PDA

View Full Version : Animation: Runtime Teaser

DerPapa
06-25-2003, 03:46 PM
Hi, we are a studio in Germany, just finished the teaser for our inhouse project.

It's completely done with 3dsmax, rendered with Cebas Final Render (no GI here) and finished with Combustion.

SoundFX and Music are also done Inhouse, so play loud ;)

Big version - runtime.mov - (20 MB) (http://groundstudios.com/runtime/videos/runtime.mov)

Small version - runtime_small_mono.mov (10 MB) (http://groundstudios.com/runtime/videos/runtime_small_mono.mov)

http://groundstudios.com/runtime/pics/runtime.jpg

hit us, with comments, critiques and jobs!

Martin, Peter, Michael

We did some "howto videos".

Mountainterrain
the first one shows how we avoid the massive polycount in the mountain scene. A delete mesh modifier deletes every geometry of a lowres plane, that is outside a cone object, which covers the cameraview. first then the plane becomes tesselated and displaced. shadows of the sun are generated by a prerendered finalRENDER shadowmap.
landscape MOV - 3,3MB (http://www.ground-studios.de/runtime/videos/mo_landscape.mov)

Shadowmapsize
Due to our "fake GI approach" we had to use many lights in order to get soft shadows. to keep the mapsize small we also animated the lights
patrick MOV - 3,1MB (http://www.ground-studios.de/runtime/videos/mo_patrick.mov)

Layers
Layers rule! especially where effects are hard to achieve in 3D. The bubbels in the dive in scene e.g. had to be rendeed in 2 layers.
dive in MOV - 0,9MB (http://www.ground-studios.de/runtime/videos/mo_dive_in.mov)

uncon
06-25-2003, 04:59 PM
It's a little hard to tell what's going on, it looks like he sets a bomb so the short is that he is running for 5 minutes? I can't say much about the teaser because it doesn't give much story. I can say that your settings look pretty cool, especially those mountains! they kick ass. The guys face might help from a bit more texture though, he looks kinda plastic now.

Great job

Mafty
06-25-2003, 05:30 PM
i thought it was pretty good, except when the camera is behind him showing him running away, something about the wya he was running loked pretty weird, his legs didnt run normal, or it loked that way to me, but lokos good anywho

DerPapa
06-25-2003, 06:36 PM
thanks for your replies :)

Ok, just to enlighten you storywise:
We are watching Patrick McManus, a guy from a bomb disposal unit trying to defuse a bomb. Yes, the "story" is mainly told during the radiotalk between Patrick and his operator.
If you can hardly understand them, due to the interferences on the radio, here is their dialouge :)

Patrick: "I've never seen one like this before, control"
Control: "then leave it alone, Patrick. Headquater is sending over Johnson"
Patrick: "it looks like a T/472, but more advanced"
Control: "Station is evacuated, Patrick. Forget the bomb and get outa there"
Patrick: "Gimme 5 Minutes and this baby is dead"....."shit!"
Control: "You are dead in 5 minutes if you don't get your ass outta there"

Michael

Wolf S
06-28-2003, 02:36 PM
Run Patrick Run!

Captain
06-28-2003, 04:54 PM
WOW! Where do I start! That Water, Those Mountains, The Bubbles, The Textures, The Models, The caustic reflections on the walls, HELL EVEN THE LOGO are AWESOME. GREAT GREAT AND GREAT. I'm excited to see the end result. Only thing is the guy looks a little funny when he runs, but one of my friends runs kinda like that so its no biggy. Once again, good work.

-Captain

DeathGoth
06-28-2003, 07:30 PM
this is a cool scene I agree that dudes got some type of gimp or something but the mountains and water are great.... nice work none the less...

ShadowM8
06-28-2003, 07:46 PM
Dieser film ist gut!
I enjoyed it a lot! Nice work!
I am guessing there would be more RUNTIME to come since this is just a teaser ?

One thing i did notice is that the running animation did not look very natural to me!

BTW do you have any freelance jobs available atm?

DerPapa
06-29-2003, 07:18 PM
thank you, for your replies.
Due to the fact that we had no possibility to really MoCap especially for this Project, we used some bipfiles coming with Characterstudio as a basis for our animation.
The bip's are optimated for NTSC (30 FPS), which means, if you use a bipfile for PAL (25 FPS) with "map frames" option, you will get a much slower motion. Quantize will keep the speed, but distributes the keys on ticks, which is a hell to control.

Also in almost every Mocap data the feet are not locked onto the ground when they have full contact. They always dive in a bit.
The third Problem was, that the run from the CD wasn't really fast.

