PDA

View Full Version : Modeling/Rigging Reel From VFS

Syeko
06-24-2003, 09:57 AM
This is a Divx copy of my demo reel and some other quick clips.

http://www.vfs.com/~simonm/images/SimonMills 2003.avi

http://www.vfs.com/~simonm/images/TextureMaps

Mirror #1: much thx BitmapThe Xvid Compressed Version of the reel.

SimonMills_2003_Xvid.avi (http://www.members.shaw.ca/timgauthier/SimonMills_2003_Xvid.avi)

Mirror #2: Big thx Visualboo! SimonMills_2003_Xvid.avi (http://www.visualboo.com/movies/SimonMills_2003_Xvid.avi)

Mirror #3: thx Obsti SimonMills_2003.avi (http://www.obstology.com/stuff/SimonMills2003.avi)

Throw some comments my way to let me know what u think or how i could improve.

Thanks,

Simon

Pixel_Pisher_
06-24-2003, 10:21 AM
You have worked your @$$ off and it shows, I really like your first two characters. I can't wait to see the stuff that you pump out in the schlorship program. You shouldn't have any problem finding work with the stuff that you are doing Now. Keep Up the good work.

acidboy
06-24-2003, 10:28 AM
WELLLLLLL....I gotta say, I am impressed!

Nice models and texturing overal.
The rigging was damn good. You should be happy :)

The only possible thing I can think of, which is very minor.
Is that maybe you should show the straight up poly mesh also and not just the subD version. Just helps, as you can see the topology of the model better.

Extra touches like the interface around the turn arounds of the models was really nice too.
The overal pace was fast and to the point, didn't feel like it dragged for a second.
I give it a BIG :thumbsup:

Oh just a few Q's too :)
You guys at VFS use XSI right?
Also with your facial rigs did you use bones with your shape animation?
I've seen similar facial control setups like that before, but not as refined as yours. Is there material on the net that cover that approach?

Keep up the good work.

Syeko
06-24-2003, 10:38 AM
The rig interface is all curves and text, and most of the rig is just weighted nulls, expressions and shape animation - no bones.

There is no material on the net that i know of that covers this approach to a facial rig, but im sure there is something out there. when i get my site up and running i may do a few tutorials.

paramnesia
06-24-2003, 12:27 PM
really great stuff dude, luv the style of the models, and for sure one of the best rigs i've seen!!
keep the nice stuff poopin' out!:buttrock: :drool:

wronen
06-24-2003, 01:46 PM
really nice ... gr8 rigging .... looks like alota fun 2 animate ...

lildragon
06-24-2003, 01:59 PM
You have a very promising future ahead of you. Your technical as well as your artistic skills are on par with each other. Incredible facial setups and very detailed and high quality models. Gotta love what comes from VFS [plugged on both cgtalk.com and 3dfestival.com]

-lild

Tottebias
06-24-2003, 02:41 PM
Those are some awesome facial setups. Yummy. Looking really good!

jazzman121
06-24-2003, 02:46 PM
awesome rigs ... heyy wats that song playing??? I like it... does anyone know the artist?

Obsti
06-24-2003, 03:00 PM
can't load it:shrug:

Syeko
06-24-2003, 03:04 PM
It seems to be really slow connecting, but once the page finally opens, try saving the target.

that song is "Breaking the Habit"

by Linkin Park

Seven
06-24-2003, 03:08 PM
need more bandwidth.. i really want to see this.

altermind
06-24-2003, 03:25 PM
I'd load it... but... wont load :(

brianellebracht
06-24-2003, 03:27 PM
can't DL it either :(

gagn
06-24-2003, 03:33 PM
I downloaded it to my computer but it won't play.

"ClassFactory cannot supply requsted class" ??

I have the latest DivX version.

Syeko
06-24-2003, 03:36 PM
Sorry about the bandwidth problem, it is out of my control. I would think that the vfs networks are very busy with everyone rendering out their final projects, that could be what is slowing down our web space access.

Syeko
06-24-2003, 03:50 PM
i just added individual clips and some images, try checking those to see if they play correctly

http://www.vfs.com/~simonm/

Thanks

roguenroll
06-24-2003, 03:54 PM
very nice, great presentation, I guess you need to thorw up another mirror, it took quite a long time to DL.

worth seeing folks

r

lildragon
06-24-2003, 03:55 PM
Heheh I think we're going to need some mirrors again ;) help anyone? We're tapped this month or I would've helped ya.

-lild

unLevel
06-24-2003, 03:58 PM
I might be able to mirror it, if I can get to his page to d/l it first...

Let me see it, then let me see what I can do, ok?

which thing am I supposed to be downloading, I see like 6 things...

BiTMAP
06-24-2003, 04:02 PM
I'm recompressing your film (if that is alright? ) right now its to send to a friend. I have gotten it down to 8mb useing the Xvid. Your video information is extreamly tiny! its the sound that was giving me trouble to compress :)

Uhm, if the artist allows this extreamly small compression could be made avalible.

Syeko
06-24-2003, 04:03 PM
the file labeled SimonMills2003.avi

that would be great if you could set that up!

Thank you.

Syeko
06-24-2003, 04:05 PM
Sure, make that 8mb file available also, that would also be great.

Thanks.

unLevel
06-24-2003, 04:07 PM
BiTMAP, wanna send me that 8mb file so I can mirror it? pm me the link, or something

want me to mirror both? I might be able to do that, but I'm only allowed like 3 gig transfer per month...

I mgiht be able to mirror off several of my accounts, ok?

Zag
06-24-2003, 04:10 PM
It ask for a username and a password :surprised :surprised

unLevel
06-24-2003, 04:12 PM
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /~simonm/ on this server

Obsti
06-24-2003, 04:14 PM
That's fricken great stuff!!!

im just uploading the uncompressed avi, to mirror it.

will post the link, when upload is finished:applause:

visualboo
06-24-2003, 04:19 PM
I can help out if you need a mirror.

