PDA

View Full Version : Rocketeer Helmet - Time Lapse

SplineGod
06-24-2003, 08:12 AM
I thought Id post this to show the general method I might use to model a helmet like this. The template polys provide points that I can pick off of to create the splines. The splines give the form and also, very importantly, the flow. The flow is important because it sets up the rest of the features I neen to create such as the crest/rudder, mouth, eyes and ridges.
The flow on a standard sphere is incorrect for something like this which is why I sent with splines. Also trying to create edges and extend them would make this far more difficult as well. I also end up using very few splines to define the whole thing.

http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/helmet.gif

Shade01
06-24-2003, 08:15 AM
Yep, that's exactly how I model things like that :) Produces a clean organized mesh every time. Thanks SplineGod!

SplineGod
06-24-2003, 08:25 AM
I use those templates like that to keep the curves on track.
I hate trying to fix dents by hand later. :)

Captain
06-24-2003, 05:00 PM
as of now I am terrible with splines...so bad I have actually never succeeded in making something with them. My only two methods of modeling are box (i think thats what its called where you bevel the crap out of a box) and Poly by Poly (I had the misfortune of creating an entire person w/ head point by point/poly by poly)

But that is amazing work...makes it look so simple....I am Envious....:(

I must learn ;)

BTW, Rockateer was one of my favorite movies, coincidentally I watched it a few days ago! and that helmet looks Incredible. You should smack a good texture on there.

-Captain

SplineGod
06-24-2003, 08:03 PM
You can see how the splines direct the flow of polys but also, as shade put it, keeps the mesh clean.
I have a free spline tutorial on my website and Im almost done with a series on spline modeling. :)
Go HERE (http://3dtrainingonline.com) for the free tut at the bottom of the page. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.