PDA

View Full Version : Environment WIP: Soccer Stadium.

aazimkhan
06-25-2003, 07:27 AM
Hello all, (sorry for the large file- wanted to squeeze everything in )

Finally i can make full use of CGtalk here.

Here is an Environment (WIP) , a Soccer stadium. I am trying to achieve near to EA quality. I am trying to keep my specs as close as possible to actuall gaming specs.

WIP -
Software : Softimage|XSI
Polys : 37,000
Textures : One 1024x1024 texture for whole stadium
Plus another one will be used for sky.
Time spent: 4 days +more for other additions.

I am looking to add some more detial like hanging banners, flags, a giant screen, suggestions welcome.

I want to know how close is it to an actual game environment.
-Suggestions about textures
-How to control polycount

I am more than half-way done and thought this might be a nice point to gather some critiques and make necessary changes.

Please be open, as i am really looking for helpful critique.

edit :CHECK BELOW FOR LATEST.

Jhonus
06-25-2003, 08:02 AM
nice attempt there... i think the poly count is way too high, try dropping it by around 30,000 quads.

textures look too saturated, scale seems off... be nice to see some reference you used.

if possible try visit the stadium you are building and take 30+ reference shots plus some extra shots for textures.

noon
06-25-2003, 11:33 AM
Why did you split the mesh of the bench ? There is almost five splits per bench unsed. I can count 18 faces for a bench where you could use 3 faces.

I can also count almost 320 bench...
320 x 18 = 5760
320 x 3 = 960

I think it would be a good way to reduce the number of poly but you may have a good reason ? Is it because of a texture tiling problem ? Is this still imossible in XSI ?

Anyway, nice stadium.

rob-beddall
06-25-2003, 01:48 PM
hey!!
yeah i agree wiith noon.
but also i'm thinking....would you really need to model the benches for a game? Because there would be a crowd infron of the benches. whitch would probably be planes with a crowwd texture on.
but if you need the benches i think you should definately do what Noon said.
cheers!!

aazimkhan
06-25-2003, 06:15 PM
Thanks everybody.

Krugar- Propotions, I did use an actual field diagram.
It would be gr8 if someone can tell me what is a good range of polycount for games on XBOX or PS2. One of my friend suggested polycount to be under 40k. I think I could still squeeze out some more polys.

Good pointer for the textures, I`ll have to De-sat them, coz the lighting and renders brings the saturation up.

This stadium was modeled using various Screen shots from FIFA, ISS Pro etc.

Noon/Rob - I am going for a empty stadium, so i am putting emty chairs. and Yes I puposely put 5 splits so that i could tile it. I dont think XSI can tile a certain area of a large picture.

I could cut down some polys by using a undivided strip of grid..and using a seprate texture file for the chairs to tile- just like noon said.

I`ll post better renders soon, renders from the players POV, and other common camera positions in the game.

Jhonus
06-26-2003, 12:07 AM
Go for 5 to 6,000 quads.

Stahlberg
06-26-2003, 03:39 AM
You really need all that detail on top of the roofs? I guess if you're going to do a fly-over... but if it's not so important, maybe get rid of the zig-zag shape of the roof and use a simpler flatter one, not so interesting but you'd save polys.
And for the chairs, you don't need a separate texture, just make the texture smaller so you can fit in a whole row of em on the original texture. Don't need a lot of detail, a few pixels red and one black pixel repeated 6 times, should give the impression of red seats with a dark line between each, from a distance at least (no blur or aliasing on the black line).

aazimkhan
06-26-2003, 05:49 AM
Hey krugar,

6000 quads , does that mean 12000 polys?....
anyways I re-structured my Textures, used a seprate texture for the grass field...and made the changed mention here by people...
(thanks)

Now i got the polycount down to 14190.
3 Texture files 1024x (about 5mb)

Stalhberg - Actually yesm this model is both an attempt to model a game model and also will be using it for my animation ( whihc will have a fly-over shot). As for the chairs I got that fixed, thats what helped cut of a lot of polys.

I dont think i need to cut anything down more from 14190 polys.

I`ll post some final renders soon.

Thanks all.

DJ-Wood
07-03-2003, 05:57 PM
Hello,

The one thing that stands out to me as looking 'wrong' about this image is the map that you've used for the roof panel details.

The scale is way too large - if you compared the relative size of one of those 'bolts' in the roof, to one of the seats in the stadium, I'd guess that the bolt works out as being maybe 375mm in radius (much too big!)

Other than that I think what you've got is fine. Maybe look up some photos on the web of panel roof detailing for stadiums to use as a reference.

aazimkhan
07-04-2003, 06:08 AM
hello guys,

here are some fixes i made, the seats, textures, cut down polys etc etc.

so here it is again.

Software : Softimage|XSI
14191 Tris in 1328 Objects
3 Texture maps 1024x( sky, ground, stadium )

IMAGE:
http://www.aazim.odhn.com/temp/stadium_sheet.jpg

Stadium Texture:
http://www.aazim.odhn.com/temp/stadium_texture.jpg

Ground Texture
http://www.aazim.odhn.com/temp/ground.jpg

noon
07-04-2003, 08:31 AM
I'm not a 3D game engine expert, but many of the 3D games engines perfere to manipulate little objects, instead of 1328.

So if you want to use it for a game, you should attach all the static objects (almost all) that refer the same texture.
Having a lot of objects can slow down the 3D engine because each object will have is own transformation matrix.

Do you think it would cost too much to have a full terrain texture ?
(or maybe 4 terrain texture, one for each quarter)

I think there an opacity/alpha problem on the goals. We can see black borders, you should correct you alpha.

It's getting better, keep going on.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.