PDA

View Full Version : Maya and XP w/ dual screens.... help

Sieb
05-02-2002, 07:11 AM
I didnt have this problem till I went over to XP but I run dual LCDs off a Gf4MX460, but all my other programs will span the screens like IE, Max, and other stuff, but when it comes to Maya, it will not touch the other screen. I can resize it on the main screen but it wont go past it to the other. And when I move maya to the other screen, it acts like its not accelerated and so I cant tumble the screen or anything.. I know both heads are accelerated, which is why I upgraded to it, and Maya has no problem if Im running win2k. And I am positive it has something to do with XPs native support for dual screens.. Anyone have any ideas, or had the same problem? And no, going back to 2k is not an option.

dmcgrath
05-02-2002, 07:50 AM
From what I've heard, going to XP if you already have W2K isn't really worth the effort. I recommend sticking with W2K, but that is only an opinion. I've never used XP. I don't want the headaches.
AW's website doesn't have much in the way of recommendations for driver settings with Nvidias processors. But it is possible that Maya 4 isnt completely stable on XP. You may have to wait for 4.5 before the dual monitor support will work properly.
Go TO
http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Community/Support/qualified_hardware/QUAL/maya_40_NT.html

and see if any of the settings for The Quadro Pro cards will work for your setup

Good Luck

Sieb
05-03-2002, 03:50 AM
Goign to XP is worth the effort if you know what your doing. Upgrading to just be cool doesnt work. XP has so many benifits over 2k that I will never go back. And it honestly runs faster and more efficient than 2k. Not to mention, when I do load up 2k on here, I have to spend three weeks ironing out the bugs because of the stupid Via chipset. For some reason under 2K on my machine, nothing that anyone says solves the problems. My SBLive craps out, my playback craps out on music when my drives access something, 90% of my extra periphrials dont work right like my scanner or mp3 player, I have to network my laptop to this thing, whereas in XP I just plug in the firewire cord..

So as I said, loading 2k back on here is not an option to consider. Also, the info A|W gave on their website doesnt help at all in my situation, its all just about the applicaton crashing and such, no real settings. And the card itself has nothing to do with this problem since maya didnt have a problem in 2k. Like I said, I believe its an issue with XPs native dual screen support thats messing things up and I am probably the only person in the world that has had this problem.. Someone please prove me wrong!

ZrO-1
05-03-2002, 09:19 PM
I have maya running in Win XP pro on a GeForce3. I haven't had any problems with my dual screen. Though I am running the second monitor on the graphics chip embedded on the motherboard (tyan Thunder k7). I usually set up my maya layout with the main app on my GeForce and the extra windows (outliner/graph ed/script ed) on the second monitor. One thing you should know: The GeForce4 460 is only an enhanced GeForce2 ultra core with the 4's shell. You'd get much better performance out of any flavor of GeForce3. It's possible that because of that the hardware can't fully support openGL acceleration on the second monitor.

Azrael
05-03-2002, 09:25 PM
You get openGL on the second screen ZrO-1? I have the same configuration and there is no way hypershade would show anything on the second monitor. OpenGL on the first screen only. I'm waiting for the 900XGL which isn't available anywhere yet.

Sieb
05-03-2002, 10:52 PM
Well I know it works because when this first started happening, I loaded up 2k and it worked just fine. On one screen I had my top/side/front views, the other screen had my perspective. 3dsmax works just fine spanning the screens and is fully accelerated, the issues is with maya somewhere..

ZrO-1
05-04-2002, 12:40 PM
Yeah I get openGL on my second screen, but it is hardly useable. The mobo's chip is the ATI Rage XL with 8mb of memory. So...I can't put a view plane on it but I can put the other windows on it especially if it's not a graphic window. As far as the hypershade, I can drag it back and forth between screens all day long and everything in the hypershade stays viewable but I haven't tried working in the hypershade on the second screen.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.