PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs is Off the Job at Apple

RobertoOrtiz
01-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Apple CEO Steve Jobs, who's been battling pancreatic cancer for the past four years, said this afternoon that he's taking a medical leave of absence until June. Apple shareholders, who've been given three different stories about Jobs's health during the past week, now no longer know what to believe, and hit the SELL button. In after hours trading the stock plunged 10% before rebounding slightly.
http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1871811,00.html?xid=rss-topstories

cresshead
01-15-2009, 03:11 PM
i'm more interested in seeing him make a good recovery than caring 2 hoots about the stock price...if it takes 6 month's fine...no problem.

flipnap
01-15-2009, 03:26 PM
unfortunately we live in a world where jobs health IS the stock price.. he is a commodity and the captain of apple.. if he passes away its like the singer of a band going, things will never be the same and people react by selling stock.. just a fact of business.. cancer is truly horrible.. lost half my family to it..

3dtutorial
01-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Sadly one does not recover from pancreatic cancer.

:-(

J

webhead
01-15-2009, 04:07 PM
This news saddens me on several levels. I wish him well.

Boone
01-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Best of luck to Mr Job's health. As for selling shares before the man is even dead - its nice to see people still have their hearts in the right place...:rolleyes:

richcz3
01-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Cancer of whatever type is unfortunate when you are dealing with family friends and loved ones. I'm sure everyone at some point will be faced with knowing someone who has or will succumb to it. It can be very trying sad and unfortunate.

But be sure to note, as flipnap noted - Steve Jobs runs Apple from which shareholders have invested in support of Apple. Its clear that Steve Jobs is an Icon and visionary to many. He holds significant sway with Apple faithful and converts who have propagated enormous success for Apple during his tenure. Losing him while not having groomed an "heir apparent" to succeed him is what many are holding their breath on.

The dodgey (less than accurate) accounts on his health of late have been suspect causing fluctuations in Apple stock. Like it or not - shareholders have a right to hold all CEOs and their Boards accountable if there is deliberate misinformation on such an integral individual as he clearly is. One can only hope that he gets his ailments into remission and continue to lead Apple through it.

Emmanuel
01-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Sadly one does not recover from pancreatic cancer.

:-(

J

Wasn't he supposed to have a special pancreatic cancer from which You can recover ?

3dtutorial
01-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Wasn't he supposed to have a special pancreatic cancer from which You can recover ?

Well, for his and the sake of his family let's hope so.

That said however....

"Mortality of pancreatic cancer is the fifth highest mortality rate of all cancer related diseases in the United States today. On the basis of pancreatic cancer stages, cancer of the pancreas has the shortest average survival time compared with all other cancer types...."

So long term the prospects are not good.

J

robcat2075
01-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Actually I doubt that the pancreatic cancer is the problem. That was four years ago and if that kills you it kills you quickly. The official line at the time was that he had the uncommon version of pancreatic cancer that was operable.

from the always reliable Wikipedia:

The prognosis for pancreatic cancer is usually very grim; Jobs, however, stated that he had a rare, far less aggressive type known as islet cell neuroendocrine tumor.

He's 52 now. A prime age for any of a thousand other maladies to come up. Being very sick four years ago probably didn't help.

I hope he gets better, whatever the illness is.

Imhotep397
01-15-2009, 09:45 PM
I hope he gets better and I suspect Apple will be fine. He had a hormonal imbalance problem based on what he said and he has no reason to lie. My guess is that he is on the mend, but lost so much weight before the doctors could pinpoint the problem that he's in need of some serious rest and stress relief. Even when he is back in good health though I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to step down. Quite often after life threatening situations like this people start re-evaluating things.

Gentle Fury
01-15-2009, 10:42 PM
i'm more interested in seeing him make a good recovery than caring 2 hoots about the stock price...if it takes 6 month's fine...no problem.

That was the first thing I thought too when I first read that.....amazing that stock price would be mentioned in the same article as his health situation.....sad greedy world we live in!

BookMansBlues
01-15-2009, 11:00 PM
I could personally care less about the company, but it's never good to see someone suffering from cancer (no matter how evil the movie Pirates of Silicon Vally made them look), so in this respect I wiish him the best and hope he gets well soon.

cheebamonkey
01-16-2009, 12:16 AM
I could personally care less about the company, but it's never good to see someone suffering from cancer (no matter how evil the movie Pirates of Silicon Vally made them look), so in this respect I wiish him the best and hope he gets well soon.

I agree. I could care less if Apple crashes and burns and turtleneck shirts sold for 5 cents each. As cocky and smug as Steve is, I never like to hear someone suffering from cancer either.

John-S
01-16-2009, 12:30 AM
Steve Jobs was a bit hardcore but the movie pirates of silcone valley was not accurate in alot of aspects and had a part in the credits stating that scenes where basicly "blown out of proportion" to make good cinema...