BiTMAP: Send me that file. email me... with this (visualboo@hotmail.com)

Mangled Poly
06-24-2003, 04:22 PM
yeah we need mirrors, i really want to see this!

onelung
06-24-2003, 04:23 PM
same!!!1:surprised

jkushwara
06-24-2003, 04:23 PM
Simon,

Downloaded it, watched it, then watched it again..and again..and again..

Beautiful work ! The facial animation rigs are outstanding - I'll be spending alot of time over the next few days in an attempt to reverse engineer what you've accomplished...and waiting not so patiently for any scraps of info or (if only it could be so easy !) tutorials to come.

BiTMAP
06-24-2003, 04:27 PM
Alright, I have NO clue on what type of bandwidth limits i get... so If u would please download from me only if the others are busy that would be nice.

You need this Codec (and a player that works with it, I use Sasami2k)

XviD_install.exe (http://www.members.shaw.ca/timgauthier/XviD_Install.exe)

The reason I used Xvid is apparent when you see the quality of the video compaired to the original and the size diffrences. its simply amazing.

The Xvid Compressed Version of the reel.

SimonMills_2003_Xvid.avi (http://www.members.shaw.ca/timgauthier/SimonMills_2003_Xvid.avi)

Mangled Poly
06-24-2003, 04:31 PM
thanks bitmap your my hero go in fast and got a 300k download

BiTMAP
06-24-2003, 04:32 PM
mangled:
I hate you, thats faster then I can even get! lol

brianellebracht
06-24-2003, 04:34 PM
I am downloading it now. THanks for the mirror!
Brian

spm
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /~simonm/ on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.27 Server at www.vfs.com Port 80

visualboo
And here's another mirror
SimonMills_2003_Xvid.avi (http://www.visualboo.com/movies/SimonMills_2003_Xvid.avi)

Oh and have fun at the new job :D :beer:

Mangled Poly
boy oh boy that is awesome.... Im hoping to attend the school next year, i have heard many amazing things about it

brianellebracht
06-24-2003, 04:37 PM
That was great!! Amazing work. Good luck on the job hunt :)
Brian

aazimkhan
06-24-2003, 04:39 PM
gulp............AMAZING rigging...WOW.

I can understand the pain in those shape animaitons, the rigs, the weigthing....oh man..

:thumbsup:

Alienkissed
06-24-2003, 04:41 PM
your rigging is awesome... and your animations and models have a great feel!!!

:beer:

what do you want your main focus to be in the job market?

PaxtonGerrish
06-24-2003, 04:42 PM
I love the idea for the face rig :buttrock:
im totally stealing it! :D

visualboo
06-24-2003, 04:45 PM
I WANT an explenation on how you set up that facial system.

edit: btw... whoever asked about the music, it's linkin park - meteora.

UnlikelyCorny
06-24-2003, 04:47 PM
this is aweird experience, I get the animation rotated at 180 degrees......(or am I missing something?)

onelung
06-24-2003, 04:50 PM
amazing, simply amazing..... i love teh facial expresiol, the smile made me almost crap myself..... just great:drool:

BiTMAP
06-24-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by UnlikelyCorny
this is aweird experience, I get the animation rotated at 180 degrees......(or am I missing something?)

your missing everything.

Personaly I love the rigging, and the styles. And how intuative it is, like the beginning with that thing pulsing all you see, then the block moves and your like WOAH!... everythings so quick and precise and keeps it all flowing.

Obsti
06-24-2003, 05:17 PM
just finished uploading the uncompressed file (30MB)

http://www.obstology.com/stuff/SimonMills2003.avi

feel free to download

BiTMAP
06-24-2003, 05:22 PM
jsut a question? Why would u want to have to download a huge uncompressed avi ??

jackkhouri
06-24-2003, 05:26 PM
me too can<t access

lildragon
06-24-2003, 05:32 PM
You guys rock! Thx for supplying the mirrors. I've entered them in the first thread. Syeko you won't need luck with a reel like that, you'll need something more like a stick... to fight off the employers with ;)

-lild

3dflasher
06-24-2003, 05:35 PM
WOW! Hopefully you will be my TD someday. That is amazing. You got a "one of a kind" reel. Im with everyone else though...how did you do such great rigs. Did you make that interface for them too. I havent used xsi so I dont know how it handles morph targets and facial expressions. Please give us some more info...you got most of us at the edge of our seats :) Man..who wouldnt enjoy animating these characters with such great rigs....hours of fun. Great job again and tell us what lucky company snags you first :)

P.s. Thanks everyone for the quick mirrors...good looking out for the community ;)

Popsicle_g
06-24-2003, 05:42 PM
WOW, I was considering going to VFS. Now I think I'll consider it more seriously. Very inspirational stuff.

Berserker
06-24-2003, 05:53 PM
Good work Simon! Aren't you glad you decided to post your reel here! :scream:
I thought the pacing might be a bit too fast, but not anymore. When everything in the reel, including the music is racing along, it works fine here.

Of course, the rigging is wicked. I'll let Simon explain, but basically they're stored shapes linked to curves... (Hmm, If that helps, heheh.)

If only you had a 3 eyed robot in there, it would be complete...

Keep it up!!

Titan
06-24-2003, 06:03 PM
holy crap...how did you come up with that rigging/animation system ont he alien..that is wicked....is it totally original..and is there a max version?...please share your technique....

CreatureseEtc
06-24-2003, 06:07 PM
Awesome! :thumbsup:

Found any work so far with your killer reel ??

