PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk to cut 750 jobs

Lone Deranger
01-16-2009, 03:14 AM
Link (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Autodesk-to-cut-750-jobs-sees-apf-14070528.html)

SAN RAFAEL, Calif. (AP) -- Autodesk Inc., the software company that has lost its leader to Yahoo, is cutting 750 jobs, or about 10 percent of its work force to cut expenses and expects to report a loss rather than a profit for the fourth quarter.

mr Bob
01-16-2009, 03:33 AM
I cannot say I'm really surprised. I would expect a stream lining of products also. Which will give them even more jobs to cull ....

jermaineATL
01-16-2009, 03:40 AM
aww man this sucks. If theyre monopolizing at least they could keep theyre current employee's....

ZacD
01-16-2009, 04:29 AM
As long as they don't cut the recently acquired softimage team I don't care :D

EDIT: Sorry I was harsh, I just hope they don't cut the recently acquired softimage team, I'm still sour about Autodesk buying them.

R10k
01-16-2009, 04:57 AM
750 jobs is what... a quarter of their legal team?

Mic_Ma
01-16-2009, 05:02 AM
Actually, their complete dev team.

Digiegg
01-16-2009, 05:30 AM

dude... people are losing jobs and some have families to support...
come on now, let's be more sensitive.

spikkel
01-16-2009, 06:56 AM
+1 I agree. :D
Leave them softimage staff alone.

ThomasMahler
01-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Guess after acquiring all of their competition they probably just had too much redundancy in a lot of departments. I think it was pretty clear that they'd cut away jobs sooner or later. If they actually do merge the 3 products into one, more jobs will be cut. It's just business.

cresshead
01-16-2009, 07:49 AM
If they actually do merge the 3 products into one, more jobs will be cut. It's just business.

actually 5 3d based media and entertainment products>>
3dsmax
maya
motionbuilder
mudbox
xsi

regards dev team sizes i'd imagine there's some overlap from adding the softimage crew onto the existing autodesk crew creating maya, max, motion builder so some cutting back would take plce but also marketing crew from softimage and other staff would be abit of a spare wheel as autodesk already have marketing staff for their products...

also remember autodesk is HUGE and the media and entertainment arm is tiny compared to the cad side..so 750 cut doesn't ness mean that any would be cut from the media and entertainment arm actually unles they were specific about that segment of Autodesk.

jasonio
01-16-2009, 08:08 AM
You forgot all the compositing apps.

Sorry to hear this and my best wishes to those who've lost their jobs and hoping they can find employment elsewhere ASAP.

There won't be any merging of apps. It's not soup, you can't just pour it all together, give it a sturr and hope for the best! It's cheaper to maintain existing apps.

I'd suggest its just as likely to be sales, subscription teams as it is dev teams. I'd imagine that over the next two years sales in CAD software will plummet (construction industry in UK barely hanging in there) and entertainment software will fall. 3d software already does what we need it to do, so I think even investment in new versions of software (upgrades) will be considered a luxury and they will fall too. I'm sure they're already seeing some falloff.

Dev teams will probably be slimmed down a bit because AD will not want to invest heavily in new version over the next 2 years due to the falls in sales/upgrades. Don't expect any big new features in your software for a while. (Not that we've come to expect "big features" in our Autodesk apps..)

mustique
01-16-2009, 08:49 AM
Autodesk CEO, Carol Bratz, was named as the new Yahoo CEO a couple of days ago!
What an elegant move! Just let the new guy handle the dirty job, eh.

The crisis is quickly becoming a perfect storm, where even companies like MS and Google who do well, get rid of underperforming workforce.

The future of our beloved 3D apps is obvious.
3dsmax will continue to incorporate plugins just as it did the last 10 years.
Maya will drag its 10 year old code base around with new technology enforced upon it.
XSI will get menu updates here and there and the delicious ICE will start to melt.
Motionbuilder... Well it was aquired just for FBX sake anyway.
And God knows what Mudbox will become...

These apps start to make no sense as they are and should be cooked into one uber-app.
But separate they sell at a total of 15-20K, while one app will hardly be able to justify its high price. That seems to be the only problem other than time constraints.

cresshead
01-16-2009, 08:50 AM
yeah i listed the 3d apps...of course there's compositing too in the media arm as well as sketchbok pro

re construction industry...defo...my brother is a director of a construction fim and it's REALLY difficult for them currently so the arch des and general construction side is going to nose dive in numbers of projects and contracts...
that's going to hit 3dsmax, autocad's huge list of realted products andnot just 'autocad 2010'

then there's product design with alias studio tools, revit, inventor...those are going to hit hard as well.

inregard to next versions and subscription updates max looks to have a good next release with c.a.t. being bundled, maya and xsi...who knows...mudbox is having a bugfix currently but i'd expect to see them swing back with something new once zbrush 3.5 appears.

maybe this year will be a bit low key seeing as they more or less own the 3d market now so thay won't have to try too hard to stay ahead of the also ran's like houdini, cinema, modo.

