PDA

View Full Version : My Demo Reel - Modelling, Rigging, Animation

ManuelM
06-25-2003, 12:21 AM
Hello everyone.

I finally managed to upload my reel.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD (http://www.manuelmacha.de/movies/manuelmacha_reel_june03.avi)
(23 MB Divx 5.03)

http://www.manuelmacha.de/images/section_3d/drone_final_01.jpg

http://www.manuelmacha.de/images/section_3d/bs01.jpg

http://www.manuelmacha.de/images/section_3d/inculta_06.jpg

You can also watch all videos on my website www.manuelmacha.de (http://www.manuelmacha.de)

Looking forward to your comments. If you have some advice, how i could improve it, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Manuel

BiTMAP
06-25-2003, 01:28 AM
you must feel overlooked with everyone oogling over the VFS film reel... I'm downloading urs right now I'll post back when I've seen it.

ctaborda
06-25-2003, 01:31 AM
Very impressive, are you employed or freelance?

What software was it used overall?, systems?

All yourself? models, lighting, texturing?

Very impressive.

BiTMAP
06-25-2003, 01:39 AM
nice work Its got a fast pace as well, however I feel ur toon(ish) section isn't up to par with the rest of ur reel...

SFG
06-25-2003, 01:45 AM
Very nice reel!

Mafty
06-25-2003, 01:48 AM
your first and last scene, are very impressive, very good movements on the robot, the modelling was also very nice as well

ctaborda
06-25-2003, 02:00 AM
Dronez is a very impressive short film aswell, the texturing of the characters is very detailed and proffesional. The scene where the guy is in the helicopter looks like real life, I would even want to see some wireframes to be even more impressed, amazing work.

I know its out of subject but, what platform was it used for it?
PC?, MAC? SGI?

Thanks.
Carlos.

Icarus
06-25-2003, 07:51 AM
awsome, the modelling, rigging andd everything else is awsome,

good worek, and best of luck on all ur future work

TyR-

lildragon
06-25-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by BiTMAP
you must feel overlooked with everyone oogling over the VFS film reel...

Not for long ;) Great stuff as usual Manuel! It's good to see some of your challenge work in there, and of course the Dronez ;) Are you currently seeking work?

CGtalk.com & 3dfestival.com

-lild

MrSolo
06-25-2003, 03:04 PM
Hey...

AWSOME work!!!!!!

Really great stuff.

DRONEZ ROCKS!:buttrock:

ManuelM
06-25-2003, 03:16 PM
lildragon:
wow, thanks for putting me on the frontpage. hope my server won`t become too slow.
yes - i`m currently looking for job opportunities. i´m really interested in working on challenging projects in a creative team. if anyone is interested in my work, please let me know. i would describe myself as a generalist with a focus on modeling, rigging and animation.

ctaborda:
in fact, i currently have to finish my thesis within the next weeks, but i`m also working on some smaller projects as a freelancer.
maya was used for the 3d stuff and aftereffects and combustion* (which i prefer) for compositing. i put the reel together, using edit*. photoshop and deeppaint for texturing
many pieces on the reel are from team projects, but i tried to pick scenes, where i did the major part of the work i.e the animation.
a shot breakdown will follow soon.

mafty, sfg, bitmap, tyrinid:
a lot of thanks to you all. which "toonish" piece of the reel do you have in mind? the man on the island, or the two aliens?

JasonA
06-25-2003, 04:17 PM
Thats a great reel my friend, truly inspirational stuff. The lighting and animation look very photo realistic. The modeling is very nice as well. I love the aliens with the big heads :) and the clipsd of shorts looked really nice too. Frankly with a reel like this, I'd be amazed if you have troubles finding a job
:beer:

Seeing a breakdown of the shots would be really cool. Only a couple of questions: Is this rendered using maya default renderer or mental ray? How did you go about making the explosion in the hallways following the robot?