:cool:

I don't think you're going to have any problems finding work with this if you haven't already found somthin:)
See ya

Parasite
06-24-2003, 06:09 PM
incredible rigging.
YOU ROCK !!! :buttrock:

Audellah
06-24-2003, 06:12 PM
someone has already asked this, but you haven't answered... which program has been used for those rigs? and someone knows if it's possible to make such controls with maya???

i'm waitin' for your website and a longer animation!
great work

audellah

visualboo
06-24-2003, 06:20 PM
I'm almost positive he's using XSI. Yeah, who's your daddy?

criscoon
06-24-2003, 06:30 PM
Nice JOb simon!! that human moddel really came up good love the alien textures, wish you showed more face animation it was great!!!

Syeko
06-24-2003, 06:43 PM
I used XSI, Daddy was right.

The set up is just shapes and weighted nulls linked to a curve text control set which i created by hand. This setup is possible in any software that supports shape deformations and parameter linking. And even if the software did not support shapes, weighted nulls would do just fine, it would just take longer.

As for a job, well, im just finishing a very worthwhile and challenging experience at VFS and i will be putting my reel onto tapes shortly in hope of finding employment!

KolbyJukes
06-24-2003, 06:48 PM
WOW! What class are you?

That was absolutely amazing!

The face rigs were spectacular, the animation at the start was very well shot too.

-Kol.

eho
06-24-2003, 07:02 PM
Wow dude, I'm scared to ask your age (please don't be younger then me, please don't be younger then me). I've seen some good and some really bad come out of VFS before, this is easily the BEST. You have a great reel dude, it's at such a pace where I absorb the information but want a little more - want so much more actually.
Man, i like your style too. The little slotabases the models are on gives a wicked little quality too. WICKED WICKED WICKED. I want to hug you and punch you at the same time, it's that good.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Syeko
06-24-2003, 07:04 PM

jackkhouri
06-24-2003, 07:14 PM
hey ... what kind of compression do I need to reed the avi? DivX doesn<t seem to be working!

thhchx
06-24-2003, 07:18 PM
Impressive work indeed. Your hardwork truly shows in the reel.

I don't use XSI personally, but I like the way the facial control panel was created. Did you custom code all those or that's the way people do those in XSI? Were you introduced to such method by your instructors? Do you have programming background?

Please touch some more on this topic further. I'm very curious.

By the way for those who can't view the reel. The codec is Xvid not Divx... Do a seach in any search engine to look for the codec for installation. Remember it's XVID...

chips__
06-24-2003, 07:29 PM
DAMN! tell us more about that facial rigging. that's too good man! if i wasn't job hunting, i'd hire you! :D

P

KolbyJukes
06-24-2003, 07:29 PM
@E=MC2

REMEMBER IT'S XVID not DIVX

visualboo
06-24-2003, 07:40 PM
Actually the original file is DIVX. The smaller 8mb one is XVID.

XviD codec (http://www.members.shaw.ca/timgauthier/XviD_Install.exe)

DivX codec (http://www.divx.com)

symantix
06-24-2003, 07:47 PM
I'm pretty sure you can set up a rig control system like that in maya using curves and locators (what he is calling "nulls" I believe)...then you can connect the aspects of your facial rig to it using set-driven-key operations...

I know I'm going to try it! Very cool stuff...

BTW, did you guys notice that the alien's face changes expressions every time he rotates around? lol...Very original stuff...

DreamcastDC
06-24-2003, 07:49 PM
Wow, the demo reel rocks

SheepFactory
06-24-2003, 07:50 PM
That is the best facial animation setup i have ever seen!

you wont be looking for a job for long

BiTMAP
06-24-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by KWAK
@E=MC2

REMEMBER IT'S XVID not DIVX

exactly, Becuase I only have 10mb of space I had to shrink the video to fit, and i was able to shrink it enough to allow me to have room to also put the codec and a few essental files up. I didn't have to resize the video at all and there is a minimal loss in quality. Sound however is now 16bit mono MPEG 3 Compression and sometimes sticks for me, unsure if anyone else is getting that.

Also does anyone else get some artifacts on the rotation of the models??

Titan
06-24-2003, 08:04 PM
could you explain a little more what you mean by Curve text control..I gather that you created text objects to use as a control point..
what I understand is that you created null objects to use for animation points and set the range on the animation...then wired that parameter to the control....but
how did you set up the little slider box for the jaw, smile, brow and keep it constrained inside the bigger box... allowing you to orbit it around rather than just slide up and down?

any light you can shed would be helpful...or a small tut..

Syeko
06-24-2003, 08:21 PM
use position limitations or bounding volumes on the controling objects.

Audellah
06-24-2003, 08:38 PM
i'm sure that such deformations can be easily obtained in maya... but what amazed me was the control panel with orbital control instead of single-value sliders...
Until now, i'd never seen a control panel like that, and reading the other comments it's the first time for lots of people here!

did u obtained that panel with knowledge of programming or it's made easily through the XSI normal interface?

visualboo
06-24-2003, 08:40 PM
Simon: check your PM :beer:

Audellah: exactly man, same here.

perryj
06-24-2003, 08:51 PM
Tutorial Pleassssse. on your facial rig setup and contols. Great Work.

Onno
06-24-2003, 08:54 PM
It's been said before, but holy macaroni, that facial control system is beyond belief. Super duper sweet! :p

Nice reel, the rotations were a bit long for me.

Talos
06-24-2003, 08:55 PM
dude that face interface is amazing! OMFG!:eek:

u have to make a tutoral on how to do that all thats so crazy, and much easyer to work with :thumbsup:

NanoGator
06-24-2003, 09:27 PM
I'm very impressed with your creativity and sense of style. You did an awesome job keeping my eyes glued to the video. Kudos bud. ;)

jkushwara
06-24-2003, 09:44 PM
Had to chime in again after watching a few more times. What makes the rigging so great is the nuances of movement and character added to the basic controls - the jaw control influencing the lips when lifted beyond the midpoint of it's control box.... the smile control opening the jaw when dragged down - and spot on changes in expressions to match !