XminusOne
01-16-2009, 01:06 PM
I don't remember there being this much stress when paper and pencils were used. I do wish all those that have gotten laid off the best of luck, may they find work they enjoy and may they find it quickly. This is a hard time for everyone, and i'm a bit suprised by some of the comments in here. Heartless, cold and selfish. Let's think of the individuals that are now without work instead of worrying about your favorite apps.

Cometsoft
01-16-2009, 01:46 PM
...This is a hard time for everyone, and i'm a bit suprised by some of the comments in here. Heartless, cold and selfish. Let's think of the individuals that are now without work instead of worrying about your favorite apps.

Agreed. These are very scary times and it's spreading to all parts of the economy.

I hope the people that are getting laid off don't see that kind of crap. So much bandwidth is being taken over by rude people. Sad.

vfx
01-16-2009, 03:20 PM
What a shame, even after buying out a lot of the competition, it's sad to see the most successful software company (one of at least) channel the difficult times with job losses. We're all gonna have to end up working for peanuts! or be mechanics in our spare time. :curious:

NicolasJordan
01-16-2009, 04:26 PM
It doesn't really surprise me a bit that companies like Autodesk and Adobe are starting to hurt a bit from tougher times. It will take much longer for tough times to effect smaller companies like Luxology, Newtek and Maxon. In fact some of these smaller companies thrive to a limited extent in times like these since they are the cheaper option with more value for your $$$.

Gentle Fury
01-16-2009, 06:36 PM
So, how much did the softimage acquisition cost? Maybe 750 annual salaries?

**Edit**

Looks like they paid $35 mil for Soft......so that would be some of the lower paid employees (probably the newer hires).....35 mil into 750 is about $47,000 ;)

aaraaf
01-16-2009, 06:43 PM
It's really sad to see people losing their jobs. On one hand I hope it doesn't effect the Autodesk software I use, and on the other you want to see that their positions were justified so a little pain is not necessarily unjustified.

As far as Carol Bartz handing off the layoff batton, I thought she was no longer CEO sometime in 2006, so this would have little to do with her...

Jon A. Bell
01-16-2009, 08:13 PM
It's really sad to see people losing their jobs. On one hand I hope it doesn't effect the Autodesk software I use, and on the other you want to see that their positions were justified so a little pain is not necessarily unjustified.

It DOES affect the software that you use.

A friend of mine on the 3ds max QA team was just part of this, and it angers me no end.

Autodesk will often hang onto managers and beancounters who literally don't understand or even use the software they're responsible for... but people who are DIRECTLY responsible for improving the product features, who have esprit de corps for 3D graphics software, and in-depth knowledge of end-user issues and how the software is used in production are among the first to be laid off, and the products suffer noticeably because of it. (And it shows in nonsense like Backburner being literally unusable for production for one entire year after 3ds max 9 was introduced -- then again, this was after a "reduction in force" in February 2004 that chopped the 3ds max QA team down to a quarter of its original size.)

Then Autodesk wonders why they can't get people to upgrade their software every time they come out with a new version...

-- Jon

DDS
01-16-2009, 08:36 PM
We're all gonna have to end up working for peanuts! or be mechanics in our spare time. :curious:

or lawyers...they love critic times, oh yes they do :rolleyes:

instinct-vfx
01-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Autodesk will often hang onto managers and beancounters who literally don't understand or even use the software they're responsible for...
-- Jon

Dont get me wrong. i am very sorry for everyone that lost their job. In the whole "no innovation from autodesk one thing gets lost: Autodesk is in this Biz to make money. Every company is (company, not individual to prevent flames :P ). And companies listening to the ppl that understand about the software and the needs of the customers and innovate go out of business or sell out. Why do you think Microsoft sold Softimage ? Why do you think Avid sold it ? Most likely because they werent really profitable. Autodesk seems to be one of the more profitable companies out there. And as much as i LOVE innovation and would like to see more i prefer a less innovative company staying in business over a company having to sell out or go out of business. It aint fair, it aint good and it aint fun...but this is a business for developers.

Sorry and best wishes to everyone loosing their jobs and best of luck on finding a new place to stay!

Regards,
Thorsten

Cometsoft
01-16-2009, 09:15 PM
or lawyers...they love critic times, oh yes they do :rolleyes:

Not this time, at least for the big firms. I'm hearing that a lot of them are posting 20-30% declines in revenues.

soulburn3d
01-16-2009, 10:37 PM
It DOES affect the software that you use.

A friend of mine on the 3ds max QA team was just part of this, and it angers me no end.

