PDA

View Full Version : Still life: Arantaxia cover

grihan
06-24-2003, 10:16 PM
Hello
I'm making a cover for a thrash metal spanish band called Arantaxia. This is a work in progress, but I need your critics, because I know the image lacks "something".
I'm working with 3dsmax and brazil, and it's a render without antialising and with low quality, but enough to see the idea of the image.
I'm planning to put dirty in the glasses, and make different heads for every bottle.

http://www.grihan.com/inprogress/arantaxia_test01.jpg

Thanks in advance..

road
06-24-2003, 11:46 PM
I did a quick paintover to demonstrate what I'm talking about..

first there needs to be some light coming through those glass bottles...

the other thing i see is that if this is the main light source the top shelve should be darker...

also the wall right behind the light gets really dark before the shelf and then the shelf is really bright ... maybe fix that more like in the paintover i have attached...

http://www.roadsart.com/images/POarantaxia_test01.jpg

zarkos
06-25-2003, 12:27 AM
Nice idea.
Maybe to make jars a little bit with different shapes, and maybe some spider web. Fluid in the jars could be a little bit dirtier...

bonko
06-25-2003, 12:45 AM
I like the color scheme you have going in the image. Particularly the warm orangish color in the jars. It really pushes them out to the forefront of the image especially surrounded by all the green. But maybe the greenish hue isn't right. For me when I look at the lightbulb it looks incredibly new as if it were just changed, could you possibly make it seem dirtier as well as make it appear less "new". Maybe keep the same level of light in the image but reduce the actual brightness of the bulb in the image. To clarify here's an example, reduce the brightness of the sun on a sunny summer afternoon but don't actually reduce the amount of light generated by that sun. I like the caustics idea suggested in the above post. The caustics ground the jars onto the shelf.

Ryan-B
06-25-2003, 01:48 AM
There should be a much strong rim light on the backs of the heads and along the bridge of the nose on the middle head.

The "Silencio" sign needs some stronger lighting to be more noticeable.

Personally, I would add some extra light to the eyes to draw attention to them.

The wood texture is too clean for the environment it is in. It should also have some water staining.

The movie "The Devil's Backbone" has some good reference for the subject matter.

grihan
06-25-2003, 05:14 PM
road: thanks for the paintover, I'll try to make caustics stronger, but it's calculated by brazil...

bonko:I think I can do you say lowing down the flare of the light....

Ryan B: Yes, I have to show more the "Silencio" sign...it's the name of the album...so I'll have to put a light only for it, because I dont want to rise up the ambient light, another parts of the image would look different..

I have to watch again the movie "The Devil's Backbone" (El Espinazo del diablo). I have it on dvd. I think I'll have to add dirty to the water.

I'm planning to make different levels of liquid on every water too. Actually the bottles are filled the same way.

More feedback, please!! and thanks again!

bonko
06-25-2003, 07:48 PM
"I'll try to make caustics stronger, but it's calculated by brazil..."

well if it's simply to be a still image don't limit yourself to what the software can do. You render out seperate layers and simply paint caustics. Or just paint over the image.

Marcel
06-25-2003, 09:15 PM
I think you should alter your composition a bit.
A CD Cover is rather small, so you should be able to see right away what the image portrays.

I would have one bottle close to the camera and let that be the focal point. I've tried to make a Photoshop edit so you can see what I mean:

http://members.rott.chello.nl/mvijfwinkel/cover_b.jpg

I've also painted some orange gradients inside the bottle. It's totally unrealistic but it helps setting the bottle apart from the background. I think more light inside the bottle would look even cooler, like the liquid itself is glowing.
I've made the other bottles in the background a bit darker and a different hue to give the image more depth.

If I were you I wouldn't model more heads, you hardly see that the heads are identical. I would make them less blurred, or at least partially (so that the faces are more clear).

The lightbulb looks great but it is very distracting from the main subject: the bottles.

Maybe the title of the cd should be put 'flat' on the image, directly facing the camera? I've made the title very bright in my image, but I feel you shouldn't think of the title as 'part of the image'. For the client (the hardrockband) the title is probably the most important part of the cover, so it should be very clear and present.

You deserve some compliments too, great texturing and lighting, excellent job! :thumbsup:
And remember these are only my opinions, wether they are usefull or not is up to you to decide.

grihan
06-26-2003, 12:17 PM
thanks, Marcel
I like very much the new "camera"...I'm making now some new tests, but with the camera a little more opened...I have to put the band logo ...this night I'll put new tests...

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.