I was really blown away when I looked for additional control movement (lip controls moving with jaw control, ect.) during these changes and saw none - that all the nuances were directly linked to a single control ! And not only were the secondary elements automated- but they had a total sense of character and emotion....How long did it take to come up with the expression controls ?

I can only hope it was a looong looong time ;-)

db23
06-24-2003, 09:47 PM
Great work simon, would love to see some more animation.

To everyoen else - the facial rig itself is not hard to set up at all, just time consuming.

the principle will work in any software package, the terminology is just different.

1. model face shapes
2. create the control panel out of curves, geometry, whatever you like. Make sure each panel has some sort of driving object - in this case it was Nulls, but geometry, implicits, curves, anything works.
3. Link the values of your face/blend shape sliders with either positional or rotational values of the driving objects in your control panel you created. You can make this as detailed or sloppy as you want. You can limit the values to stay within the paramaters you made in your control panel with either bounding volumes or expression based limits in world space. You can even restrict their movement to single axis's.

How you link the sliders with the driving objects is what depends on the software you use. In XSI its done with "link withs" and you just set relative values on the driving object. In Maya its done with Set Driven Keys, where you do the same. I'm not familiar with 3DS max, but i'm sure its possible or has some equivelant.

Oh and one last note - you probably want to make sure that the links you establish are using a linear curve for the values, and not spline based. XSI automatically makes the links spline based so you'll have to change em.

Theres probably quiet a few variations of doing this same thing - its up to you to really decide what makes the most sense and what works best.

BiTMAP
06-24-2003, 10:00 PM
what I loved was the spider control, How was that setup? IT looks pretty nifty and seems to allow for ALOT of extra secondary motion..

shaangfx
06-24-2003, 10:06 PM
really nice job buddy!!!!!!!!!
u have a promising future! ur art tech skills are really superb!
how old are u???????:beer: :buttrock: :applause:

rocarpen
06-24-2003, 10:51 PM
Any chance of either:

A.) reposting the original file?
B.) recompressing as an MPEG?

XVID isn't out for Mac OSX it seems, and the original DVIX version isn't available for download. Bummer.

On a side note, can't these fuggin' developers come up with less confusing names for their damn codecs? XVID, DVIX... how stupid is that? It's like starting a fast food chain and calling it McRonalds...

:rolleyes:

BiTMAP
06-24-2003, 10:56 PM
no no no it would be sdlanoDcM, and the reason behind that was cuase its like DivX accept better... err yeah i don't get it either. I don't have space for a mpeg4 .mov file.

Hires
06-24-2003, 11:10 PM
wow

Pants01
06-24-2003, 11:16 PM
I don't know about it being the best modeling reel to come out of VFS, but that rigging and shape animation setup is awsome. I usually just use sliders for my shape animation, but I'm sure I'll use your system for my next character. I'm with everyone else in saying that you should put up a tutorial for this. It's great to see all these new demo reels coming out of VFS. They have been getting better ever since VFS switched from 5 to 6 terms in the program. I graduated with class 35, what class are you in?

KenM
06-24-2003, 11:47 PM
Wow Simon, amazing face expressions and setups. I wonder if Lightwave canhandle that sort of setup? Great work, man.:applause:

I would guess that diagonal movements in the controller circles are translated as seperate horizontal and vertical controllers accessed simultaneously.

NanoGator
06-24-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by KenM
Wow Simon, amazing face expressions and setups. I wonder if Lightwave canhandle that sort of setup? Great work, man.:applause:

I would guess that diagonal movements in the controller circles are translated as seperate horizontal and vertical controllers accessed simultaneously.

Bingo. Create an object with Endomorphs. Then create Null objects to act as the controllers. Then, apply MorphMixer to the object. Then, use Channel Follower (from the Graph Editor) to map the movements of the Null to the influence a particular Endomoprh has on the base object. And yes, diagonal would be two seperate endomorphs. One's mapped to x, the other to y.

Hope that helps. :)

Ravennome
06-24-2003, 11:57 PM
My codecs aren't working, can you post in just uncompressed?

cgwolf
06-25-2003, 12:01 AM
Simon I can see the hard work you have put into your demo reel so far and it looks great. Also your face rig is very innovative. Looks great

NanoGator
06-25-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by zainlars
My codecs aren't working, can you post in just uncompressed?

http://forums.scifi-meshes.com/images/smilies/lol.gif

Go here to download the codec:

http://nic.dnsalias.com/xvid.html

This is the exact one I'm using to view this piece.

Syeko
06-25-2003, 12:59 AM
My advice to anyone that wishes to create this setup would be to plan for the movements and emotions that you need so u can base your rig on those needed actions. - other little things can be added later - they are just gravy... Think about what u would like to have to control something else....but don't make things more difficult by over rigging them... i made that mistake a few times..

The tough ones are the eyes... to get them to blink by unfolding the geometry and also to be able to deform it when the eye is moving around under the lids.

I will definatly post a tutorial with lots of pictures to show the mehod i used in creating those rigs - just a little bit busy with finishing up school and trying to catch up on some well needed sleep!

Give it a a few days an i will post something up.

Happy rigging!

Thanks everbody for your interest in my work, and thanks to the guys/gals that set up those mirrors!

Lucid1313
06-25-2003, 01:30 AM
Very inspiring! I watch most of the reels that come through cg talk and this one just wowed me. Great job.:thumbsup:

flameon
06-25-2003, 01:40 AM
Hay dude some nice work :beer:
VFS is pumping out some great students from what I can see. I'd hire them for sure man:buttrock:

Sounds like you have some sleepless nights ahead good luck.

funnydoodle
06-25-2003, 02:29 AM
i downloaded it and played it with media player but only sound comes out ... no visuals..... can anyone help out?

