PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Weapons Walkcycle

swirch
01-14-2009, 02:20 PM
I modeled a character (based off the proportions of Heavy Weapons guy) throughout the past couple months, and I got around to making a walkcycle.

video (http://www.samwirch.com/video/walkcycle)

I'd would like to get some feedback/comments/criticisms on how I did.

Right now it's just the basic walkcycle, stay tuned for a tip-toe and run cycles in the coming days.

thanks,
Sam

Delfor
01-15-2009, 02:19 AM
Well hr doesn't really seems to be heavy enough compared to his size. The main problem I see, is that he is not taking any impact to his knees. Someone that heavy would definitely be bending his knees after contact position. In your walk it looks like his lowest pos. is his contact one. that can't be. Even slim person must absorb some little impact to his knees. The same with heavy but more obviously.

Nucleo
01-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Hey man,

Really good work so far. The walk cycle looks smooth and I would suggest you keep improving it till your mind goes numb haha.

Anyway a few suggestions might be :

1. You need to have some overlap on the arms head and spine. Spine looks a bit stiff right now.
2. Try finding a better angle for the camera or if its not a staging problem then you might need to work on the silhouete. Right now we are missing his left arm
3. Hips/Leg seem to floaty might wanna fix your spacing.
4. Hands i think for this walk you dont need to animate them in all axis now it seems there is some weird movement.
5. There is a flickering problem might be skinning/rigging or model problem dont know but its really distracting :).

Well this is a great start. Keep pushing man you can learn a lot from walk cycles. Hope this helps cya.

Wilson-3d
01-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Off to a good start. Looks like you still need to add twist in the hips and shoulders right now it looks like they are all just facing straight ahead the entire time.

swirch
01-16-2009, 03:24 AM
Thanks those are all great suggestions. It was hard to keep making adjustments to the cycle after I had been working on it and looking at it for a long period of time. I think I had a good start I just needed to finish it off with some subtle movements.

I'll try to work in these suggestions and get an update this weekend.

Thanks again!

swirch
02-14-2009, 03:53 AM
Sorry it took so long, but here is an updated render of the walkcycle

Walkcycle (http://samwirch.com/video/walkcycle-updated)

I fixed the flicker, rendered from a different angle, and added more weight to/after the contact pose of his feet.

Let me know what you think. By the way, a run cycle should be coming soon.

swirch
02-24-2009, 05:27 AM
I made a couple small tweaks, giving the hips some side-to-side translation, and adjusted the spine a bit.

walkcycle (http://www.samwirch.com/video/walkcycle-updated)

Let me know what you think, I think this will be the final unless something is suggested.

-Sam

Tad Ghostal
02-24-2009, 05:45 AM
Looks like your off to a good start. For a guy that size I'd think he'd need to move a lot slower and come down a lot harder when he takes a step. It needs a lot more rotation in the torso, he's looking pretty stiff.

torresmedia
02-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Yeah, it looks great :) What's next? ;) Hehe.... Would like to see this work get somewhere. :bounce:

swirch
02-27-2009, 01:49 AM
Yea thanks, he probably could use some more rotation and weight coming down on the contact poses. I'll throw that on the list of things to do. This was one of my first walkcycles, so I think I tried to keep it pretty plain to get the basics down.

I would love to work on some smaller animations for him in the meantime, any ideas?

ZacD
02-27-2009, 01:56 AM
needs more tilt at the hips and shoulders,

CGTalk Moderation
02-27-2009, 01:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.