PDA

View Full Version : exporting skeleton + mesh = 70mbs !?!?!?!?

sensai2nd
06-25-2003, 08:17 PM
Alright, I've finally got some characters to export out of LW fine and they auto-characterize in MB fine . . .

BUT. . . the files I'm exporting out of LW are like anywhere from 25 - 80mbs!!! I've tried this with some of the free characters from 3dFestival (Jack Napalm and Noodle), not just my own, and I get the same result . . .

What in the world am I doing to get such huge files when all there is in the scene is the skeleton and the character mesh?
Anyone else run into this situation?

Peace.

Pedrotheartist
06-25-2003, 09:42 PM
I know what you mean, whenever I upload/download FBX files I tend to zip them up.

It's worth remembering that FBX is an uncompressed file format.
I've just this very minute zipped a 15 meg FBX file to a 3.5 meg file.

80 megs is quite impressive though.

policarpo
06-25-2003, 09:48 PM
There's also a lot of motion data embedded in those files. After you merge the animation into LightWave...just save it as a new .LWS and see what happens to the file size, since now all you will be referencing is your .LWO and .LWS and any materials you might have. :)

sensai2nd
06-26-2003, 12:47 AM
yeah, I'll try that Policarpo . . . and this wouldn't even be a big deal if the exporting, in LW, and importing, in MB, didn't take five minutes a piece. . .

I've tried so many variations of doing things and the smallest file I can export out of LW is like 25 megs . . .

Just curious as to what size .fbx file other people's characters are generating . . .

CurtisG
06-26-2003, 01:10 AM
Things that will make you FBX files large:

- Animation data on skeletons
- Morphs or blend shapes
- Video
- Hidden geometery
- Poly count

Check in the scene Navigator to see how many polys are in your scene.

Cheers,

sensai2nd
06-26-2003, 01:26 AM
edit:

hmmm . . . okay, i have no animation data when I export, no morphs or blend shapes, no hidden geometry, that I know of, and the poly count for the character, Proton's "Noodle", is around 43k . . .
Thanks for any input on this, guys; this is driving me nuts . . .

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.