Raideen
06-25-2003, 03:58 AM
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

THAT REEL WAS OFF THE HOOK!!!

All the best at school and I am in agreement with everyone else you will have NO problem finding a job soon.
I'm waiting for the tutorials for the interface.

Raideen
06-25-2003, 04:15 AM
To all those who are having difficulty playing the avi dl
K-Lite 2.03 here

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/articles/auto/05132003a

hope it helps

Titan
06-25-2003, 04:16 AM
so what is driving the animation...the nulls? what exactly is the geometry linked to that makes it move and deform..a bone?
is it a bone that is linked to a null that is linked to a control panel?

I'm so confused..as a modeller and concept artist I really suck at facial rigs, so I'm just trying to understand this.....

izmal
06-25-2003, 04:42 AM
Nice character rigging...thanks for the mirror...:applause:
keep up the good work...cool!:beer:

KnightVFX
06-25-2003, 05:00 AM
What do ya know? Simon, you proved me wrong, you really do know what you are doing. :thumbsup: So when are you going to get me a job?

Heber
06-25-2003, 05:54 AM
whoa that blew me away ., i had no idea that sorta setup was possible , but yeah i can just imagine all the work that went to get everything to work properly , either way you said you will be posting a tutorial on this , that is great news because i am really interested as so is everyone else , good luck job hunting man :)

jason-slab
06-25-2003, 06:34 AM
wow, really amazing stuff!!

verbal007
06-25-2003, 07:12 AM
... awesome rig. Very intuitive. Definately inspiration and motivation for me to keep working. I personally made the mistake and am taking on MUCH more then I should be able to handle... but seeing your reel is definately a good push for me. Guess I was surprised to see how everyone respects a good rig... just when I thought that everyone only pays attention to modeling/animating/rendering.

Thanks for the push, I need every bit that I can get. *sigh* Another 6 months... at least.

If I had any constuctive crit... it would be to see more details on the rig for the body. I assume it's pretty killer, but would love to see it.

Thank you.

- Jeremy

pencil-head
06-25-2003, 07:25 AM
your riging abilities is definatly your strong point in your reel.
outstanding stuff :thumbsup:

Jadzia Dax
06-25-2003, 07:42 AM
Hey Syeko, what program did you use? You've got some awesome work there, I like how smooth the motion is, great characters, I like how you did the environment too. Somebody'd have to be crazy not to hire you.

So you're a VFS student , I've been thinking about going there myself, if they're turning out students like you, I'm sure I want to go.

My Fault
06-25-2003, 08:59 AM
Yeah, that facial rig is so brilliant and the fact that you can recreate it in most apps is quite cool. I've been playing around in Animation Master today recreating aspects of it and it was surprisingly simple. Now if AM would let us do a ui like Soft that would be nirvana.

Will be interesting to see how many days before some smart studio picks you up!! :p

mage111
06-25-2003, 09:13 AM
brilliant stuff, i love the third creature the most, and the first alien,
love the facial animation too, that made my eyes :eek:

GL in the future, you have got alot to offer :-)

mr-doOo
06-25-2003, 10:13 AM
Hey Syeko,that s a really good showreel that you have, my only comment is about the vikking skin that look like strange maybe it the colored specular, i don t know, but maybe it s the way you wanted it?
and i have also a question about your facial rig, don t it become
confusing when you re coming to manipulate Fcurves ?
anyway FELICITATON!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Katachi
06-25-2003, 10:21 AM
I cannot see the movie :shrug: I can here the sound but nothing on the screen. I have the latest divx 5.05 installed and downloaded the xvid-compressed movie.

Anybody know what I need to install to see it?

shapeshifter
06-25-2003, 10:57 AM
Designer:

Look at what you wrote; you're giving the answer yourself:
u downloaded the X V I D movie and you have the D I V X codec installed :D

go to page 3 or so in this thread: BITMAP there posted a direct link to download the XVID codec :thumbsup:

and then watch it...it's really worth it

Katachi
06-25-2003, 11:33 AM
oups :blush: Thank you :beer:

zempher
06-25-2003, 11:41 AM
OK firstly I must say this is a very impressive demostration of rigging and good animation on the alien.

The facial animation ui is great!

Can someone tell me is this interface in a orthographical viewport or can you create a window with the curves in it?

Katachi
06-25-2003, 11:45 AM
DAMN, thatīs freaking cool rigging, animation and yes, especially facial anims... :eek: :buttrock:

Berserker
06-25-2003, 12:20 PM
zempher: the facial rigs were captured straight from the viewport in XSI using Camtasia.

gary hsu
06-25-2003, 01:42 PM
Hey, Simon, congrets

I am downloading your reel now, can't wait to see it, the last time I saw your stuff, you were still in term 5, and I was blown away by that facial rig you had there, heheh, I am sure it's going to be goooood.............I thought you still have a scholarship term to go?

Vandal
06-25-2003, 03:51 PM
Very pimp.

The first time I saw a facial rig like this was playing EVE Online beta. When you create your character, you can use slider boxes like that to change the shape and look of your character all in the gaming interface. I found it quite fun!!!

Ever since then I've wated to recreate that setup, but it looks like someone already has. Good work man!

I can't wait to see your tutorial and hopefully convert it to Maya so that I may work with it :)

jkushwara
06-25-2003, 04:17 PM
Simon,

Thanks for the tutorial offer - can't wait !

Ken M. - yep- it's more than possible in LW with the methods already covered. I've done it with null controllers linked to endomorphs with follower scripts - though not nearly as cool or ellegantly as Simon. The nice thing is that with everything properly set up the null controls will drive the morphs beyond their 0 - 100 values to get into some extreme character expressions.

