PDA

View Full Version : Still Life: WIP Lighting Crit

ZeroNeuro
06-24-2003, 06:01 PM
Software: Wings 3D; Maya, Mental Ray

Posting to get opinion and critiques, as well as advice on the lighting of a scene I am currently working on. So, in order to do this I have elected to use an object that many of you have already seen, so as to not ruin the 'surprise' of the final image. It is a remake of a still life I did back in Max a few years back.

Note: The textures are not final (still have to paint some areas, and the red paint is a guideline), not all the shaders are finished. And I left the teeth un textured to give something in this render an example of the keylight's 'white point' with scene lighting.

http://www.zeroneuro.com/stilled/Preview-SL.jpg
http://www.zeroneuro.com/stilled/Preview-SLwire.jpg

percydaman
06-24-2003, 07:51 PM
very nice...since your asking for a lighting crit, let me say that i have no real crit. Is this the final composition or do u have something else in mind? Give it a good backdrop as opposed to the black nothingness and i think your well on your way

road
06-24-2003, 10:30 PM
Lighting seems fine to me...
post up the final piece so we can tell if it really works for your piece..

MikeRhone
06-24-2003, 10:59 PM
My only real crit is not lighting related, but your UV's are stetched pretty bad in the inside of the nose. As you said though, the render is unfinished so Im sure you will get to that.

I have to say, I prefer the PRman render of your other skull. the displacements look so much better than the Mray one.

Lighting wise, I have no real crit, but it would be nice to see a stronger spec/bump on the wires.

Looks great so far though...!

Mike

The Cross
06-26-2003, 03:20 AM
Looks kinda flat.

I would put a simple background, or even cover up the darkness in the background, That might make it easier for you to light.

It also needs light bouncing off the object, and that light must be coloured to match the surface it's coming off of. The light coming off the ground surface must have a kind of darkish grey tinge to it. and there also has to be light coloured with the skulls yellowish tone. Add decay to all lighting, and remember every light makes atleast a mild shadow that's difficult to see. Also soften the shadow you got there a little more.

Levitateme
06-26-2003, 05:07 AM
Hi ZeroNeuro

i was just going to tell you i think alot on your model could be done with bump mapping. i was suprised that almost everything is modeled. cheers to you for that, but i was just thinking about making it easier is all. looking good over all.

ohyah, im sure this isnt your final render of it, but i would darken the lighting also.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.