PDA

View Full Version : Scene: Workshop

Mike Baker
06-24-2003, 05:13 PM
Hello again!
Here is the full "Workshop" scene with more of my engineering tools.
Again all done in 3ds Max 4.2

http://www.galleryof3d.com/site/artists/mikbak/large/workshop.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Mike.

onelung
06-24-2003, 05:41 PM
great start, but i think it needs more... like some eraser leave behinds... and pencil shavings... maybe muddy up the blue prints some like he just finished drawing them.

and is this the guys work station in his garage? i dunno how architects create.... but i couldn't look at that wall and just start being creative. maybe give him some pics.. a hooters calander something to break up that wall.... maybe a little tweaking on the lighting... depending where he's at... if there would be a spot light over head, a desk lamp, etc.

hope these help, good luck!:surprised

ToastMan
06-24-2003, 05:48 PM
Thats really good!

Although, you need to work on the lighting. I mean, overall the lighting is pretty good but I have a problem with the shadows that it casting. The pencil and the springs, for instance, seem like they're floating.

Dangeruss
06-24-2003, 06:33 PM
Architect?? There's no drawing tools here. It's not a draftsmans desk. Looks more like a quality contol area where finished parts are measured against the construction documents.

The lighting looks a bit flat too me and could use a bit of a warmer color. The spring just beyond the pencil looks too thin to cast correct shadows and thus appears to float.

The creases in the print look great and convincing. I agree the some greasy smudges would help "real it up" a notch.

silv
06-24-2003, 08:25 PM
the contrast is really bad => poor lighting
go to www.dragos.org he has some workshop works there. maybe you can learn somth

Mike Baker
06-24-2003, 09:04 PM
Thanks guys!

I agree the shadows need to be a little more defined.
I think maybe I need to increase the shadow bias too so the shadows don't sit so close to their casting objects. I think this is why the shadows are barely visable on the thinner objects, and hence why they appear to be floating a little.
As for the lighting, I am really happy with that.
I spent many of my earlier years of engineering in places like this, and the lighting is just like this.

Silv: I looked on that site but there are no workshop pictures on there?

There is one of a drawing room/draughtsmans design room which is a totally different environment to a workshop.

This is a downmarket backstreet steel fabrication workshop, where the only light comes from the shutter door, or through dirty perspex panels in the roof and bounces off dirty grey walls.
(you end up looking grey if you spend too long in these places)

onelung: We did have some stuff on the walls but I don't think I could show it here. :p I did think about putting some bike posters on the wall with one corner hanging off, but I liked that space on the wall and didn't want to clutter it. I know what you mean though. ;)

Thanks for your comments.
I doubt I will have time to sort out the shadows, and this will probably stay the finished piece, but thanks for letting me know what you think. Much appreciated and it will help with the next render. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Mike.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.