Carbon
06-25-2003, 04:52 PM
So cool.

thhchx
06-25-2003, 08:02 PM
Now I remember seeing such concept of controller character expressions in some big studios quite a while ago. The difference was they use bulky joysticks or some physical 'joystick' like controllers to control expressions.

This way of doing is XSI is simply cool. I can't wait to see the tutorials.

dbach
06-25-2003, 10:23 PM
I have two questions, The first one relating to (of course) your rig. As far as I understand it right now you are using geometry or nulls as your controlls and those are driving the face shapes, I was wondering if it would be much more difficult to incoperate those controlls into a synoptic view.

The second question has to do with the XVID codec, has anyone found that it will only play in the lower left corner of there monitor when playing it with Media player 9 and does anyone know a solution to this problem?

Very nice reel, I would say that the face texture on the warrior looks a bit off, I think mainly because of the detail change between the face and the neck.

Many thanx,
Don

baiyusong
06-25-2003, 11:03 PM
really awesome rigging, and that song you used I like it so much too......

wanna see someday your whole version story coming out, must be another rocking stuff ...
:applause:

BiTMAP
06-25-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by dbach

The second question has to do with the XVID codec, has anyone found that it will only play in the lower left corner of there monitor when playing it with Media player 9 and does anyone know a solution to this problem?

The answer COuld be the Windows Media player, I personaly Do not even have the lastest version as I use the Sasami2k PlayerSasami2k Player (http://sasami2k.new21.net/index2.html) (yeah I know, its pink ;)) I Rather like this player as its all about the video and doesn't interfere with it. Try that if its not that, The i havn't a clue. (sasami2k can prolly replace ALL of your video File Players including .mov players.)

jkatoe
06-26-2003, 12:46 AM
Here's a script to setup similiar kinds of controls only locked to the camera you have to link your values manually of course.
http://www.katoe.net/frig/FaceControls.gif
http://www.katoe.net/xsi_code/FaceControls.vbs

Syeko
06-26-2003, 12:59 AM
I just updated the first page so the divx copy works now and u can also view a few other things.

Sorry it was not working before.. im so glad the XVID version was there!

something to add to that last post..

if your doing facial animation have a seperate camera locked to the head bone as well as the controls locked to the camera, this makes it easyer if u have those shots where the head is moving all over the place.

jenga
06-26-2003, 01:31 AM
:drool: how the hell did he do the rigz??????? what appz???????
would u do some dvd trainings?????????

DigiLusionist
06-26-2003, 02:46 AM
Damned fine work!

The functionality of the rig controllers reminds me of puppeteering with LipService. Very, very good work, Simon.

jkatoe
06-26-2003, 03:08 AM
I just fixed some minor bugs in that script.
http://www.katoe.net/xsi_code/FaceControls.vbs

Just a note:
-Don't run the script in immediate mode or else you'll get funky effects.
-If you want the controls in different sizes just scale the square control to the size you need.
-If you want to reposition them the controls position limits are locked to the limits of the screen now.
-The group created along with the controls is there for you to turn off the selectability once you've scaled and positioned your controls to where you like them.
:)

Heber
06-26-2003, 03:18 AM
cool script katoe , also the other ones on your website are cool too , your site is not listed anywhere maybe youy should submit it to the big xsi sites , people need to get a hold of your scripts, many good ones there imo ;)

dimitrios_c
06-26-2003, 05:35 AM
WOW!! After seeing that I'm motivated to spend time learning scripting and better rigging. It makes my character animation look labourious and time consuming which it is. They must be so much fun to animate. WOW!!! How can anyone not hire you, you've got the technical and artistic skills to make it...not like wannabes like myself :blush: Great reel, however employers watching it will probably mute it :scream: :applause:

lildragon
06-28-2003, 11:59 AM
This reel is just to good not to grant you this. Get to work on that Tut so we Mayans can port over the technique ;)

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Inspiring work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_june03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

blindsleeper
06-29-2003, 07:50 AM
First of all, congrats on the plug... well deserved awesome modelling and rigs. I have a question though... What is the name of the song you used in the reel? (gots ta get me a copy)

Syeko
06-29-2003, 07:54 AM
Linkin Park
Breaking the Habit

blindsleeper
06-29-2003, 08:08 AM
thx... should have known that one...

baiyusong
06-29-2003, 09:39 AM
that song is Linkin Park's "BreakingTheHabbit", exciting one included in their album "METEORA"

:beer: :rolleyes:

Massoud
06-29-2003, 01:03 PM
very nice seyco

mhovland
06-29-2003, 02:52 PM
Well after seeing this reel and the facial rigging, I sat down with one of my character artists, and started talking about doing this in Maya.

So everyone using Maya can get all warm and fuzzy, I am writting a set of scripts to set up these types of controls. I have the basic functionality working, and am now just thinking about how to impliment more advanced features, like automatic hook up of the blend shapes. I have a number of ideas, but haven't decided on anything yet.

If anyone has any thoughts on the functionality they would like to see, pop an e-mail off to mhovland@midwaygames.com and I'll add them to my list.:buttrock:

lildragon
06-29-2003, 04:32 PM
Mike you're going to make many a maya user beam with joy. :cool:

-lild

My Fault
06-29-2003, 04:44 PM
Cool. A few of us Animation Master users have been playing with a facial setup similar to this and it was really easy to set up and is just a blast to use. Syeko rules!!

pencil-head
06-30-2003, 07:26 AM
for those who haven't figured it out yet. who can do the same thing in max by assigning a "float reactor" contoller to the morph modifier.

