PDA

View Full Version : Character: cyborg in a corridor

arno barbo
06-24-2003, 04:00 PM
here is a work improvised from the begining to the end, made with 3dsmax5 and photoshop.
http://xpressionlibre.free.fr/if02%20copie.jpg

Jeremia
06-24-2003, 05:47 PM
really nice, only the eyes are not good - not enough contrast, and if it should look dangerous i think you should make them smaller (scale height) and place them more inside the head... compare a rodent (eyes ouside - looks harmless) and e.g. a panther (stereoscopic view - looks dangerous) - maybe i am worng and its only the camera angle that gives me this feeling..

bali231079
06-24-2003, 08:18 PM
Really good. Models, colors, lights are very nice . It's my feeling, but I'm a noobs .

nicolasambrosio
06-24-2003, 09:17 PM
:wavey:
eh ben, on faire mumuse avec le banc de montage :p
joli travail, un peu trop de lumiere sinon, ça nuit peut etre à la profondeur de ton image tout en rendant les couleurs trop vives.
a+

Silvexil
06-24-2003, 09:44 PM
The modeling looks good, but something about this render bothers me : first of all the composition of the image is questionable to my taste , it seems that you are trying to show too much and there is a tiny bit of space lacking behind the charecter . Makes the model seem cramed in the corner.
Another critisism is the over all tint of the render something about the colors seems too flat too dead , i think a bit of contrast should help!!!

But these are simple things to work *the tint if i am not mistaken is done in photoshop, and composition well......

Silvexil

Silvexil
06-24-2003, 09:47 PM
"here is a work improvised from the begining to the end, made with 3dsmax5 and photoshop"

So specify the improvisation!!!!!

Peter Reynolds
06-24-2003, 10:55 PM
Very nice texture work.

I think your compositions working well.

The perspective lines pull you into the image, down the hallway and you end up on the characters eye. The curves of the character then pull you down the left hand side. The hallway bulk head then pulls the eye over to the far wall again. The characters head is also the point of highest contrast.

So it looks to me as though you've given the composition a lot of thought.

Given there is a lot of reds and warm colors, the eye might pop a bit more if you went for a cooler color - just don't over do it to the point the viewers eye gets stuck there.

The whole character would pop more if you went for a cool colored background, BUT I think it pops enough with the change in focus. So given the subject matter, I think its great - this is NOT the barrier reef in FINDING NEMO.

Looks like the eye is sitting around a golden area. Did you use the golden mean to calculate your proportions for the character or background as well?

arno barbo
06-25-2003, 12:43 PM
No, I didn't use the gloden mean. (sorry, but i have no idea of wath does it mean). I think the composition is working too. And for me, the tiny space between the character and the wall is not a mistake: it creates tension in the picture. I want to point at the fact that all ur mind are different on my work. Some find that the composition works, or not, and some other are not agree on the fact that the picture are too lowly or too highly contrasted. when I said improvised, I wanted to mean without prepare, drowing or other research. But i am satisfied that it doesn't let people indifferent. Thanks a lot for ur replies.

Joebount
06-25-2003, 04:24 PM
Hey ! Salut ma grande ! Comment va ? Désolé de ne pas avoir répondu à ton mail, je vais le faire prochainement (au fait, tu ne m'as toujours pas dis si tu as un messenger)

Cool wrk, looks clean too me, but a bit to flat, nothing really stand out of the pic. :wavey:

DAREONER
06-25-2003, 06:47 PM
ca le fait mieux avec les contrast, felicitation!!!:buttrock:

Son of Octropos
06-25-2003, 07:55 PM
Overall I really like this piece.

Put me in the 'I like the composition' camp on this one- having the character off to the side along with the perspective induces a strong "What's going to come along that corridor?" feeling for me.

Excellent colors, I like esp. the scratches and scuffs. Good modelling and posing overall, those triceps are scary-big:) but the arm pose gives a good sense of the arm's massiveness. The only critique on the modelling is what has already been pointed out about the eyes- if they are to be eyes they should be made more prominent somehow, either through modelling changes or contrast changes. I honestly didn't initially pick up on them as being eyes at first (Note that I did like the 'Blank Faced' look that gave the character).

There is also something a little odd looking in the plane change around what on a human would be the outer prominence of the cheekbone. I think this may strictly be a lighting issue for that part of your scene, and it's mostly a nit-pick.