Autodesk will often hang onto managers and beancounters who literally don't understand or even use the software they're responsible for... but people who are DIRECTLY responsible for improving the product features, who have esprit de corps for 3D graphics software, and in-depth knowledge of end-user issues and how the software is used in production are among the first to be laid off, and the products suffer noticeably because of it. (And it shows in nonsense like Backburner being literally unusable for production for one entire year after 3ds max 9 was introduced -- then again, this was after a "reduction in force" in February 2004 that chopped the 3ds max QA team down to a quarter of its original size.)

Then Autodesk wonders why they can't get people to upgrade their software every time they come out with a new version...

Quoted for agreement. This will most definately affect the software we use, as well as the lives of 750 people and their families. A very sad day.

- Neil

Artbot
01-16-2009, 10:45 PM
... but people who are DIRECTLY responsible for improving the product features, who have esprit de corps for 3D graphics software, and in-depth knowledge of end-user issues and how the software is used in production are among the first to be laid off....

Sadly, those peoples' duties do not include having a say in who gets laid off and who doesn't. Survival of the un-fittest in action.

Boone
01-16-2009, 11:54 PM
To those who are affected by this action; I wish them the best of luck in getting back into work.

depleteD
01-16-2009, 11:57 PM
I wonder what that CEO's exit package was...

NicolasJordan
01-17-2009, 01:06 AM
I wonder what that CEO's exit package was...

To much. I listened to the modocast today and Brad Peebler said Autodeks CEOs salary was $700,000 per year and once all the bonuses and stuff were added it was many times more than that figure. It must be public knowledge if he found out how much the guy made. Here is a link to the modcast for anyone who is interested. http://www.luxology.com/modcast/audio.aspx?id=66

Kabab
01-17-2009, 01:27 AM
To much. I listened to the modocast today and Brad Peebler said Autodeks CEOs salary was $700,000 per year and once all the bonuses and stuff were added it was many times more than that figure. It must be public knowledge if he found out how much the guy made. Here is a link to the modcast for anyone who is interested. http://www.luxology.com/modcast/audio.aspx?id=66
And she deserves every cent of it she took the company from 1 billion a year revenue to 2 billion.

How many people here can do that?

Mike Pauza
01-17-2009, 02:32 AM
And she deserves every cent of it she took the company from 1 billion a year revenue to 2 billion.

Well, I agree that helming a large company towards higher market share deserves more than most people might be comfortable with.

Having said that, IMO she not only had to have great people to make her decisions actually work, but her decisions that worked well in the short term have yet to be evaluated in the long run.

-Mike

mypeople
01-17-2009, 02:33 AM
I drive by autodesk every weekend my girlfriend and i head to costco. its weird that its so close and all this is happening a few miles from me. i agree with whoever said that thing about not cutting softimage employees. something about softimage i cant explain, but i'm so passionate about xsi and how good of a program it is i want nothing to happen to it.

its horrible that nearly 800 people are losing their jobs, thats awful but i hope that nothing happens to softimage.

hanskloss
01-17-2009, 02:40 AM
A few of my friends at the top of the Maya chain just got let go and it was a shocker really since they were part of the original Maya core team. Really sad to see them go. I hope they find a good place somewhere fast. Great talent wasted really. I want through this with Autodesk just last year and now it seems the second wave just hit. Times are tough, I wish those guys/gals all the best.

Revitgnome
01-17-2009, 07:15 AM
Yeahh it really sucked. I was very sad to see some of my colleagues go.

I wish them all well in their future endeavors.

--Regards

nunobraz
01-17-2009, 12:38 PM
It's a shame this has to happen. But even in time of crisis there's room for good professionals. I'm sure that those talented 750 won't have difficulties in finding new jobs. I hope so.

Now Yahoo will taste the "3F's" principle.

ptech
01-17-2009, 03:30 PM
wow so no one is safe - Autodesk drop 750 jobs here

whilst -

Adobe had annouced a cut of 600 jobs

http://www.siliconvalley.com/news/ci_11129786?nclick_check=1

AMD / ATI cut 1,100 jobs

http://www.siliconvalley.com/ci_11471507?source=most_viewed

when will this end....

NicolasJordan
01-17-2009, 04:26 PM

Revenue doesn't necessarily translate to profit but I'm sure they weren't doing to badly in the profitability area.

cresshead
01-18-2009, 05:07 AM
A few of my friends at the top of the Maya chain just got let go and it was a shocker really since they were part of the original Maya core team. Really sad to see them go. I hope they find a good place somewhere fast. Great talent wasted really. I want through this with Autodesk just last year and now it seems the second wave just hit. Times are tough, I wish those guys/gals all the best.

would be neat to see some of these chaps go on to work for say modo, houdini, cinema or lightwave or if their between jobs and want to show their skills off a bit...go and add some cool devleopments to blender!

