academy in mid May. More information to come. It will be posted on the Chicago CGS forums which will be connected to the main site hopefully real soon.

CGS Chicago will help sponsor the Mental Ray Symposium on April 30th. At that time we will be formally announcing the formation of the CGS Chicago.

I look foward to meeting many of you very soon.

DizzyJ
04-11-2009, 03:48 AM
CGS Chicago will help sponsor the Mental Ray Symposium on April 30th. At that time we will be formally announcing the formation of the CGS Chicago.

Excellent news all-around, but I'm really looking forward to that. Thanks for the work in getting this pulled together.

Taoizm
04-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Marcus is the MAN getting this stuff through.

For those interested below is the information for the mR Conference on April 30th. I look forward to meeting a lot of you in the near future.

Link to AAUG Page (http://www.max3ds.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=83#83)

Taoizm
04-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Hey everyone.

We're getting things setup and we now have our own Chapter section.

CGS Chicago Chapter (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=290)

To join the group and to be able to post in the new area you'll need to be added to the CGS Chicago membership. Just follow this link and once approved you'll be able to post in the new area.

Membership Link* (http://portfolio.cgsociety.org/invite/e2c420d928d4bf8ce0ff2ec19b371514)

Cheers,
Tony

*be patient if Membership Approval takes a bit, the group addition is still a manual process - thanks*

CGTalk Moderation
04-28-2009, 02:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.