AlexMMeyer
01-09-2009, 04:43 PM
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-ZpJYqQEnVwU/robotech_genesis_teaser/

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2120184/robotech_genesis/

Website

www.united-earth-group.com

Venkman
01-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Whoever was in charge of the cell rendering deserves a cookie or a hostess fruit pie. The cell look is gorgeous.

AlexMMeyer
01-09-2009, 08:46 PM
That person is Nenad Petrovic from Serbia. He's the director and animation director, among other things

Venkman
01-09-2009, 09:14 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f2/HostessFruitPieWrapper.jpg/300px-HostessFruitPieWrapper.jpg

Skamierski
01-09-2009, 09:55 PM
i dont know, the animation looks really stiff

like linear keying from a to b

AlpineMan
01-10-2009, 03:18 AM
I agree, the animation looks as bad as the old hand drawn animation.

Stormy151
01-11-2009, 05:44 AM
I thought this was out? I saw it at the video kiosk thing at the grocery store today. I was meaning to find out more about it.

AlexMMeyer
01-11-2009, 07:31 PM
You might be confusing it with a similar movie. This is a non profit fan made movie, and it hasnt been released not even finished yet

wesdood
01-11-2009, 07:46 PM
This looks beautiful. I can't wait for the final product to be released.

AlexMMeyer
01-11-2009, 09:06 PM
We are planning/pre-producing another movie too, though this one isnt a fan movie from an existent franchise but an original mecha movie

Lunatique
01-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Can we see some human characters? What little is shown didn't look nearly as good as the mechanical counterparts, and that could be a potential problem.

AlexMMeyer
01-12-2009, 02:16 PM
well, I'm afraid I have no permission to show more teasers than the ones I showed right now, but as soon as the director, the main writer and I agree to show more, I'll post it here or in a new topic. There is going to be a trailer released soon, between 3-4 minutes of lenght, and that might have room to show more character animation.

Any reason in particular you wanna see this? Are you a Robotech fan? Are you into character animation? I hope you dont mind me asking

Venkman
01-12-2009, 02:46 PM
I grew up with Robotech, that is until my Dad got stationed in Germany and we moved out there. Only one TV station for Americans, and it didn't have Robotech.

Show more when you can! I'm always interested in fan made projects. It's inspiring.

switchblade327
01-12-2009, 02:57 PM
I agree, the animation looks as bad as the old hand drawn animation.

Really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNkm12pxDNc

Okay, so the actual character animation wasn't great but for early 80s TV animation they made it feel pretty damn dynamic. "Shadow Chronicles" had some pretty disappointing CG animation too.

Any reason in particular you wanna see this? Are you a Robotech fan? Are you into character animation? I hope you dont mind me asking

I'm sure there's no shortage of Robotech fans in a forum like this, some of whom happen to animate! So I assume this being an original movie and not a fan project is why the mecha is different/non-copyrighted? Because no offense but there is no better transformable robot design then the old school VF series Valkyrie :P

AlexMMeyer
01-12-2009, 03:13 PM
I didnt understand very well, this is a fan project, though we have professional animators, actors, composers, etc. who are also fans (most of them) working in it.

We have a zero budget if that is what you are asking for, everything in this project is volunteer work and it comes from the love to the series. The other original mecha project we are planning is a different matter

Yes, some fans have pointed out we cant do a better design to the VF-1 because it's close to perfect. We dont want people to think we want to improve the VF-1, this is just Robotech Genesis' version of the original Veritechs, and the fans are free to prefer what they want for Robotech and to encourage the official Robotech products or other fan projects to use the original designs. Well, at least to encourage other fan projects to use the original designs, because the team in charge of Robotech says they arent going to use the original designs anymore, either for legal reasons or because they want to move away from them

Lunatique
01-12-2009, 03:19 PM
well, I'm afraid I have no permission to show more teasers than the ones I showed right now, but as soon as the director, the main writer and I agree to show more, I'll post it here or in a new topic. There is going to be a trailer released soon, between 3-4 minutes of lenght, and that might have room to show more character animation.