BiTMAP
06-30-2003, 07:44 AM
His facial rig isn't anything overly new at all, I know people who've created hardware controlers to use in max for facial rigs, however What was really new to ME, was when he showed the spider, that isn't bones he's useing for the rigging... and that was really kool to me, and thats what i want to know how to do.

dbach
06-30-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by BiTMAP
His facial rig isn't anything overly new at all, I know people who've created hardware controlers to use in max for facial rigs, however What was really new to ME, was when he showed the spider, that isn't bones he's useing for the rigging... and that was really kool to me, and thats what i want to know how to do.

To me it seems that they are bones, in XSI you can change there display area, and in the newer versions you can change the way they are displayed as well eg. make them look like boxes, also you can envelope/weight to practically anything in XSI.

Of course I only have the Xvid version of the reel and I didn't make the rig, so I could be wrong...

Also I will re post a question I posted earlier in this thread. Would it be possible to set up a facial rig like the one in your reel inside of a synoptic view? And if so how could it be done?

Out,
Don

mhovland
06-30-2003, 01:19 PM
Would it be possible to set up a facial rig like the one in your reel inside of a synoptic view? And if so how could it be done?

What do you mean by synoptic view? I may be stupid here, but I have never heard of a synoptic view before.......please explain.

lildragon
06-30-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by mhovland
What do you mean by synoptic view?.......please explain.

http://www.onionboy.co.uk/tutorials_synoptic_2.html

-lild

spooky3d
06-30-2003, 01:54 PM
Very Nice modeling great attention to detail. Keep it up.

secretasianman
07-01-2003, 03:13 AM
looks like it would be great fun to play with, i wish someone would make one for max or knew how to.

reminds me of puppets bu not the string type the mechanicle ones.

please say there is a max person out there that will make a rig like this and post it .

BiTMAP
07-01-2003, 04:15 AM
Max can do it, i'm not sure of the various names, but i know you can constrain things to a control (well for shape morphs i know for sure), i've seen it done with a joystick... but it could be prolly set to a null...

pencil-head
07-01-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by secretasianman
i wish someone would make one for max or knew how to.

i already said this but anyway. use "float reactor" contoller on the morph modifier. or if you want to do what BiTMAP suggested with the joystick, use the motion "capture controller"

http://www.geocities.com/pencil_head_studios/pic.txt

BRB
07-01-2003, 08:13 PM
Very nice work Simon! nice rigging, and nice modeling. has alot of character! keep it out during your 2 extra months dude!:thumbsup:

koity
07-02-2003, 09:57 AM
Hey this is Chien

:drool: Love the models. Overall a high quality modeling reel.
Looks like I have a lot to catch up with your current level simon...

I really liked the alien rig. You put in a lot of time of it eh?
Maybe use something else instead of black backgroud will be nice?
:D

pablov
07-03-2003, 12:36 AM
hey Simon,
amzing reel, man.
Did you get scholarship or you are working already?
Take care,
Pablo.

Go VFS.:buttrock: :buttrock:

nomad_girl
07-04-2003, 08:34 PM
excellent job simon-

you have worked hard and it certainly shows. really like those faces on the alien!

look forward to seeing what you do in scholarship. have fun in the treefort and don't do anything i wouldn't do in there!

tredeger
07-08-2003, 01:23 AM
Well, this reel is certainly causing a sensation and rightly so. As someone who is trying to develop innovative rigs myself, I'm really encouraged by the response your rigging work has gotten and I'm glad to see that this technical endeavor is so well appreciated. I could tell you I'm amazed by the rigs you've presented, but you've heard all that before.

After looking through most of the posts here, it seems that your rigs are sooooooo good, that they are obscuring the quality of the rest of the work. Like all the VFS reels, there is a high degree of polish to the presentation. Nice job. While it is hard to judge the quality of models simply because the aesthetics of modeling are subjective, there is so much great modeling out there, etc. your models are quite nice and from what I saw they behave and deform beautifully. I like them. Now, the stuff I think deserves mention but has been somewhat overlooked:

Your animation. It's really excellent--your not afraid to time things quickly--so many people accidently make everything they do slow motion but your actions have terrific pacing. The poses are dynamic and have nice clear silhouettes. And the secondary motion on the archer at the end of the real just blew me away. So much subtle whole body expression in three fifths of a second. The tension and trembling in the arm as he draws the bow is exquisite--kudos.

To be honest, I thought some of the wobbling poses of the alien in the beginning weren't really very natural, but I didn't mind them because I was engaged by the story. Darnit, how come no one seems to notice what a really terrific accomplishment this is: You have managed to tell a story in about 6 seconds that is engaging, intriguing and FUNNY. And you sell that story with body language and facial gestures. I can really connect to the emotions of the viking dude and I've known him for less than a second. Are you proud of that? You should be.

Just to make sure you don't get too big a head from all this gushing: shame on you-- there is a gratuitous lens flare on your name title at the beginning of the reel. Argh! ;-)

Seriously though, I wish you all the success you can handle and I hope you become a really active participant in the 3D community--if you are generous with your ideas, I think the entire world of animation could benefit greatly. So thanks in advance.

kitratzi,
Jazz

tredeger
07-08-2003, 01:23 AM
Well, this reel is certainly causing a sensation and rightly so. As someone who is trying to develop innovative rigs myself, I'm really encouraged by the response your rigging work has gotten and I'm glad to see that this technical endeavor is so well appreciated. I could tell you I'm amazed by the rigs you've presented, but you've heard all that before.