We did the following: We applied a standard run.bip onto a biped.
went to the trackview, selected all keys of the bip and scaled them smaller (on Frames:Ticks)
After that the biped run much faster. We shot a mesh of the biped on every fullframe, which gave us a frozen status whole cycle.
Now a new Biped was created and animated to exactly match the poses we snapshoted.

It's odd, but the standard bipfiles, delivered with CS, are looping exactly one time! All tries to do a nice loop in a Moflow failed, cause the moflow needs "flesh" to do a smooth loop.

So, our runloop is a result of reanimating a Mocapfile, maybe not the nicest technique, but to do a human run, we choosed this as our favorite style :)

ShadowM8
06-29-2003, 07:44 PM
Yeah I can see that being a problem!

Have you guys ever heard of Motion Builder? Its a professional animation software that sells really cheap (200$) right now and works like a candy! (Well I can go on and on about how good it is) but the point I am trying to make is that it comes with some mocap files of running that you could possibly use in your production!

BTW do you have any freelance jobs available atm?

Neox
06-29-2003, 08:46 PM
nice work, always cool to see new stuff from you :)

but i think the character needs a little more work on the textures, currently he is looking pretty semi real, so not toony enough to be toony and not real enough to be real

Und der rennt teilweise als hätte er Rasierklingen im Schritt, beim Laufen berühren sich die Oberschenkel auch manchmal, wenns durchclipt is das doch auf die Entfernung nich das Problem ;)

IronSRS
06-29-2003, 08:52 PM
hi papa,
nice work like said on 3dmax!

@neox:
war das absicht,dass du deutsch geredet hast?? :surprised

Neox
06-29-2003, 08:59 PM
Ja ;)
keine Ahnung was Rasierklingen im Schritt heisst, und übersetzen hätte mir zu lange gedauert :blush:

DerPapa
06-29-2003, 11:05 PM
thank you guys :)

Razorblades in his pants?!

Nargh, everybody is complaining on that!
I told Peter: "Hum, he's looking a bit weird from behind, isn't he? ....silence.... nah, it's his unique style!... OK! ;)

maybe I'll work on the Patrickrunfinalfinal_final02.bip AGAIN!

Yes, Patrick has 2 textursets a clean one, in the beginning, and a muddy one, when he passed the tube. Well, I could state now that the "game-ish" texuring was a special intend, but in fact, we lost some time with R&D on the rendering and so, did some workaround for quicker texturing. We knew that the final animation would be not photoreal (that wasn't our intention, cause until now, everyone missed this goal) So we came up with some quick textures that everyone of us... just likes :)

Michael

REPLY ON!

TheGreenGiant
06-29-2003, 11:36 PM
Hello.

FInally got around to watching the videos and I pretty much concur with what's been said so far.

My major quibble would not so much be the running motion but the legs? Why are they so wide open when they're in motion? It looks VERY strange.

That said, the clip is aweseome and I really dug the open sky bit.

ShadowM8
06-29-2003, 11:51 PM
Yeah i agree with TheGreenGiant!

I am working on the game currently and we had the same problem when we were doing running animation for our characters! Its not really a problem its just something that can be easily overlooked. It kinda looks like he just got of a horse or has balls the size of a football.

DerPapa
06-30-2003, 12:27 AM
Cool, you like it.
Yes, his legs are opened maybe a bit too much. It should give him a more masculine touch. I think the sidebags on his trousers don't work for him this way, making his legs even wider.

I will look at the anim tomorrow, maybe quickrender a test without the bags.

we have currently no freelancejobs to offer, sorry :hmm:

Michael

REPLY ON!

t-man152
06-30-2003, 01:44 PM
I love what you've done with this. I love the slow motion on the diving part and just have to say WOW for those mountains. Normaly I dont like techno but it goes great with your spot. and you synchronized the music with the images it gets a little muted when the character goes under water, you just hear the beat when it goes in slow motion; realy cool . I think that what needs the most work is the dialog at the start. other than that I love this movie. it rocks:buttrock: . how long will the full movie be?

Tephlon
06-30-2003, 04:32 PM
It looks like the introtrailer of a game! I love it!

The run is weird, mostly because of the "wideleggedness" but doesn't bother me to much.
(Did it bother anyone that Freeman in HalfLife wore glasses?)

