PDA

View Full Version : Adding a 'set key' button

JasonA
06-24-2003, 08:11 PM
hi folks,

I'm really a newb when it comes to rigging, and I'm in the process of making a basic rig for a hand that I modeled.

What I've doen is create a locator at thw wrist which I will add attributes to (sliders) in order to control the curling of fingers and thumb. So I know the basic process for using the set driven key and adding attributes to create the sliders. But what I would like to have is a button beside each slider that says "key" which creates an animation key for that particular attribute at the value of the slider. Hence making the keying a bit easier. In fact what would be really cool, would be a a second button that says 'clear all' that would erase all the keys for that particular attribute. But ok, thats not so important.

Can someone tell me how you go about making a set key button next to the attribute slider? I'm pretty new at this so please be as specific as possible. Thanks for any help guys

zbgump
06-24-2003, 10:28 PM
I'm not sure how to create a button like that, although I'm sure its possible. What you can do is press the "s" key while you have an attribut selected in the channel box.

BoomRat
06-24-2003, 11:44 PM
You can't add a key button in the attribute editor.

What you can do is click on the attribute name -not the value-, RMB over the highlighted attribute name, and select "Key Selected".

A little less graceful, but it gets the job done.

nottoshabi
06-25-2003, 12:11 AM
If you r a newb to rigging I thinck you should concentrate more on rigging then making buttons, cause making buttons you have to know MEL. But if you really want to try then go to the Mel help options.

Good luck. :beer:

loked
06-25-2003, 07:58 PM
Hey,

Just like nottoshabi mentioned, you gonna have to get into MEL. If you do decide you want to, the general workflow for something simple like this would be to create a window (GUI), add a layout to the window, add buttons to the layout and give the buttons commands. It's a lot more complex that I make it seem, but that's just so you can get an idea of the workflow.

If you're still a complete newbie, I'd recommend the S key or RMB>key selected :thumbsup:

later:wavey:
loked

JasonA
06-25-2003, 08:50 PM
Ok, thanks for the heads up guys. yeah my rigging skills are pretty infantile, so I guess for now it'll be the ol 's' key :) but I am wanting to improve my vehicle/character rigs so this will be something to look forward to in the future. thanks for the overall workflow Loked thats good to know. Maybe after i successfully make a few rigs I will start exploring MEL further. It really does seem like the ticket to maya customization.

Thanks for the responses guys:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.