PDA

View Full Version : WIP Still: Antique revolver

Marcel
06-25-2003, 05:31 PM
I'd like some critiques on the material of this revolver. I've put quite some time already in the texture, but I still feel it is lacking something. Please ignore the tacky pink handle for now, that will be covered up by the hand of my character...

The colors and proportions might be a bit weird, but that is all part of the masterplan :)

http://members.rott.chello.nl/mvijfwinkel/revolver.JPG

Made with Max version 5, here is the wireframe:

http://members.rott.chello.nl/mvijfwinkel/revolver_wire.gif

Dave Black
06-25-2003, 05:51 PM
Marcel, I really like what you have going on.

I can't really comment too much, as I don't know if the weapon has been discharged, or it's age and useage.

If it's been used a good bit, I'd add some powder and lead residue on the from of the barrel. Usually, there will be some heat discoloration too. In this case, as the weapon seems to be made with brass or gold, the discoloration would be just a more saturated color. Perhaps a bit of grey and some more white than you have there now. I wish I could find some reference pics for you, but dirty guns are hard to find.

Perhaps a little more wear too. Like holster wear and oil residue. Also a few scratches showing bright metal under the finish. But again, the weapon looks as though that material is solid, not a finish.

Neat design. I wish I could crit it more, but I really like it.

-3DZ

:D

CarmineRedrum
06-25-2003, 05:52 PM
I think these are great materials so far.

To be honest, the handle doesnt really bother me...I actually kind of like it from a color theory perspective. It might be my monitor but it looks closer to purple than pink so I think could look cool to darken it and make it a deeper purple to contrast the darker yellow.

If you wanted to push the idea of an antique, some scratches and dirt or dust could help. I noticed some wear on the corner but that could be exaggerated. If it were me and I really wanted to sell it I would darken the metal that is touched often. Over time oil would build up on places like the front of the trigger or the top of the hammer.

I dont know...maybe thats going a little over board. If you arent going to get any closer than this I think its good as is.

road
06-25-2003, 05:53 PM
Maybe try making the specular a little more hot...
brighter...

that's the only thing i see that you could try out...

Marcel
06-25-2003, 07:45 PM
Thanks everybody, those were some great suggestions.

I've added a bit more color here and there (red/brownish oiley dark colors), the barrel front is also darker. The specular is also set a bit higher and warmer (good one!).

http://members.rott.chello.nl/mvijfwinkel/revolver_b.jpg

It could indeed use more wear and tear, but I'm getting a bit frustrated with the speed at which my small project is going, I don't have the patience to sit doing and tweak those details. Hopefully later on...

Many thanks, this new forum is working great!

Rei Ayanami
06-25-2003, 10:12 PM
I know its stylized but...
the center of gravity is going to be very near the front, if you were to release any presseure of the hand to the handle it would slip forward straight away, and when it fires it is going to recoil like mad!

add a bit more ware to the end of the barrel too, and see if you can get a small bump map in to reflect the fact that the barrel will be rifled, although it may just make moir and look rubish, give it a try?

BiTMAP
06-26-2003, 07:28 AM
actualy the front heavy will not make it recoil too bad would it?? i don't know... but i like the style, just seems like the bump needs to be a bit more sharp.

Doogie
06-26-2003, 07:49 AM
Good look'n gun, I dig the proportions and color.

But something looks odd with the cylinder. Is the bump map missing, it just looks flat and blurry to me?

Marcel
06-26-2003, 10:05 AM
Yeah, the cylinder is indeed a bit blurrier then the rest. The bumpmap and other maps are exactly the same so I blame the curve of the geometry for the effect. I'll make the bumpmap a bit stronger on the cylinder.

BiTMAP
06-26-2003, 10:24 AM
I actualy like the colours of the revolver.

Dargon
06-26-2003, 10:26 AM
I think it's a really cool design - much like a lot of early versions of revolvers.

However, it looks like the bore on the barrel is not as big as the ones in the cylinder (perhaps just a trick of the eye?)

If this were true, the gun would explode the first time you fired it...

I'v included (hope you don't mind) a sketch on your drawing to illustrate my point - I copied a circle over that just fit on the cylinder bore, over to the barrel, and you can make out some metal edging on the inside of the circle...

davids
06-26-2003, 11:53 AM
ya looks great. i think you need to add more contrast in photoshop to your color / bump and spec maps. You also need some more sharper white spots on your spec map its looks like. I'm currently texturing a lot of metal myself and i find more contrast will bring it to life more.

raz-0
06-26-2003, 08:00 PM
ok, first off the technical stuff.

One, don't worry about the minor mismatch in bore size vs. chamber size. The chamber in a gun is always slightly larger than the bore (at least with a rifled barrel).

Second, the shape of the handgrip is fine. it's a ploughshare style grip. With a high bore axis, it makes the gun roll back, and absorb the reoil to some extent that way.

I wouldn't change either fo those items from other criticism.

Hwoever, there are a couple of things that are a bit off that you might want to consider.

First of all the barrel length. If this is supposed to be an old gun, it means old powder. Which burns slow compared to modern stuff. That barrel is SHORT (unless the gun is really huge) even by todays standdards with modern powder. Stick another inch on it, and it's be more realistic for something old. I doubt it will be on people's minds seeing it in action, but it might be important to you.

Next up is the metal/finish/texture. It looks like cast metal, which you don't make guns out of (well at least not revolvers). I can't tell if it is that there is no engraving detail to the texture, inside the raised edges, or if the detail is lost due to compression and resolution.

Also, regardless of the detail, it should be shinier. Right now, it looks about as shiny as a bronze casting (although with a more brass like color). Almost every gun finish has more shine to it with the possible exceptions of certain types of browning, parkerizing, or some odd phosphate finishes. If we are talking antique, the only one that could possibly apply i browning, which that doesn't look like.

Now for the artistic critique, or what I think would work on it:

Make the base color of the gun blued. Preferably case hardened bluing (case hardened bluing is like regular bluing, but has this sheen to it like oil on a puddle's surface)

(example of case hardened bluing)
http://www.newenglandarms.com/Merkel,Sauer/07527-6.jpg

(another example of case hardened bluing)
http://www.colt.com/CMCI/downloads/SAA_P1870.jpg

Make the smooth raised edges on the frame, and the buttcap on the grip a nice shiny gold leaf. Also the smooth indentations on the cylinder. (possibly the ahmmer and trigger too).

In the relieved sections of the frame, I'd have some nice filligree looking etching with gold leaf accenting it, or keep it subtle and go for blued stippling like in the shotgun picture linked.

On the other hand, I wouldn't go to that much effort if this is going to be 12 pixels big in an animation.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.