Do you have any plans to animate this scene?

arno barbo
06-25-2003, 08:13 PM
Son of Octropos:no I haven't any plan for a possible animation. I made it only for a picture. And I have already began a new scene. I agree with u for the eyes, witch are looking a bit strange, but I think its a matter of angle.
DAREONER:Merci!:D

Greencheese
06-25-2003, 08:15 PM
Looks great. Nice modeling, textures and lighting. Animation would be nice.

sunshine231079
06-26-2003, 09:33 PM
this is a nice work!
I realy like the character design, and all in general. But just a bit oldschool. Maybe it was in purpose?

muki
06-27-2003, 12:33 AM
Yeah it is kinda old school looking. I think that's what makes is so bad-ass! I love it. Makes me think of that old comp game Thexder

ssmith3
06-27-2003, 04:34 AM
Looks very nice. I’m one of those who like the composition. You have achieved a realistic quality in the texturing. The only crit that I have is that it seems to tile down the hall. As good as the textures are, I think it would have been even better if you would have changed it up a bit. To me it looks like you copied the same module over and over down the hall and while that’s ok for the modeling its not ok for the texture. You have the exact same stains on the wall in every module of the hall. Overall great job. After recently learning some of the finer points of texturing techniques, I have a whole new respect for artists of your caliber. Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

Below I have highlighted some of the spots that jumped out at me the most.

http://server10.hypermart.net/ssmith3/Posts/hallwaycopy.jpg :applause:

arno barbo
06-27-2003, 12:41 PM
U'r right, the textures are almost the same for each module. I have made some little different things, in order to try to avoid the repetition. But it is visible even so. I've found that it was enough, and do more would have been very expensive in time. Thanks for the attention u'v put in my picture.

scrountch
06-27-2003, 07:22 PM
C'est sympa mais bon j'suis pas convaincu par la compo avec les lignes de fuites qui plongent sur le personnage, ca fait perdre un peu la perception du reste de l'image et de profondeur.Mais j'aime bien le texturage.:wise:

Hec
06-27-2003, 09:47 PM
Im sorry but I am amazed how that so many people think this has good composition. I mean no offense to the artist, it just seems horribly lopsided. You eye is drawn to wierd parts of the image where nothing is happening (the top middle where its bright) or to the cyborg who is in a profile shot. It seems awefully plain. The modelling looks great and the texturing is very good. Some of the comments about repitition are bogus. The yellow circles for instance. I take it to be established that in the closest column water leaks down and stains the wall. In all the columns behind this, you have similar stains. This is how things work in real life. ssmith3 is just assuming its the same texture. But it doesnt matter because you can't tell. Its just a stain. Ah. Good work though.

mage111
06-28-2003, 01:05 AM
goodwork on the model man, thats what impressed me. however a different angle may provide a more visually catching image. GL in the future, you got some real skill here man

Peter Reynolds
06-28-2003, 03:55 AM
Hec, does your eye really just sit at the top middle because of the lights?

Its not even the point of highest contrast.

The strong lines don't do anything to pull your eye around the image?

arno barbo
06-28-2003, 07:26 PM
no problem Hec. It doesn't disturb me. I didn't took ur critics as personal offenses.:)
Thanks for have gave ur opinion about it.

nat
06-28-2003, 10:13 PM
well, I like the textures, the model (makes me think of cyborgs in Gunmm).
I think it just needs some "intentions"...The environement could be like the subway, dark with some glowy lights. And the character could be threatening for example. He could be in a predator position before the attack, more bend, head in the shoulders, ready to jump at someone (or the subway :)

it's just a suggestion anyway. It's good work...

DSedov
06-28-2003, 10:51 PM
Really nice render. You captured a feel of Aliens pretty well I think or some other scifi movie that involves corridors. Simply nice.

Stylus
06-29-2003, 02:15 AM
i love the texure work!

arno barbo
06-30-2003, 08:59 PM
Glad to see that some people appreciate. For the alien feel, due to the corridor, i think there is a bit too light for this kind. I have rather tried to give a comics kind of rendu, as in Gimenez art for exemple. (I wonder if my inglish is understandable).

El_Toro
07-01-2003, 02:21 AM
I like the modeling, but the render seems to be horribly unbalanced. Try moving the camera around and maybe changing the lighting. Also the aesthetics on the cyborg give him a really kiddy McDonald's feel. It makes me want a Big Mac. Try darkening him up a bit.

markbones
07-01-2003, 06:09 AM
I really like the modeling and texturing, but here are my crits:

One of the first things I also noticed was the repeating of the textures. That doesn't really bother me, because long hallways can be symmetrical etc. And the DOF almost cancels that out enough - almost. I might make the doorway closed a little so we don't see quite so much of the hallway, or...

Crit #2. The lighting. The ceiling lights are VERY bright (they are glowing), and the cyborg is quite brightly lit, but the walls of the tunnel seem to portray a darker/gloomier environment. It just doesn't fit. Softening the lighting might create a more consistent mood (or just turn down the glow effect). And a very subtle rim light on the cyborg would separate him from the wall behind him. The ceiling light would bounce off the wall and illuminate his shoulders/back slightly. Related to my first crit, darken the hallway a liitle more as it gradually moves further away from us (especially the glowing lights).

Crit 3: Like someone else mentioned, may give him a little more of a pose. Just some aniticipation of what might happen.

Good stuff. :applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.