After looking through most of the posts here, it seems that your rigs are sooooooo good, that they are obscuring the quality of the rest of the work. Like all the VFS reels, there is a high degree of polish to the presentation. Nice job. While it is hard to judge the quality of models simply because the aesthetics of modeling are subjective, there is so much great modeling out there, etc. your models are quite nice and from what I saw they behave and deform beautifully. I like them. Now, the stuff I think deserves mention but has been somewhat overlooked:

Your animation. It's really excellent--your not afraid to time things quickly--so many people accidently make everything they do slow motion but your actions have terrific pacing. The poses are dynamic and have nice clear silhouettes. And the secondary motion on the archer at the end of the real just blew me away. So much subtle whole body expression in three fifths of a second. The tension and trembling in the arm as he draws the bow is exquisite--kudos.

To be honest, I thought some of the wobbling poses of the alien in the beginning weren't really very natural, but I didn't mind them because I was engaged by the story. Darnit, how come no one seems to notice what a really terrific accomplishment this is: You have managed to tell a story in about 6 seconds that is engaging, intriguing and FUNNY. And you sell that story with body language and facial gestures. I can really connect to the emotions of the viking dude and I've known him for less than a second. Are you proud of that? You should be.

Just to make sure you don't get too big a head from all this gushing: shame on you-- there is a gratuitous lens flare on your name title at the beginning of the reel. Argh! ;-)

Seriously though, I wish you all the success you can handle and I hope you become a really active participant in the 3D community--if you are generous with your ideas, I think the entire world of animation could benefit greatly. So thanks in advance.

kitratzi,
Jazz

Syeko
07-08-2003, 07:42 AM
Thank you

monkeysweat
07-10-2003, 07:11 PM
maybe I'm a bit behind, but what was the software? Also, were the GUI's yours or does that software have those as default. Very cool, very intuative(sp). You did a kick a** job.:buttrock:

zempher
07-10-2003, 07:16 PM
dude. read the thread!

Copy and paste
07-13-2003, 05:09 AM
AWESOME JOB!!WELL DONE....I WISH I HAD MY OWN COMPANY...WUD HAVE GRABBED YOU RIGHT AWAY.

BeCOOL_MiN
07-26-2003, 06:08 PM
Definitely Best Modeling Demo Reel ever so far !!!!!

YOu'RE King of modeling

CENOBITE
07-26-2003, 09:59 PM
its interesting that the animation reminds me of the movement seen from the stop-animation group the brothers quay. very cool. my only critique would be that the alien looks like his back would break when he leans back so far. exaggerated, but painful to watch.

man, if only i had the $$$ to go to this school... looks like they are producing some great students...:buttrock:

summeralive
07-27-2003, 05:34 PM
link broken!!!
cant see!:surprised

ninjacore
07-27-2003, 08:06 PM
tut.....wish i lived in vancouver, and had $24,000.......

but no seriously. just adding my appreciation for an inspiring reel. ( your also my age, which makes me :banghead: )

cel
09-25-2003, 01:56 PM
Hey Syeko, congrats on the awsome reel. I love your attention to detail in the facial rigs. Excellent job. Do you have anymore facial animation done. Oh yeah, and do you think that tutorial is coming soon?? I am sure we'd all love to see your methods. I used XSI for 2 years, but now I'm in Maya because that is what my school uses. Oh well. Awsome work, Cel

zerofil
10-04-2003, 02:17 AM
Very IMPRESSIVE work you did Simon, CONGRATULATIONS.
Hope you'll have a great futur (it's sure with a reel like that)
Thanks for getting around sharing your knowledge !!!

Originally posted by pencil_head
i already said this but anyway. use "float reactor" contoller on the morph modifier. or if you want to do what [B]BiTMAP suggested with the joystick, use the motion "capture controller"

Please can you tell more about this "float reactor" I've never heard about it.

I did found a way to get close to Simon's rigging under 3DS Max 4--5. But it's a very cheap trick and useful too.
I do it with scripted manipulator that control both X and Y values.
By this way you can control 2 morph targets with 1 manipulator.

From My opinion Simon's one is far more sophisticated I think he's mixing maybe 4 morphs target /one controller plus add scripting for wheighting and limits.
The eyes of the alien seems very tricky too cos if you look well the eyelid react with the pupil -> scripting.

There's other way to do it under max with facial bones and linked form or manipulators and scripting.. But it's a long way to go.

I'm waiting for Simon's tutorial.

Salaadin
10-04-2003, 02:27 AM
those blend shapes or what ever you wannal call them are amazing man ,,and the setup too ..that reel should be on the 1st page NOW...
:thumbsup:

BiTMAP
10-04-2003, 08:37 AM
it was, for a LONG time, this is an amazingly amazingly old post... but i guess its good enough to be dragged up, let this serve as a warnin though. Do not Desturb the Dead posts

Phalanx3D
02-18-2004, 01:06 AM
Anybody know a live link/mirror to this reel? I am trying to show a friend a good example of a student demo reel and it would be a shame for him not to see this one....

-p3d

pezz
02-18-2004, 05:54 AM
All links are dead now.. I'd really love to see this..

SkullboX
02-18-2004, 07:48 AM
The first link from vfs.com still works fine, get the reel, it's worth it :)

pezz
02-19-2004, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by SkullboX
The first link from vfs.com still works fine, get the reel, it's worth it :)
I wish they did, but they don't :( Getting 404's from vfs.com..

MajinPunisher
04-05-2004, 03:54 AM
I understand that this Xvid codec stuff is supposed to be really great, but I can't get it to work to save my life, and I've installed the codec who knows how many times (3 times).

Heber
04-06-2004, 08:26 AM
ive thrown the demo up for a few days on my server. it runs off my school server so i could care less about bandwidth , enjoy one of my favourite reels guys :)

simon mills demo 2003 (http://www.cdis.org/~halvarad/simon_mills_2003.avi)

right click "save target as"

killeratti
10-17-2004, 11:57 PM
some one plz setup a mirror of Simon Mills' amazing demo reel.I've been tryin to find it all over the place......but no luck.Someone plz plz plz plz host.I need to download it

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.