PDA

View Full Version : Q: Eyelid Setup... HELP!!

nelsonteixeira
06-24-2003, 07:29 PM
What is the best solution for blinking realistic eyes??? I mean with eyelid folding. How much detail should I put in my model??? Are blendshapes a good solution??? What about the eyelashes? As far as modeled them as a separate object?
Thanx in advance!

proximity
06-25-2003, 07:46 AM
Although I'm pretty new to maya, I have seen Alex of the Gnomon school do an eye blink with blend shape. What he did if I remember rightly is that he made2 or 3 duplicates of the model.

The orginal is the unblinked version. The second model was with the eyelids a little blinked. The third version was nearly blinked and the 4th duplicate the eyes were fully closed.

He then created the blendshape with "In-between" checked (this is within the create blendshape option box)

So you select your duplicate models 4,3,2 then the orginal 1 so then when you move your slider in the blendshape window the eyelids move through each of those positions. This way, as Alex points out, the eylides can follow more a curve thru moving the stages rather than moving linearly which would/may slice the geometry of your eyeball.

Hope this helps.. sorry Im not going to answer your Q on Eye lashes----maybe try some really small polys or paint FX??? who knows...

misterdi
06-25-2003, 08:17 AM
You may want to check using cluster too.

Create cluster for the eyelid, move the clusterHandle pivot somewhere around the center of eyeball.

rotate the cluster to close eye position, and adjust the weight for the CVs/vertext so it distributed well.

Your animation will be base on the clusterHandle rotation, for fine tuning you could also add blendshape deformer, and set driven key the blendshape slider with the rotation of the cluster.

Best regards,

anthonymcgrath
06-26-2003, 04:47 PM
I do my eye blinks by keyframing each vertex manually and amending the fcurves :p

sorry - it were too easy - I'll behave :rolleyes:
I usually use the blendshape/inbetween option too - very cool and you can use that with soooo many other cool parts

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.