Boone
01-18-2009, 10:23 AM
would be neat to see some of these chaps go on to work for say modo, houdini, cinema or lightwave or if their between jobs and want to show their skills off a bit...go and add some cool devleopments to blender!

Quoted for agreement.

aaraaf
01-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Looked it up and found the info... Carol Bartz hasn't been CEO of Autodesk since 2006.

Carl Bass is the CEO and has been since then (he's been with the company about 15 years minus his much publicized albeit brief abrupt departure).

Her exit package and salary were subject to the company then, before some of the big acquisitions including Mudbox and Softimage but before the acquisition of Maya.

Everyone on the forums has wondered how the Adobe style acquisitions would serve Autodesk in the long run, and the 3D community in general. We might have some of our answers now. I do wonder how much of the downsizing of the teams is hidden underneath the veil of economic downturn instead of the cold corporate "reducing redundancies" you usually hear after mergers and acquisitions (which the products owners were promised wouldn't happen)...

The adage "Necessity is the Mother of Invention" usually holds. Since some of those guys are "movers and shakers"... the one thing that will probably come from this, like happens often in economic downturn and massive layoffs is some of these guys are going to do whatever they can to feed themselves and their families... new companies and new products will be born. Autodesk and Adobe could very well have planted the seeds of their next major competitors.

I do really hope all of them fall on their feet and go on to do great work.

DuttyFoot
01-19-2009, 12:49 AM
you are right, she left in 2006

Carol Bartz is executive chairman of the board of Autodesk, Inc. Bartz was chairman, president and CEO of Autodesk for 14 years and stepped-down in April, 2006. During her tenure, the company diversified its product line and grew revenues from $285 million to $1.523 billion in FY06.
Bartz previously held positions at Sun Microsystems, most recently serving as vice president of worldwide field operations and an executive officer of the company. Before joining Sun, she held product line and sales management positions at Digital Equipment Corporation and 3M Corporation.

Appointed to President Bush’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology, Bartz is one of a select group of industry leaders expected to play a key role in shaping and setting the government’s high tech agenda—ranging from R&D funding to new broadband incentives. She also serves on the Board of Directors of Intel Corporation, Cisco Systems, NetApp, and the Foundation for the National Medals of Science and Technology.

thorn3d
01-19-2009, 01:20 AM
Let's think of the individuals that are now without work instead of worrying about your favorite apps.

Most (if not all) people here are sorry for those that have lost their jobs. But we're not petty and cold for worrying about our apps' futures. We use these applications to put out messages and products in stores, on television, in print, and in movie theaters.

Our workflows and deadlines are sometimes -directly- tied to the development of these applications, so layoffs have a possible effect on our future paychecks, too.

thorn

Windwolf
01-19-2009, 05:43 PM
750.. might not be anyone from SoftImage..

but might be more than what is left from the Alias team...

XminusOne
01-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Most (if not all) people here are sorry for those that have lost their jobs. But we're not petty and cold for worrying about our apps' futures. We use these applications to put out messages and products in stores, on television, in print, and in movie theaters.

Our workflows and deadlines are sometimes -directly- tied to the development of these applications, so layoffs have a possible effect on our future paychecks, too.

thorn

Thanks for setting me straight:rolleyes:

thorn3d
01-20-2009, 02:28 AM
No worries. ;)

thorn

ThE_JacO
01-20-2009, 02:34 AM
750.. might not be anyone from SoftImage..

but might be more than what is left from the Alias team...

As far as I know, not a single person that was migrated from the Soft offices to AD Montreal was affected by this.
I think the largest part of it is in the CAD/CAM divisions, with a pretty strong impact on sales teams, and promoting more reliance on resellers for network capillarity to shave some margins.

Pretty bloody sure about the former, latter though is mostly speculation on my side from first or 2nd hand news, take it with a fistful of salt.

ptech
01-20-2009, 06:17 PM
http://www.managingautomation.com/maonline/news/read/Autodesk_to_Lay_off_Big_Chunk_of_Workforce_32448

cresshead
01-20-2009, 06:23 PM
this news story was posted last week...you gotta keep up!:D

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=719249

TetraLynx
02-24-2009, 04:24 AM
I know I must be missing a long discussed post (where this subject has been beaten to death) but how is Autodesk owning Maya, 3DS, and Softimage not a monopoly? Technically there are other smaller 3D companies but it seems like for full fledged Production pipeline Lightwave and Houdini are the only ones left not owned by Autodesk.

I hope Autodesk can recover so not many more people lose their jobs. I do wonder how much more innovation they will put into any of their products since they own most of the previous competition.

CGTalk Moderation
02-24-2009, 04:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.