PDA

View Full Version : Any good tutorials on skinning rigs?

Pongo
01-10-2009, 12:21 AM
As the title says, I'm looking for some good info on the skinning portion of the rig, preferably something a bit more advanced, although hopefully not too heavy with custom scripting. I've been doing this for quite a while, so I understand quite a bit, but I don't get the opportunity to do much character work. I'd like to improve in this area. On the rigs I've set up, I'm pretty happy with the bones and how they work , but simply weighting the skin vertices is falling a bit short.

I see a lot of help for the bones part of the rig, but very little when it comes to the skinning portion. Seeing the way Brad Noble's "sensible" rig works here: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=54&t=714002 is amazing, but I haven't the slightest idea on the skinning portion of something like that.

I'm particularly interested in the rigging of fat characters, since they pose the largest challenge for me. (Thin characters can get by with a lot less tweaking at the joints.)

A character I'm working on now has very short fat arms, and the shoulder/armpit area is extremely large, so things get really tricky there.

Thanks for any help.

Leffler
01-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Check out the Fahrenheit DVD on skinning, itīs very good

fahrenheit-digital.com I think it is

// Otto

Pongo
01-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Found it here:
http://www.fahrenheitdigital.com/

This looks pretty good, but unfortunately I don't use Maya. (Max here) The video looks like it covers the things I'm interested in, but I'm not sure if it will be that useful from a Max user standpoint.

edit: one more silly little thing. I can't find any prices on that site, or any way to add a DVD to the shopping cart. It seems like maybe they are down at the moment, or am I completely missing something?

stewartjones
01-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Try:

http://www.cg-academy.net/

To be honest, skinning will only get you half of the way there most of the time. You will have to look into using corrective morphs and such to get the sort of deformation you may be after. Also look at using pose space deformers and even a muscle system etc. All of those help out the look of the end deformations.

Pongo
01-11-2009, 04:53 AM
To be honest, skinning will only get you half of the way there most of the time. You will have to look into using corrective morphs and such to get the sort of deformation you may be after. Also look at using pose space deformers and even a muscle system etc. All of those help out the look of the end deformations.

Yes, this is more of what I am looking for. When I say skinning, I am referring to it in a general term rather than simply just the skinning modifier. I've been doing CG for a long time (going on about 18 years now,... yikes!) but I don't get a chance to do much character work. Most of the work coming through our studio is network/broadcast stuff that is more logo work than character work.

Anyways,... what has happened is that I don't do enough character work to keep myself on top of new features, and I tend to still do things the way I was doing it many years ago. I know the tools have been added to help, but being in production full time I have not had the chance to play around as much as I might like.

I was really hoping to find some web stuff out there since I'm in a complete lockdown on spending at the moment. My wife's job may be going away soon so we are holding our breath (and wallets). I don't mind spending something eventually, but blindly buying something that *may* help is probably not in my near future.

Thanks again for any help.

stewartjones
01-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Sorry, when people say 'skinning' i just instantly assume the normal skin modifier/standard bind etc. Thos CG-Academy DVDs go into a faux muscle system from what I can remember. Not sure if corrective shapes are covered. The muscle system using a standard max bone, but with the stretchy option turned on, and it is pinned either side via point helpers/dummys, using an aim constraint to keep it on axis if memory serves.

Anyway, I'm not too sure of any online training, I haven't found any if there is. But take a look at the help files with the more recent versions of Max, they helped me out a lot. Take a look into 'Skin Morph' for corrective stuff... I think that's what I was using a while back. You can also just use a standard morph target and use the reaction manager to setup a corrective etc.

I hope that helps some, sorry I don't have any more reference for ya! Sorry to hear about the wife's job, man this recession is a killer. :cry:

Pongo
01-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks.

That does help actually. I'll take a look at using the stretchy bone as a muscle and the skin morph and see what I can do with those.

PEN
01-12-2009, 01:16 PM
I don't cover skin morph as it wasn't in Max 6 when I did the DVD series. I do cover faux muscles using stretchy bones and just about all aspects of using skin correctly as well I discuss many of the things that you shouldn't do and why.

IkerCLoN
01-12-2009, 03:26 PM
I remember some 'Hyper Real' series for Maya. I think you can find them on the Autodesk Store. There were a couple of DVD's that talked about muscles rigging and that stuff that you may find interesting. I have almost never seen any information about hyper-real characters in MAX.

However, after working several years in the industry, mainly focused on character rigging and skinning I can tell you that most of the time you can have a 'top quality' character using 'Skin' modifier only (with more or less bones and controls). It depends a lot, of course, on the look of the model or how realistic the morphology it is.

CGTalk Moderation
01-12-2009, 03:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.