PDA

View Full Version : Help...Traditional alternatives to MD? animating a cloak

Netvudu
06-24-2003, 03:16 AM
Hi there people.

I have tried my best to use MD, but itīs really a hardware issue. seems my old computer is way older than old computers nowadays. I know I have to buy a new one (there always seems to be something else before buying a new system..like eating and other similar minor stuff), but still I want to animate a cloak.
I have tried with success the typical ball and cloth MD scenes and it works fine, but for my character scene is simply amazingly slow to be able to work with it.
And before you mention it, yeah, Iīve tried with lower calculation res, Iīve tried using MD metaplug, Iīve tried using it on a proxy model, and on a proxy of the proxy...too slow.
The thing is itīs a character with a long "closed" cloak, and as soon as I turn collisions on, the calculations speed rise faster than light. :hmm:

At the spanish LW mailing list (yeah, Iīm spanish...what yer gonna do :D ) Iīve been suggested an alternative in the way of good olībones. Could anybody who has used this method elaborate on this a bit more? Just a few tips as Iīm not remotely sure of which kind of bone setup this would require... Itīs the kind of cloak a medieval/RPG thief would wear. You know, covering head and shoulders and arms partially when they are down.

Of couse any other alternatives would be great as well.

Itīs a bit frustrating because I got the whole character rigged and prepared, and this thing is really stopping me.

I would like something which gave me a pretty good control over where the cloak is placed. I mean, if I canīt have collisions Iīll need a good control over the cloak to tweak it when it gets through the model.

I donīt post a lot around here, but Iīm still a nice chap. Help me super professionals of this forum! :cool:

EDIT: oh, and hi there Mikerb!
EDIT2: I see someone else posted about this topic too. I appologize for this sort of double posting, but both posts were pretty close.

dragonfollower
06-24-2003, 03:26 AM
Hey cool, I just posted a similar post here on the very same subject! I'm needing help with animating a character's cloak too. There's gotta be a way to do it. Come on you LW guru's, PLEASE!!! Give us some advice!!!

....ahem......

....I'm OK....

-Brian

Cman
06-24-2003, 04:30 AM
Oooh...I'm scouring my brain.
I swear it was MikeRB had a tut somewhere on using bones to "fake" SBD. I remember... a bone rig... inside a belly?...
help anyone??

Ah Ha!
Found it! (http://forum.lwhub.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79)

It's a thread with sample files...good luck!
Maybe you can figure out how to apply it to your cape? If you do... please share the knowledge!!:lightbulb :applause:

SplineGod
06-24-2003, 08:25 AM
I mentioned this in another thread but heres what I would do if I wasnt using MD:
1. Rough out the basic cloak motions using bones.
2. Next I would use displacement maps or normal displacement
to get the cloak to look like air is moving thru it
3. I would look at using endomorphs to further refine things.
Weight maps can also help to pin down geometry.

Netvudu
06-24-2003, 12:29 PM
thanks people. Iīll try all this stuff, although MikeRB posts always require you to be some sort of genius to keep at his pace :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.