DerPapa
06-30-2003, 07:33 PM
just to give your a closer look on Patrick, this is an older Pic of him in full gear.
in the final he has some, not so dense eyebrows, and the facemask of his helmet differs a bit from the final version.

http://www.ground-studios.de/runtime/pics/partick_fullgear.jpg
he is a nice guy, isn't he? (BTW, this is GI ;) )

Michael

REPLY ON!

t-man152
06-30-2003, 11:25 PM
I dont know how many times ive looked at it and its still the coolest vid. I bet that you could get that on MTV if you take out the Runtime Logo. :applause: again wonderful job on the slow motion effect on the dive. it probably wasnt the most dificult thing to do but its pretty impressive :beer: I must have looked at those five seconds over 50 times and its still so cool and goes perfect with the music

DerPapa
06-30-2003, 11:39 PM
t-man152, you really make me (us) damn proud!

thank you!

Michael

t-man152
06-30-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by DerPapa
t-man152, you really make me (us) damn proud!

thank you!

Michael

:cry: :cry: :cry: <---- tears of joy

you know my name

t-man152
07-01-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by TheGreenGiant
Hello.
My major quibble would not so much be the running motion but the legs? Why are they so wide open when they're in motion? It looks VERY strange.

Ill explain why patrick's legs are spread out. its because he cant un-arm a bomb. the fact is he doesnt know how to. what he does is he comes acts like if he knows what hes doing and then "accidentaly" trigers the bomb. because of this he has to run. thats all hes good at, and when you run for a living every day(cause you cant do your job right) well your muscle develop. and Patrick has big leg muscles wich makes him run kind of funny. mind you it wasnt a mistake made by the animators or the modelers it was done by a study of scientific facts. so stop complaining its great the way it is and I hope they dont send patrick if I have a bomb in my house.

lol Just joking

DerPapa
07-01-2003, 12:35 PM
added some shots to the teaserpic, to tease you some more :P

Clickit!

Michael

t-man152
07-03-2003, 01:41 AM
I still cant figure out if its going to be a Movie or a game either way ill be checking it out

DerPapa
07-08-2003, 10:02 PM
well in fact it's a self promotion, but yes, game companies and filmproductions are our focused targets :)

Michael

DerPapa
07-25-2003, 08:30 AM
There is a little Making of on the german cgchannel now.

check it out!

cgchannel.de (http://www.cgchannel.de)

Michael

ShadowM8
07-25-2003, 08:38 AM
thanks for the link DerPapa!

mexus
07-26-2003, 09:06 PM
Great trailer.

It doesn't convey much storytelling besides that he is running from a bomb or something that may kill him. What will I be playing getting myself into here?

Very nice music and choreography. Character is really cool and the run is very unique and realistic as many people in life actually run that way. The squint in the eyes is fantastic when he attempts to connect wires together.

Good luck with this project.. great work on the textures and models!!

Naseem
07-26-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by uncon
It's a little hard to tell what's going on, it looks like he sets a bomb so the short is that he is running for 5 minutes? I can't say much about the teaser because it doesn't give much story. I can say that your settings look pretty cool, especially those mountains! they kick ass. The guys face might help from a bit more texture though, he looks kinda plastic now.

Great job

he doesn’t run weird, he has muscle legs that’s y he run like that.

Anyways the animation is very cool:applause: , the music could use more dramatic flavor, he is defusing a bomb and trance music is not the idle approach for this situation. I notices some liner animation when he turned in the first corner towards the door, that should be corrected, but u probably will get mad to render again:shrug:

DerPapa
07-29-2003, 11:39 AM
Yes, martok. In fact the music was first, so maybe the idea of the teaser is not the idle approach here ;)
and yes, the run around the corner made me headache and is not prefect at all. He has to lower his speed more. I tried to do this sequence with pure KF animation but had to match the Motion from the Mocapdata and had to end exactly into the runcycle in the end of the corner.
I had big problems to get this movements believable. Need some more experience I guess :P

thanx for your input
Michael

summeralive
07-29-2003, 01:49 PM
i see ur work...is nice!! mybe the background need to add more design and detail....
the website is good !!!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

harly
07-29-2003, 04:09 PM
That´s a great leap from the first animatics you´ve showed me in your studio and until that trailer now!!!
:applause:

The lighting is great but it would be far better if you´had used real GI. ( I know that´s Cebas´fault ;)
The textures could be more dirty , the doorhalls more gloomy...
Well that´s a question of taste.
The mountains simpy rock!!
And that running animation... that guy has something between his legs...but definitively better than all these awful default Character Studio Footsteps anims...

Many Greetings to Duesseldorf !!!

PS. Wenn ich mal wieder bei Euch vorbeikommen sollte will ich wieder ein neues Animatic von einem neuen Projekt sehen :)

Naseem
07-29-2003, 10:56 PM
DerPapa I sympathies ur struggle with orientations, I know how hard and complex it can be with more than 5 sec animation, epically deferant speed and rotation :S

DerPapa
07-30-2003, 08:40 AM
thanks for your comments

I've updated the first post of this thread! check it out

http://www.ground-studios.de/runtime/pics/mo_landscape.jpg

cheers
Michael

mexus
07-30-2003, 02:52 PM
I replied to this post before. I need to add..

that everytime I watch this movie, the music and different story telling techniques get me in the most amazing way. In my opinion, the run of the character is very unique and I wouldn't change it. The textures and ideas are very exciting!