Out of curiosity, why do you prefer using combustion over a.e.? Anyways, sweet work, good luck on the job hunt

mage111
06-25-2003, 04:25 PM
the goofy alien moment made me chuckle, but it was the cartoony man that really didnt go much for me
everything else was brilliant

i love your work man, keep it up

Carbon
06-25-2003, 05:43 PM
That was an awesome reel

ryankittleson
06-25-2003, 08:35 PM
my only problem was that your drone model looks so much like an electric shaver (you know, the 3 rotating blade norelco shaver) that I couldn't apreciate the robot for what it was. otherwise, I'm in awe of your work!

sethmisek
06-25-2003, 10:12 PM
good job
everything looks very well done

DSedov
06-26-2003, 01:56 AM
Very nice work!! So much talent. The funny thing is I was about to ask what music did you used and then I found, then you music mixed perfectly with some trance that was plaing on the background. Damn that was funny. I mean you beat perfectly started when the new track began on DI radio..

alikzam13
06-26-2003, 02:49 AM
rofl, that same thing happend to me a few weeks ago while listening to di. I was like woah thix rox0rz. Then I realized it was just some di.fm on :P

Onto the video:

very sexy stuff man :) gj

ShakingColor
06-26-2003, 03:24 AM
why I can't get to see the whole reel at all , when I finished downloading it? I just can only hear the bg music.

Help me....:buttrock:

alikzam13
06-26-2003, 04:27 AM
@ShakingColor:

You need DivX to watch ( www.divx.com )

rikimountain
06-26-2003, 09:04 AM
bin grade am reel runterladen... kenne aber dronez... welchen part hast du dabei gehabt?! hast du auch bei dragons mitgemacht?!
echt geniale zeugs dass du da so produzierst... aber wie zur hölle kann man sich diese schule leisten?!?!? haha
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

skyeywei
06-26-2003, 02:15 PM
well done!!! very nice !

ManuelM
06-27-2003, 05:29 PM
thanks for your replies.

here come the answers to your questions...

Jason A:

"How did you go about making the explosion in the hallways following the robot?"

-The explosion was done by my teammates paul and leif. paul rendered an alphachannel of a maya particle explosion. leif used this layer to comp a plane with an artbeats explosion into the scene.

"why do you prefer using combustion over a.e"

-I like the interface, which offers you a very fast and intuitive workflow. I also like the 3D-compositing and paint module. They`re definitivly better then in AE. I only wish combustion would render as fast as AE

mage111:

"it was the cartoony man that really didnt go much for me"

-This was a short imagefilm, which i created for a swiss consultancy. The colours had to match their CI and the timeframe was very tight. But I agree with you, as it`s not as spectacular as some other shots. That`s, why I only put a very short sequence on the reel. Do you think, I should drop these shots?"

brainbutter:

"your drone model looks so much like an electric shaver"

:) I think, you have not understood the movie. It`s supposed to look like an electric shaver, because IT IS an electric shaver ;)

Digidim:

"ich wußte garnicht, dass es noch einen "Macha" gibt, der sich mit 3D beschäfftigt"

- wer ist denn der andere? ich kenne niemanden sonst...?!?"

rikimountain:

"welchen part hast du bei dronez gehabt? (which was your part on the production of dronez?"

- modeling of the robot and texturing of the upper body
- directing, composing the live action scenes
- animating about half of the shots, where robot is visible
- some dynamics stuff
- editing, together with leif

if you want to know more about the development of "dronez", please follow these links:

Alias|Wavefront Customer Stories: Dronez (http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/products/maya/customerwork/stories/dronez/index.shtml)

3DFestival interview (http://www.3dfestival.com/story.php?story_id=972)

Thanks again for your feedback

cu...
manuel

The-3D-Data-Labs-Guy
06-27-2003, 07:01 PM
looks cool. let me download it..I'll put some comment after chking the file.:applause:

JasonA
06-27-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Manuel M
"it was the cartoony man that really didnt go much for me"

-This was a short imagefilm, which i created for a swiss consultancy. The colours had to match their CI and the timeframe was very tight. But I agree with you, as it`s not as spectacular as some other shots. That`s, why I only put a very short sequence on the reel. Do you think, I should drop these shots?
I would. Its not really on the same level of most of the other material on your reel. I guess it depends on how important you feel it is to show cartoon capability but frankly I think its more like space filler.

Goro
06-28-2003, 01:12 AM
Amazing work Manuel! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Nice Reel! Looking forward to your future work!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.