PDA

View Full Version : Scene File Tweaked on Reload

Steve Warner
06-24-2003, 07:47 PM
Here's one that I've never seen before:

I set my scene up with all the heirarchies, keys, motion modifiers, etc. I shut down the computer and on reloading the file, I found that the parenting had been completely rearranged. Nulls which controlled lights now controled layers of my object. Parent objects now controlled different children. Pretty much every heirarchy was toast.

Anyone ever seen this before, and more importantly, know how I can ensure it doesn't happen again? At this point, it looks like the entire morning's work is hosed. :thumbsdow

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Steve

CourtJester
06-24-2003, 11:12 PM
That sounds like yet another manifestation of the global list processing bug. It affects everything from reference objects to scene-based image loading.

Besides the issues with the Image Editor which I encountered in my area light hack (http://www.altyna.com/lw/specrefl.htm), I also see clip maps spontaneously acquire reference objects at random, image instances get misnumbered, rewired and randomly multiplied to the detriment of whatever uses them, Hypervoxel elements deactivate themselves.

What you describe is worse than anything I've seen, but it sure sounds like GLPB. I know of no cure short of manual renumbering.

The one preventive thing I can think of that might help, is to NEVER RE-ORDER THE LIST in Scene Editor. It's entirely a speculation on my part, I'll have to test it more, but seeing as the problems all have in common a mangling of relationships, and these are handled in LW by the bizarrely primitive use of numeric indexes in lieu of names/identifiers (parent to "item 32" instead of "foo.lwo"), that's my current bet.

If anybody remembers the issues with image savers and their loading order leading to the wrong format coming out of the render farm in the 5.x days, that was the exact same problem on a smaller scale.

Steve Warner
06-24-2003, 11:47 PM
Thanks, CourtJester. At least it's good to know I'm now alone. :hmm: I save incrementally, so I managed to find an uncorrupted scene about 4 revisions back. I then edited the scene file to replace references to my old object with the newest version. That sped up the reconstruction process and I'm now back on track. For what it's worth, though, here's a side by side comparison of my Scene Editor before and after the corruption.

http://www.trinitymediainc.com/Temp/corrupt.jpg

Thanks for your help. :)

Steve

Emmanuel
07-12-2003, 01:43 PM
Well, well,

this happened to me:

I created a char in a solo scene and made load from scene into another scene (apartment).
Everything was good as long as LW was running.
Then I shot down and the next day I loaded the scene and look and behold:
the complete bone structure of the char was unparented from each other and the char, the char completely torn and I was crying.
That was really a hard hit, although Splinegod had warned me that my use of mirrorbones.p could do such things, now I suspect it to be a heavy LW-bug.

richpr
07-12-2003, 01:54 PM
See the FUBAR (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75190) thread... What versions are you all using? 7.5c?

vangaans
07-12-2003, 02:07 PM
Yep on 7.5c here.

Emmanuel
07-12-2003, 03:51 PM
7.5c, too...a completely fresh install from CD on my brandnew machine:

ASUS P4PE mainboard
P4 2.8 Ghz
1 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon 9600Pro

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.