PDA

View Full Version : Controlling vertices with dummy objects?

Malkalypse
01-10-2009, 07:21 PM
I want to set something up where I can move/scale/rotate a particular set of vertices within a mesh, by moving/scaling/rotating a dummy object. What do I need to do for this to happen?

JHN
01-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Linked Xform modifier? Don't know what effect you're after..

-Johan

Malkalypse
01-11-2009, 11:28 PM
That's basically the effect I am looking for, but I'd rather do it without adding a modifier to the effected object. There will probably be from several dozen to over a hundred dynamically generated dummy objects, and it would be very cumbersome to have that many modifiers in a stack.

I was thinking more along the lines of a script controller attached to each dummy object. Of course there is also the question of not overloading the scene memory to the point of slowing the system down, so would want the info in the script controllers being called only when they are needed.

If there is another, better way to do this (not using a script controller), I'm all ears as well!

JHN
01-12-2009, 09:54 AM
That's basically the effect I am looking for, but I'd rather do it without adding a modifier to the effected object. There will probably be from several dozen to over a hundred dynamically generated dummy objects, and it would be very cumbersome to have that many modifiers in a stack.

I was thinking more along the lines of a script controller attached to each dummy object. Of course there is also the question of not overloading the scene memory to the point of slowing the system down, so would want the info in the script controllers being called only when they are needed.

If there is another, better way to do this (not using a script controller), I'm all ears as well!

Skin with helpers, skinwrap with a lowres control cage, with the verts assigned to dummies, if it's not too much point I'd suspect assigning a scriptcontroller per vert should have too much impact, but I couldn't say really.
There's also cluster-o-matic : http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/230219 maybe that's something?

-Johan

CGTalk Moderation
01-12-2009, 09:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.