PDA

View Full Version : SCAD - MFA portfolio help/guidelines?

adityaprabhu
01-12-2009, 02:35 AM
I'm planning to apply to SCAD for the MFA program in VFX this fall. I have a background in bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. I'm into photography and i'm not a fine artist. I can sketch to convey ideas but nothing great!! Thats my worry!

What exactly do i need to do to get into SCAD?? How many pieces of work? How should i present it (DVD or a cd that plays on the computer?) What about photography work? And i also know Maya and After effects pretty well, so how will that help my chances? Please help me out as i feel i'm running out of time!
Thanks a lot!

-Adi

adityaprabhu
01-13-2009, 07:51 AM
Anyone? Any help would be great at this time! Can i submit my work digitally in pdf format?

danshewan
01-13-2009, 12:14 PM
What exactly do i need to do to get into SCAD?? How many pieces of work? How should i present it (DVD or a cd that plays on the computer?) What about photography work? And i also know Maya and After effects pretty well, so how will that help my chances?

Have you asked the admissions department of the university? I really don't understand why people post here first, before bothering to ask the university they want to apply to.

Shoot them an email, read the prospectus which I'm sure will outline portfolio expectations, and I'm sure they'll be much better equipped to answer your questions.

Couture
01-13-2009, 03:14 PM
On the topic, has anyone here attended SCAD for an MFA in VFX or animation? I was also starting to think about it as well. Any thoughts or opinions on it?

adityaprabhu
01-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Have you asked the admissions department of the university? I really don't understand why people post here first, before bothering to ask the university they want to apply to.

Shoot them an email, read the prospectus which I'm sure will outline portfolio expectations, and I'm sure they'll be much better equipped to answer your questions.

Hi Dan, firstly yes i had emailed the admissions quite a while ago and they gave me the same generic info that was there on their website. I expected a more helpful answer here and thats the reason i asked here. There are more students here (i hope) than any other forum who have at some point in time applied to a school and have gone through the whole procedure. I did my bachelors in India and in a completely different field. I need some help regarding my portfolio. Thats basically it. I'm sorry if you feel its been asked many times. But i searched here too and found no clear answer. I just need basic info on how to submit, in which medium and whether i really need a lot of traditional art because i'm not an artist.
Thanks!

danshewan
01-13-2009, 03:49 PM
I just need basic info on how to submit...

From their site (Graduate Visual Effects portfolio submission guidelines):

'Work should be submitted in digital or multimedia format.' According to their Timeline of Submission info, it seems that you should include your portfolio samples alongside your application paperwork, unless they tell you otherwise.

...and whether i really need a lot of traditional art because i'm not an artist.

Again, from their MFA VFX guidelines:

'A strong portfolio includes foundation and graphics skills, where applicable, effective use of 2-D form and composition, and an understanding of additive and subtractive color theory.'

This could be interpreted as a pretty broad brief for portfolio submissions, but then again, with terms such as effective use of 2D form and composition, traditional art skills such as drawing and painting would be good methods to demonstrate this requirement.

I know you just want to get it right and give yourself the best possible chance to be accepted, but I don't think anyone is going to say 'I submitted X, Y and Z and I got in.' If you can't figure out what to submit as a portfolio for an MFA program, maybe examining your motivations for wanting to study this in the first place would be a good place to start.

adityaprabhu
01-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Well, as i mentioned in the first post, i'm not a fine artist and i dont think everyone in the VFX field is. But i can sketch well and I'm also into photography. I was wondering if it will help if i submit my photography work. And when it comes to art, how good should it be?

danshewan
01-13-2009, 04:17 PM
But i can sketch well and I'm also into photography. I was wondering if it will help if i submit my photography work. And when it comes to art, how good should it be?

Well, if you can sketch well then you should be able to effectively demonstrate an understanding of form, and your photography may be a good way to demonstrate composition. As for 'how good' your art should be, that entirely depends on your own standards and ability - though I'd guess that you'd only want to present your best work for consideration.

The reason that questions like these tend to go unanswered or are met with skepticism is that so many of the answers can be found by using a little common sense. If you have indeed read the information on the website, then you should already know how to submit your work, and if you're any good at sketching and photography, then you should know if your work is good enough (or even suitable) to submit as portfolio work.

All the best with your application. :thumbsup:

adityaprabhu
01-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Thank you!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2009, 04:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.