Regardless, I hope he gets better. He is still making decisions from home during this time so...

I guess being the largest shareholder of disney isn't worth mentioning? He probably doesn't do as much visionary stuff for Pixar/Disney I suppose...

Imhotep397
01-16-2009, 12:56 AM
Yeah, it sounds like the Doctors believe the stress level is contributing to a food absorption problem, but he's still pulling the trigger on major decisions from home. It sound slike he's not ready to give the reigns up, as well he shouldn't, at this point. I still think John Ive should be the guy to take over, but it looks like with the last MacWorld they're doing more to get the rest of the management team out front to spread the "charm" around to prospective Apple customers.

Magnus3D
01-16-2009, 07:46 AM
Too bad Steve has healthproblems now, i wish him the best and hope he gets well soon.

/ Magnus

ThomasMahler
01-16-2009, 07:48 AM
...amazing that stock price would be mentioned in the same article as his health situation.....sad greedy world we live in!

When Jobs 'took a leave of absence' the first time around, Apple almost went bankrupt after not even 10 years. Say what you will about Jobs, but he's brilliant at selling his ideas and pushing Apple into the right direction.

Wish him all the best, hope he'll fully recover.

anishmations
01-16-2009, 12:58 PM
dats a very sad news. wishing him a speedy recovery!

mustique
01-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Jobs is a true legend.
There's no second guy like him in this industry maybe in the whole business world.
It's the creative/renegade vision that always set him apart from the rest of the faceless corporate monkeys around him.

I wish he recovers as soon as possible and continues to show the IT world
how it's done for many many years.

aaraaf
01-16-2009, 10:04 PM
I wish Steve Jobs the quickest recovery possible.

I don't think that investors pulling from Apple on his (hopefully) brief departure is heartless... They need to feed their families and fuel their retirement as well.

It's actually a hard and unpleasant compliment... Steve Jobs is kind of a really brilliant unique individual. Apple will really feel his loss and lack of leadership unless they appoint someone as strong and kind of creatively crazy as he has been. And those kinds of leaders are rare.

Gentle Fury
01-16-2009, 10:11 PM
When Jobs 'took a leave of absence' the first time around, Apple almost went bankrupt after not even 10 years. Say what you will about Jobs, but he's brilliant at selling his ideas and pushing Apple into the right direction.

Wish him all the best, hope he'll fully recover.

Thats not my point, im saying nothing bad about Jobs....what I meant was, can't they have a report that he is sick and we hope he recovers soon and not mention money.....the world revolves around greed so much so that his epitaph will be....damn, we're screwed now.

robcat2075
01-17-2009, 07:04 PM
They're talking liver transplant now...

Steve Jobs Said To Be Considering Liver Transplant (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=af4Bdn_Wfx7g&refer=home)

A transplant situation is pretty desperate stuff. I hope he's got good insurance.

My boyfriend was a kidney and pancreas transplant patient and for the first 2 months he felt great. But the transplant drugs are basically poisons and as they build up you feel sick and there's no undoing that. So he had 2 good months and 10 bad years.

On the plus side, his hair came back like a paintbrush and whenever he walked into a hospital ER and said "I'm a kidney and pancreas transplant patient and I have a..." everyone would immediately come to attention and whisk him in to see a doctor, which I'm sure pissed off the people in the waiting room with the broken arms and the screwdrivers sticking out of their legs.

aaraaf
01-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Thats not my point, im saying nothing bad about Jobs....what I meant was, can't they have a report that he is sick and we hope he recovers soon and not mention money.....the world revolves around greed so much so that his epitaph will be....damn, we're screwed now.

Apple employs a loooot of people. His health is directly related to thousands of people's livelihood. Some people's kids eat or not on Jobs' ability to lead. Not all of these people work for Apple directly and these numbers are things some people will follow. It may seem cold, but it's more than money for many. It's their houses and their tuitions and their food.

Again, I wish him a full recovery.

He's a guys who stays in the headlines and can actually match his celebrity with some genuine know how... he's one of the few really great corporate leaders of our time. That his name is synonymous with his company is rare these days. There are very few corporate leaders out there who are interesting, dynamic and smart enough to pull things off. I'm often not a big fan of Apple's products, but dang I generally love the company and how he runs things. He keeps a lot of the tech industry on their toes, and has helped a whole hell of a lot of animators do some wonderful things. Maybe not a traditional artist, but a lot of great art wouldn't exist without him.

This is something you can't say about a lot of people:

He's bigger than a single man.

Emmanuel
01-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Yeah, he's the BATMAN.
Seriously guys, couldn't we just close this thread, its nothing to do with CG and actually its Steve Jobs privacy, so why should anybody discuss this stuff HERE ?

leigh
01-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Steve Jobs' health has nothing to do with CG, people.

Closed.