PDA

View Full Version : image plane/compositing question

teksurgical
01-07-2009, 12:54 AM
So I am working in Maya, and I want to use the image plane from one camera while rendering from another camera. I know this is not possible because the image plane only shows up for the camera it is connected to. And connecting the same image plane to two different cameras always messes up the positioning of the plane. I've rendered the object by itself already, and now just want the background only.

I'm at the point where I am going to just playblast the view that I want, with the correct image plane turned on. This is great because I can hide everything in the scene, but I cannot hide the image plane's camera! When I do this of course the image plane shuts off. And the camera's wireframe itself is in the view, when I need just the background. Can anyone tell me how to hide the camera while still seeing the image plane, or else maybe another method of doing this that I am completely overlooking? I need the image plane from a different camera because the render camera circles around the image plane in 3D space, so I need to view it from another camera. Thank you very much for any help.
Noah

frizDog
01-08-2009, 12:29 AM
I haven't used Maya in awhile...but it seems like there could be away to connect a nurbs plane to the camera imageplane (probably by expressions).
Apply the image to that new nurbs plane and you should be able to render that with the correct camera.

Makaze
01-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Umm, I might have misunderstood you, but why don't you project the imageplane onto a surface?
Create a new texture (lambert) and assign the imageplane image to it. Then use the camera you have the imageplane on to project it on a nurbs or polygon plane that you place where you want the "imageplane" to be. Now you should be able to use another camera while the projected image will still be in the scene.

Could that work? I can't remember the exact settings in Maya, but I'm sure there are matte painters here who has done this more recently.

CGTalk Moderation
01-08-2009, 09:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.