PDA

View Full Version : Trying to create a material with a jpg sequence bitmap in diffuse

JayG
01-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Hi all!

I'm writing a script and got stuck trying to create a material with an image sequence.

When I create one manually, when I select the JPG it gives me a checkbox to determine if it's going to be a sequence or not, and then the following pop-up asks me start and end frame information. However when it's done the only code it spits out is for assigning the bitmap, but it doesn't setup the sequence. If I run the script, it simply assigns it as a regular bitmap material and doesn't change when you change the frame.

meditMaterials[1].diffuseMap = Bitmaptexture fileName:jpgPath

The first time I create an image sequence manually it creates an IFL file in the same folder. If I load that file with my script instead of the JPG, the sequence works and the material image changes with each frame. But I can't get an IFL until I create a sequence initially. So, I either need a way to create the IFL, or find a work-around to get the sequence to work through the script. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Kramsurfer
01-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Definitly easier to create the .ifl file.
If you open an .ifl in note pad, you'll see it's just a list of files...

In MaxScript you can get all the files in a directory, open a file to write text and write the array of filenames, one at a time to the file and close...

tnFiles= getfiles <your directory>
FileStrm = createfile <filename.ifl>
for F in tnFiles do
format "%\n" F to:FileStrm
close FileStrm

something like this...

Then assign the filename in the bitmap to the ifl and it "should" work...

good luck

ZeBoxx2
01-08-2009, 05:54 PM
make sure you call sort() on tnFiles, just so the files are in the correct order (presuming they're zero-padded), as sometimes files get collected out of order when using getFiles()

JayG
01-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Great, that worked, thanks a lot guys.

Would anyone mind helping me format the path into just the directory?

I'm getting "C:\path\file_0000.jpg" from my input, and when I run getFiles it's only giving me that one, so I assume I have to change this into just the containing directory in order to get the full list of files. Not sure how to do that though..

edit: getFilenamePath, figured it out, thanks!

DaveWortley
01-09-2009, 01:14 AM
You can also use wildcards.

GetFiles = "C:\test\*.png"

JayG
01-09-2009, 06:19 AM
Cool, good to know! This ended up working out perfectly. Thanks again for the help.

CGTalk Moderation
01-09-2009, 06:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.