PDA

View Full Version : Installing LW on a future machine...

Boone
01-12-2009, 12:06 PM
I'm considering buying LW shortly, but I would like to ask exsisting users about it's installation...

1) On the newtek site they mention something about a "dongle". What is it all about?

2) I'm looking to buy a 64bit desktop later in the year. Is there a problem with uninstalling LW from my Laptop(my current machine) and transfering it to the new desktop?

3) Can I connect a rendering machine though a Ethernet connection? Or does ScreamerNet require a hub/router of some kind?
4) And do you all agree with me that LW rocks?:beer:

matt-ksp
01-12-2009, 10:04 PM
The "dongle" is a hardware usb license key about the same size as a usb pen drive.

There is a 64bit version of LW available. You can install LW on 2 (or more) machines, and just swap the dongle across. (I do this when I go across to work at my friends house, just take my dongle and use his 2nd machine.)

So you can leave the existing 32bit on your laptop and install 64bit on new desktop.

Network rendering is done across normal LAN There are also a few alternate (buy and free) network renderer controllers and renderers.

Boone
01-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Thank you Matt for the quick response. Cheers.:beer:

colkai
01-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Boone,
I run LW from a usb disk and just take my dongle and drive to any place.
It also is handy that once installed, just copying the actual directory, with the current version, allows you to run it pretty much anywhere.
The only caveat is, make sure you don't get 32-bit and 64-bit installations confused.

Boone
01-13-2009, 12:13 PM
I see. Thanks for the tip.;)

Oh, one last question; Does Lightwave come with all the OS installs(OSX, Win32 & Win64) or do I need to purchase a seperate copy for each? I assume it does, but I just want to be sure.

biliousfrog
01-13-2009, 02:33 PM
It comes with all the versions and you can swap between them as much as you like, for example you can install on a 32bit laptop, 64bit workstation and a Mac and just put the dongle in whichever machine you want to use.

Currently, the Mac version is 9.3 and the PC version is 9.5 but 9.6 is due for release soon and will bring them all together again.

Boone
01-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Thanks to you all. Most appreciated.;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2009, 03:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.