PDA

View Full Version : CAT free for subscription customers...

millermeter
01-15-2009, 01:02 PM
this is from www.maxplugins.de (http://www.maxplugins.de)

"Ken Pimintel from Autodesk has announced on his blog that as of today (January 15th, 2009), all Max subscription customers can download a complete version of CAT (Character Animation Toolkit) compiled for Max 2009 (both 32-bit and 64-bit) for free! Up to now, this plugin was selling for $995. You will be able to download it at the subscription centre."

http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/blogs_ken/blog_detail/announcement_free_cat_for_subscription_customers/

cresshead
01-15-2009, 01:42 PM
i was crossing my fingers we'd 'maybe' see this in max 2010 due april but this is even better!

all i need to do now is finally get round to installing max 2009...been using max 2008 but this gives me a good reason to move on to max2009 now!

...brilliant!
Autodesk rock!

Mahlon
01-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Very cool news. I, too, had suspected that maybe we'd see CAT in max 2010 -- one of the main reasons I continued subscription this year. Because at $500, subscription ain't cheap!

Mahlon

theotheo
01-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Speculation ahead :

I heard the original developer joined softimage to work on the next ICE character animation stuff and CAT sorta got left behind (look at the latest releases)

So ADSK gets a hold of Soft and Cat, include cat with max, but are they going to keep developing it ? What happened to CS in all this mess?

Anyone else see this or is it just me?

-theo

cresshead
01-15-2009, 02:31 PM
the actual download will be available on 16th...his blog was just updated to let people know

cresshead
01-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Speculation ahead :

I heard the original developer joined softimage to work on the next ICE character animation stuff and CAT sorta got left behind (look at the latest releases)

So ADSK gets a hold of Soft and Cat, include cat with max, but are they going to keep developing it ? What happened to CS in all this mess?

Anyone else see this or is it just me?

-theo

No, just you!:wavey:

biped was and is still a great set of tools, which have been updated and expanded with each release of 3dsmax...maybe you should try using them if you have a good knowledge of how they work...adding c.a.t to the mix will certainly expand 3dsmax capabilities 'out of the box'

edit> i'll grant you biped wroks in 'it's own way' but then again it was doing stuff for years that no other app or plugin could do so you have to take that onboard and not get tied up in 'i want t like this'...it does it's thing 'it's way' and once you get it you can do some pretty nifty things with ease....many games were created using biped and motion capture btw so it's not like no one used it 'ever'

as for c.a.t. i've heard it was buggy...well now i can test it for myself and for FREE too.

today is a good day to be on autodesk subs!

theotheo
01-15-2009, 02:56 PM
cresshead, I get what you're saying and I have to say I do agree :) To a certain extent.

I feel alot of tools native to max have been neglected for third party stuff, that almost never see an upgrade, just tiny bug fixes. I hope CAT gets developed as I bought it back when It first came out. Buggy as hell but quite nice.

I'll shut up now :)

dprgb
01-15-2009, 05:16 PM
the actual download will be available on 16th...his blog was just updated to let people know

It's up in the subscription center now, I just downloaded it!

joecoke69
01-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Hmmmm can't seem to see it anywhere in the subscription web site.

joecoke69
01-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Hmmmm i can't seem to see it, where is it in the subscription web page?

cresshead
01-19-2009, 01:36 PM
Hmmmm i can't seem to see it, where is it in the subscription web page?

if your already on 3dsmax subscription you'll see it listed...the generic subscription page will not have it on there just so you know.

Kanga
01-21-2009, 06:27 AM
With CAT there is no limit on awsomeness :)!

cresshead
01-21-2009, 07:04 AM
link to past thead with c.a.t. training vids

a big thankyou to Gräck (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=49234) for creating these btw.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=6&t=465621&page=2&pp=15&highlight=cat+video+tutorial

CGTalk Moderation
01-21-2009, 07:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.