PDA

View Full Version : My dumb-butt parenting question...

Cman
06-24-2003, 07:58 PM
Ok, I bet this is answered in the manual but I got the Digit thing and I ain't got one. :)

In the attached scene is a simple 2 box parenting situation. The parent animates but the child will not keyframe. If you deactivate the constraint you will see the child is keyed with it's own animation, but does not move while parented.

How do I fix this? Is there some arrangement of nulls, etc I need to do? Am I missing something terribly obvious? :hmm:

Thanks for any help.

Pedrotheartist
06-25-2003, 09:37 PM
Maybe I've misunderstood your question but why bother using the Parent child constraint but physically make your LWS:CoupleBoxes [Layer2]the direct decedent of LWS:CoupleBoxes.

That way you can keyframe both objects. See attachment.

Otherwise you will need to animate the weight field of your parent child constraint.

You probably already knew this anyway, but because of the lack of response, I'll thought I'll chip in anyway.

Cman
06-25-2003, 10:00 PM
Okay see, I didn't even know about that.
Is that in a 3dbuzz vtm? I should watch them again.

Anyway, thanks for the response.
What I'm trying to do is animate the exchange of an item from one thing to another thing. Basically, a character removes a hat from his head and drops it onto a table.
So parent hat to hand, then release that relationship and parent it to the table top so I can animate the fall. Doesn't seem possible to do that way. Do you know any tricks?

I'm considering just animate the hat the whole way and skip the whole parenting thing.

Hmm... what if I make the hat a direct descendant of a null, parent the null to teh wrist, then just animate the hat after the null is released? hmm...

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.