I worked on Robotech: Invid War comic book series back in the early 90's, and I grew up with Robotech. In fact it lead to me falling in love with the 1984 Macroos: Do You Remember Love? movie, and that then lead me to become who I am today (writer/director/artist/composer). So, in short, Robotech changed me life.

AlexMMeyer
01-12-2009, 03:24 PM
yeah, it changed our lives too. I suppose we can only dream to have you in our Robotech projects someday, since as long as they are Robotech we wont be able to make any money from them and to afford someone like you.

switchblade327
01-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Yes, some fans have pointed out we cant do a better design to the VF-1 because it's close to perfect. We dont want people to think we want to improve the VF-1, this is just Robotech Genesis' version of the original Veritechs, and the fans are free to prefer what they want for Robotech and to encourage the official Robotech products or other fan projects to use the original designs. Well, at least to encourage other fan projects to use the original designs, because the team in charge of Robotech says they arent going to use the original designs anymore, either for legal reasons or because they want to move away from them

That's cool, I wasn't trying to knock you guys or anything. You've clearly accomplished a lot and you should be proud of it. Though you might have an easier time recruiting volunteers* if it looked more like the original content :P

*Like me. I'd love to animate a Valkyrie dogfight sometime.

Venkman
01-13-2009, 03:24 PM
I'd love to see the guys who planned out the battle sequences in Pearl Harbor and SW: Episode III work on a scene like that. According to the commentary on the Episode 3 disc, they brought in very specific people on the opening battle sequence. Apparently George was impressed with what they accomplished in Pearl Harbor.

Say what you will about the later Star Wars movies, but that opening space battle was amazing. I'd like to watch 2 hours of that.

Now imagine it with Robotech, with Veritech fighters and that giant space cruiser. Get chills yet? ;)

AlexMMeyer
01-13-2009, 09:56 PM
switchblade, the veritech designs got an important redesign once. I doubt you are going to see a major redesign at this point, but if you talk with the director about the possibility of joining us you will have more chances to convince him to include at least one veritech which looks more like the original, or to give the original design a brief appearence. The original designs were made at one point several years ago, and right now there are about 6 versions which are going to make it to the movie, though most of them look the same in fighter mode

AlexMMeyer
01-13-2009, 09:58 PM
you all sound like, hey this could be great, being experienced in cg, art and related issues, why dont you approach to the website to give your thoughts?

Lunatique
01-14-2009, 04:34 AM
yeah, it changed our lives too. I suppose we can only dream to have you in our Robotech projects someday, since as long as they are Robotech we wont be able to make any money from them and to afford someone like you.

Money is not always the main motivation for me to join a project. Often it's about my passion for what the project is. Unfortunately, time is the most valuable commodity in my life, and I made the mistake of joining a project I was very passionate about (Black Mesa, a Half-Life 2 MOD), and after helping out for a bit I realized I just didn't have the time. I have so many personal projects that I'd never finished in my lifetime already, not to mention paying work.

Right now I think the only way I'd get involved in a long-term non-paying project is if I had a very high stake in it--like if I was writing/directing or composing the score. As far as getting involved in the visuals, I normally wouldn't do it unless I have absolute faith in the talent/skill level of the entire art crew, otherwise it always ends up a very painful experience.

AlexMMeyer
01-14-2009, 08:39 AM
sorry, I didnt mean like that, but if you have a family, which you probably have, money is important :)

DarkNemos
02-05-2009, 09:10 PM
I just felt like dropping a few words :)

I used to work on this project and it was a very beautifull experience. Unfortunately just like Lunatique (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=2652) i dont have the time to work more on this. I have to make a living :)

Now all of the artwork is done by one man (Nenad, a very good friend of mine) and i cannot even imagine how dificult is for him to make all that by himself (When i worked on this it was like 5% me and 95% Nenad :)). I admire his artwork and i love his style.

I can work on this dough but if Nenad gives me 2 months to unwrap a model witch is not what is needed :)

This project has gone a long way since it originaly started. Staff changes and all but this project is all about love for Robotech. Nothing more, nothing less. Pure fan pleasure.

CGTalk Moderation
02-05-2009, 09:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.