PDA

View Full Version : How to take reference shots?

Dragons0088
01-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Hey guys, I'm about to start a personal project for my portfolio and I was wondering how to go about taking reference photos without the issue of perspective. When I take photos of my car there seems to be too much perspective in the shots so I'm not sure if I can use them. Here are my shots:

http://luke.flamecore.com/Tiburon/TiburonOrhtographic.jpg

Do you reckon I can use these and produce an accurate 3d model? I'm going to be replacing my car in real footage with the 3d model one so its needs to be as accurate as possible.

JayG
01-09-2009, 07:50 PM
If you can find some schematics of the car that will help you a ton, and then you can use your own reference photos for the more unique details.

Revalis
01-09-2009, 08:43 PM
If you have Photoshop, there is a filter under the 'Distort' category called 'Lens Correction' It will let you re-align images and remove some vertical/horizontal distortion.

JayG is definately right, though; the best case scenario is you find some blueprints for the car. There are various blueprint sites out there, like http://www.the-blueprints.com .

Good luck!

CapnPanic
01-10-2009, 12:48 AM
Or just take the photos from further away.

The further away you can get, the less distortion you will see in the image. Ideally, this would mean zooming in a bit, so that the car still fills the frame. Realistically though, if you cant zoom in any more, just back up a bit anyway. There should be more than enough resolution in the photos to get your major proportions and lines form, since the images in the viewport won't be particularly high-res anyhow (depending on your video card/drivers)

After that, you can just use closer photos for reference, rather than modeling directly over them.

CGTalk Moderation
01-10-2009, 12:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.