PDA

View Full Version : robot arm rigging help

Segreto
01-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Hi everyone! Im attempting to rig up a robot arm with IK but i'm not quite sure how to go about doing it. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to how to get started at least. The main problem is that I want each joint to rotate on only a certain axis and I can quite seem to get it right when I use IK..

any help would be appreciated, thanks!

oh here's a shot of what I'm trying to accomplish...

oh im using 3ds max

CarlosA
01-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Hi Segreto,
the way i usualy go about this is preaty simple.
build your ik arm they way your normaly would.
clavicle, arm, forearm
then add points with "look at" constraints so that they are driven by the ik but their up nodes isolate rotations
for example parent a locator to the clavicle add a look at so it's look in at the arm and set the up node for the look at to follow the x axis of the arm.
that locator will follow the overall movement of the clavicle but twist with the arm.
you can use this technique to rigg some crazy robots stuff.
i'll try to get a scene for you, i don't have max on my laptop now i days.
cheers,
Los.

Segreto
01-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Carlos, thanks for the pointers, I think I'll try this out later today when I get a chance. I'll let you know how it goes or if I hit any roadblocks

thanks again!

CGTalk Moderation
01-12-2009, 04:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.