PDA

View Full Version : Playing with the 9.5 demo

Azmyth
01-14-2009, 11:19 PM
I downloaded the lightwave 3d demo today, and this is a really dumb question... but I am just starting to learn about 3d and trying to choose an app to stick with. I was dead set on 3ds max when a friend talked up Lightwave as being more intuitive for someone like me who likes the "the labels almost tell you what it does" kind of thing. I like the UI in Lightwave, and I like the seperate apps instead of one app with everything bundled in to wade through. I opened it up, and tried to make a primitive just as you would do in any other app. But for me, all it does is shows a basic lined outline of the "box" as this was a box primitive. It doesn't matter what mode I put it on.. shade, wireframe shade, wireframe color, etc. it doesn't change. The window flashes and it stays the flat 2d lines.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is it something wrong with the app?

I watched a few tutorials to make sure I wasn't going crazy and they are creating the primitive exactly the same way I was trying to, and even had it on "shade wireframe" and the object shows up in perspective view in 3D just like it should. Please note I am in perspective view when doing this.

TrueArt Support
01-14-2009, 11:28 PM
If I understood you correctly, you didn't adjusted 3rd axis..

Make sure that Numeric Window is open (just press 'n')

Try clicking on Actions > Activate, and/or Reset..

The best perspective viewport mode is Textured Wire.

Weetos
01-15-2009, 12:20 AM
While creating primitives, it's convenient to keep CTRL+LMB pressed while dragging your mouse - that constrains X,Y,Z dimensions to be the same - so you get a perfect cube, sphere or whatever - Also you might notice there's handles on primitive tools that allow you to control one dimension independently of the other two - then when you're set press RMB to commit

Thats said, TrueArt is right, the numeric panel is your friend if you need precision

biliousfrog
01-15-2009, 11:47 AM
I didn't realise RMB was commit, I've always used enter or space

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2009, 11:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.