Great work and good luck with the studio. Germany is a great place to be.

Boxcarwilli
07-30-2003, 05:00 PM
Great stuff, I really liked the layered approach for the water scene. Man oh Man, MAX can do so much, and so much to learn. Great job guys, and, I liked the running animations. ;-)

SkyNet
07-30-2003, 07:00 PM
GR8
work
I loved it ! can't wait to see more !!!:)
PS : kick ** music also ! :thumbsup:

DarkHydra
07-30-2003, 11:09 PM
Here we go -
Step 1: Watch Teaser
Step 2: Pick jaw off of floor
Step 3: Bookmark your site
Step 4: Watch teaser a few more times while holding jaw in place

Seriously that was very cool. About the running thing, I think it might look okay with that running animation if his legs were a little closer together. It may not be as noticible this way. Anyways I too loved the slow-mo action and the mountains the most. OMG those mountains were beautiful. I swear between you guys and the koreans posting still renders I'm about to give up playing games for awhile while I work on my own 3D skills. Thank you for posting this and I hope to see more from ya'll in the future.

DerPapa
07-31-2003, 02:09 PM
hey thank you! What nice comments :)

BTW, you can load a radioedit of the track from our side too :D

Michael

Wonderer
07-31-2003, 05:37 PM
No crits, that's simply awesome!

slaughters
08-01-2003, 04:49 AM
As others have mentioned the run looks weird.

It's obviously because the side pockets/holsters on his pants are down by his knees and this makes it look like his knees are flying outward as he runs. This turns a dash run into a strange looking fast waddle.

DanielWichterich
08-06-2003, 08:24 AM
Hey Papa!

For a long time I haven't heard anthing from my most favourite internship place (I hope this doesn't cause a wave of internship applications :p ). Thus I was extremely stunned to see you beeing featured by "cgtalk.de"! Congratulations!
Runtime has become the perfect advertisement for Ground Studios! Good luck for the future and greetings to Martin and Peter!

Daniel

eoin
08-06-2003, 02:16 PM
hummm interesting.

DerPapa
08-14-2003, 09:47 PM
hey Daniel, long time no hear ;)

Visit us, and don't forget your famous cookies!

Michael

foofinu
12-17-2003, 01:00 PM

*stands up in appreciation*

Some fabulous camera work! Great staging and pacing. And the environments are very pretty. Keep an eye on these guys, they're going places.

L0sTPr0fEt
01-28-2004, 02:03 AM
wow.... simply put, wow. i really liked that. the only complaint i have is against the main character's mouth. its max-payne ish, doesnt change at all. maybe just a couple changes to the mouth, because as of right now it almost looks like hes getting tortured or something... i donno, theres just something about it that sticks out. i kept on looking at the legs as well, as they looked a bit unnatural on like 1 or 2 scenes, maybe its the holster whatnots.... donno, hope the crit helps.

LP

ps, very very very nice work. im going to fire up that landscape vid right now hehe. im having trouble with landscapes.

{edit} damn, not a tutorial :P. does anyone have a really good landscape tutorial? i totally dig the landscapes, theyre kinda fun to play with. the one tutorial i was doing confused the hell outta me. :){/edit}

DerPapa
03-16-2004, 10:46 PM
hey thank you :)

lostprofet, I posted a rough material of the mountains into this thread:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117715
maybe it's a start!

:)

Michael

LuWeeWu
03-17-2004, 05:06 PM
Nice:applause:

smighty
03-17-2004, 06:53 PM
Hi Papa:bounce:

Endgeil:bowdown:

o.k. das weiss ja eh schon jeder.

Die Spannung die aufgebaut wird kommt einfach rüber, der Sound hat mich ja auch vom Hocker gehaut.

Immer weiter so!...bin ja für ein zweites hollywood in europa.

DerPapa
04-12-2004, 09:17 PM
hey, thanks for the reply :)

We are currently doing something new. Maybe we'll post some WIPs soon :D

cheers
Michael

Climax
09-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Ich spreche ein bischen Deutsch!:)

•I like your runtime, the only thing i personaly would argue you is that you should have worked the face a little bit more in the texture and in the eyes

•Sure it is great anyway, i love this "rush feeling" very stressing!! :buttrock:

Also gut! viele spass!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.