PDA

View Full Version : Looking into XSI, need help

RobotClayton
01-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Iím in the market for a new app. Iím mostly interested in shaders, Animation/Rigging, and the dynamics system. What is the best thing about these in XSI, and if youíre a convert from another 3d app, how do they compare?

Thanks

RobotClayton
01-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Really? Hmmm... I hate to do this, but no one has anything nice to say about XSI?

ndog
01-19-2009, 09:57 PM
App comparison threads generally get shut down pretty quickly.

The first thing to do is to try the demo version then post specific questions.

ThE_JacO
01-20-2009, 01:35 AM
Asking those questions in an XSI forums is like going in a 350Z forum asking if it's any better than a mazda.

I could give you tons of reasons on why it's the best app ever to grace mankind, and then proceed to successfully argue all my points one by one for the sake of it, which incidentally is what usually happens in app comparison threads.

I understand that "try for yourself" isn't exactly a nice answer, especially given the complexity of the apps in question and the learning curve, which is always steep even for the most intuitive when all you have is 4 weeks of spare time, but it really is the only one that will work for you.

More tailored, specific and contextual questions on best practices and problem solving once you actually bump into the issues will actually be easier to answer, and receive more honest feedback. I suggest you go down that route to form an opinion.

R10k
01-20-2009, 01:58 AM
The XSIBase.com and Softimage community forums are good places to ask that question. I've seen some very well balanced answers recently in both places.

Really? Hmmm... I hate to do this, but no one has anything nice to say about XSI?

I have a ton of nice things to say, but... the other guys are right- Cgtalk isn't the best place to ask :)

Bullit
01-20-2009, 02:33 AM
A short take:

XSI have Mentalray so it is one of most powerfull applications regarding shaders with good integration. I can't go any further since i never tried to make any shader.
It is reported that Vray and Finalrender have betas for XSI so more options are expected but i don't know about shader in that applications..

I only made lessons for Animation/Rigging so i don't have a deep opinion , work seemed to flow.

Dynamics need big tweaks(getting the right values) for a car i was animating, but other than that worked.
I think is to be expected many developments regarding this area since Softimage started in V7 with nodal effects system called ICE.

I don't wish to go much further since no to person are equal. I have good friends that prefer 3DsMax interface while it appears to be a mess to me, and i have worked with Max more than with Softimage. Some way of work might seem intuitive for you while for me is not, such things that go with artist. In http://community.softimage.com/ there are several introductory lessons and also more complex ones. You might want to go there to take a look and also download the demo when you have a better understanding and can make some exercises.

ThE_JacO
01-20-2009, 03:31 AM
The XSIBase.com and Softimage community forums are good places to ask that question. I've seen some very well balanced answers recently in both places.

I have a ton of nice things to say, but... the other guys are right- Cgtalk isn't the best place to ask :)

A note on that: CGS is a multi-app community. XSIBase and Community are XSI only places. On one hand that makes it a lot easier to ask those questions, as the chances of conflict are way lower (and being a mod both here and on community, and having been user #50 or so on xsibase, I have a pretty good idea of how many threads I have to bin, or have seen binned, in each place :) ). On the other hand, it also makes the places more biased.

The question remains best answered by personal experimentation and addressing concerns as they come, since how fast and well you can familiarise yourself with an app is also part of its appeal or incompatibility with you as an artist.

R10k
01-20-2009, 04:48 AM
On the other hand, it also makes the places more biased.

It can, although the people on XSIBase (and the Soft forums to a degree also) often talk about the issues, and what application is better than XSI for particular jobs. Someone asked a similar question not long ago (you may recall, ThE_JacO) and the answers he got were quite good.

That said, the question being asked is such a difficult one to answer, you'll no doubt find 'hornet nest defenders' in any discussion you have ;)

RobotClayton
01-21-2009, 05:19 PM
Thanks guys. I'll head over to the other site. The reason I haven't downloaded the trial is because I have nothing to download it to (unless you count a lenovo tablet PC). The ravages of old age finally caught up with my old PC. So I'm in the process of building new.

Thanks again!

CGTalk Moderation
01-21-2009, 05:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.