PDA

View Full Version : questions about size

braid
01-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Hello everyone;
Im using modo for a time and Im loving it. But as all 3d beginner I have this question...
... when you creates any architectural scene, like a interior. Do you use the real size of it? Like world real size? I heard that large scenes will slow down the render time... its that true?

thanks

Tobiah13
01-13-2009, 12:39 AM
Modeling size just depends on what kind of accuraccy you're trying to acchieve. If you want to make sure things are to scale working in actual measurements is a good way to do that. Render times in modo are usually pretty quick regarless of the scale of objects, it's more likely to be affected by complexity and number of objects. Regardless modo's render times are usually pretty quick.

braid
01-13-2009, 11:04 AM
oh thank you very much for your answear! It helps a lot!

Doug816
01-14-2009, 04:52 PM
"larger scenes" mean billions of polygons, not how many feet across the object might be. :)

davidgoerndt
01-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Modeling to actual size is always easier for me, no math involved trying to convert scales. Works ok except for planetary scales. Do a planet actual size and then a spaceship and you may never "find" your ship! Architectural and industrial modeling is easier at actual size. Fantasy stuff, not so much.

braid
01-15-2009, 12:06 AM
hey!

thanks so much for the replies! I guess my feeling was right. Its easier for me to "think" real size!

My concern was about the lights. If I do a larger room for example, I have to use more power on my light, right? In case of Modo, I dont know if it evolves more photons etc, but may be more bouncing, or more adjusts in the refra/reflection depths in modo...

anyway, thnks a lot

Tobiah13
01-15-2009, 12:32 AM
Lighting in modo is designed to imitate real lighting, so you can either use a brighter light for a big room, or use more lights. You can adjust the properties of each light, and you can also create luminous objects of your own. For bounced lighting make sure global illumination is turned on.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2009, 12:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.