PDA

View Full Version : One eye to rule them all?

krisippa
06-24-2003, 02:47 PM
Does anyone know of any good tutorial sites on how to 'rig' the eye fo animation in polygons? I know that there are a lot of tutorials for eye shaders. and a few for the ring around the eye. But very few for they acutual eye lid, and even less on how to rig the eye in polys for animation.

I am sorry if this has been posted before. I've been searching for a week on this site now and havent been able to find anything sufficient.

I am a character animator, who has fallen in love with 3D, but i just wanna push my modeling skills a bit, and make a good rig for my characters eyes.
(its all in the eyes)

Thanks in advance.
Dean

:D

krisippa
06-24-2003, 02:48 PM
Just to be clear.

I am thinking of using nurbs for the eye and the lid, but polys for the 'head'. I am kinda going for realism (not hyper realism ) Is this line of thinking correct?

Thanks again.
Dean

Jon Beckett
06-25-2003, 11:52 PM
Goosh has a good one on his site but I'm at work right now and don't have access to the link. Scroll around in the members section and find his profile. I'm sure he has a link to his site.

krisippa
06-26-2003, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the help. I've seen that tutorial. it is a good one, but im kinda going for more realistic eyes. and in polys. Thanks though.

noktUp
06-28-2003, 09:16 PM
Hey all,
A good eye setup I found, for an RT rig(Maya), but should apply also to higher end cg, is found on the Unreal Developers Network. You can take the concept there and very easily convert it to your needs. The reference images are a little vague, so some abstract thought will be requiered. Personally since the eye is such a simple shape, it might be easier to just stick to polys, though its easier to get the shading effect of an eye with NURBS controlled surfaces. Any how, the other thing that migh give you a direction for your rig would be to come up with a really nice controll set for the face that really easy and intuitive to tweak. Some people like blend shapes, if you set up the blend just right(Use in-betweens) you can get very nice eye lid move ment. As for the eye "look" it's easiest if you Aim constrein one eye to an empty node ( a locator or null group) and orient constrein the other eye to the eye that has been constreined to the locator. Look for Blend Shape tutorials.

Its possible to do it with joints, and those get a more perfect result, but you'll need a more indepth knowlege of rigging and scripting to get the best effect. Blend Shapes are easiest for 2d animators to pickup.

My wethod of choice is to combine Blends with joints. The general movement of the facial muscles is done by joint, but I simulate volume of the face with blend shapes that controll the bulging and rippling of the skin. The blend shape are keyed automatically by the movement of the joints, and if the blends and joint movements are done properly, the blend to joint movement ratio is 1:1, which means no tweaking necessary.

Hope it helps.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.