PDA

View Full Version : what ia wrong with my stuff?

burgundyelf
05-02-2002, 11:36 PM
No reallY! What is wrong with my work....I stand back from my peices and stare...but I can't for the life of me figure out why my work is so...so...streile!
Any suggestions on how to spice up my work??...Not nessaserily this peice...but my style in genral???....

http://www.blackeden.org/sanctuary-TOL.html

skarab
05-03-2002, 01:17 AM
This Tree of Life piece feels like you haven't done enough life drawing. It shows in the tree, the fabric and the figures. Take a sketchbook and go out and draw some trees, draw real people and the way their clothes drape and fold, and mostly take a life drawing class or sketch your friends, their hands, capture their body language. It also helps to hold your art up to a mirror, and I guarantee the errors will jump out and hit you in the eye.

Sangotten
05-03-2002, 01:20 AM
...hmmmm maybe you should try to pick a light source, like a sun or a electric/fire light. Now it looks like the characters are put together from different pictures.... so the main thin is light and shadow!

Nice picture by the way....!

parallax
05-03-2002, 01:43 AM
burgundyelf
Its not a bad piece at all, its a little inconsistent though.
The quality of the various objects vary greatly,
and as sangotten already mentioned, you need a light source.
The objects/characters are too 'edged', they dont blend.

skarab
I do not entirely agree with you.
i dont think the piece is meant to be realistic, but rather stylised. The piece looks a bit 'iconic', if you know what i mean.
Look at the tree, there's a face in it. it was not meant to be realistic.
Also, i dont think the posing is bad at all, i rather like it.
It has a pre-renaissance feel to it, like the time before man invented perspective.
It also feels a bit Jeroen Bosch.

Burgun>>
i think you can improve the picture a lot.
Especially from a compositional standpoint.
keep it up:thumbsup:

burgundyelf
05-03-2002, 04:03 AM
yes it is true...skarab...I was actually going for a surreal off beat pre-rennisance look. Much like that of Botecelli, but the mirror idea... hmmm....

Sangotten, right on...I do need that light souce, that would probably combine everyone, I felt the same way... the characters don't look at all like they go together...thank you...

parallex...thank you for picking that up... I am so glad you saw that I was going for the pre-rennisance... I find art of that era quite interesting...the imperfections add flavor in my silly eyes...
but you are right...I do need to be more consitent...and my compisiton doen need brushing upon....thank you for the inspiring words....now to get back to the pallet and fix my damnadable mistakes!

:hmm:

dickie52
05-03-2002, 10:19 AM
:beer:

i personally like the piece quite a bit.
especially the fabric.

the hair needs more detail, more flavor.

swelty
05-03-2002, 10:41 AM
I think there are a couple of things that could help this image. First I think the compositon needs some work. As I look at this image my eyes are constantly drawn to the edges. I think this is because there really isn't a dominant figure in to start with. Also if you do a little reading on atmospheric perspective you would find out that there are a few tricks to give you image depth. For instance the little girl in the background seems to be floating in space because she has the most saturated colors in the whole image plus you used contrasting fully saturated colors (purple and green). You need to desaturate colors as they recede and also the contrast between color and shade should lessen as you go back in space. The last thing I will leave you with is taht you should look into how to use color. i see the figure in the middle is a copy of a boticelli piece, but what makes his images so great and other "great" artists is thier use of color and light. Look at the work of Caravagio if you want some good examples of what I have just discussed.

burgundyelf
05-03-2002, 10:53 AM
thank you... wow, yeah ...i should probably get a book or read up before venturing upon a project like this...perhaps take lessons...lol well...I'm thinking this one goes in the trash...and I'll start again.....thank you for your advice... it was much needed:surprised

henry
05-03-2002, 11:47 AM
no no no nothing goes in the trash :) this is good work all the same, despite the errors mentioned above :)

looking forward to see something new :wavey:

Adam Klein
05-03-2002, 02:59 PM
I like it, it has an eerie feeling, the way three of them are starring at me... very nice!

I think the comp is workable, definitely keep it, in fact..

I finally decided that it was the level of detail that was off.

In the tree, grass, cat, faces, the paint set up on the left, we see finer detail, hell, even a kite string!

but in the stream, bank, rock path, mountains, sky, and especially the cloth, the detail is more vague. oh yeah hair too as mentioned

just a thought, but I like it:thumbsup:

keep itup
Adam

as for the colors, sometimes people wear purple shirts when they're in the great outdoors, just as someone might wear a blue shirt in front of a orange sunset, the saturation may be an issue but that color 'rule' is nothing to throw your work out about

to keep the girl from floating make her base more apparent

Fuchmed
05-03-2002, 06:34 PM
While looking at your picture, i had the feeling that there MUST be a hidden message. I cant really explain it, but i kept myself asking why are they staring at me, or has the squatting (?) woman something to hide? That was weird. Its a picture i had to look for a long time. Good work!

burgundyelf
05-04-2002, 01:20 AM
henry...hmm...perhaps I'll keep it as a reminder to my next pieces ... thanks:P

Adam... your right...you can definatly see where my weaknesses lie.... and yes. I do need to make the little girls base appear...as for the color rules....I couldn't help but make her clothing purple , the little girl I based it on has an essense that screams it. (better planning I guess) anyway...thank you! :)
Fuchmed...yes their is a hidden messege... It basiclly depicts the struggle against "good and evil"....and the woman sqauting next to the tree???....that's me...and there is plenty to hide...
:D
each persons story is on my website...under creations , if you are interested. I have a short description of each character.
www.blackeden.org/sanctuary-home.html

Volker
05-04-2002, 03:19 AM
Another thing to look for is your color intensity. All the characters have the same level of darks, mediums, and lights. Nothing is really different from another. The child in the back has the same lighting as the woman in front. Which one do you want to catch your eye first?

Basically a reiteration of what has already been said...

~Zach

burgundyelf
05-04-2002, 03:53 AM
babyhopper.
good point. thanks.:bounce:

Carlocki
05-04-2002, 06:50 AM
u are great this is art to me
very strange just too brilliant color see some paint of Masaccio, Peiro della Francesca nad Botticelli they will help u

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.