PDA

View Full Version : Deciding the scale/size of character before modelling

Daawaa
01-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering was there any specific method of scaling your character to a size where issues like massive character microscopic bones won't occur. For instance can you work of a biped as a general height of your human character? I am just beginning to model my character and would like to know this in advance....

Tahnks!

DD

Piflik
01-06-2009, 06:29 PM
You can use nearly any object as reference fo the scale of you models. A Biped is definately an option. I myself just use a simple Box.

Daawaa
01-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks for reply! I also heard there is a way to set the co-ordinates of Max to real world dimensions, say if you want your character is 177cm tall (roughly). Is there a way to set this so you work off real life co-ordinates?

Daawaa
01-06-2009, 06:41 PM
I'll answer that question...just found it out (Customize>Units Setup...>Metric) Is this the best way to go about it (metric/real world units)? Or is there a better way?

Piflik
01-06-2009, 07:05 PM
That depends on what you want to achieve. If you have to be really accurate with your models, maybe beause you want to use photometric lights, you should definately use Real-World units and keep an eye on the scale of your models. And there's no disadvantage in using Real-World Units. So my advice would be to always use them.

Daawaa
01-06-2009, 07:34 PM
nice one thanks man!

Leionaaad
01-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Scale depends a lot on the size of the scene and the surrounding objects.
In max it is not enough to set the display units, you also have to change the system units: this is where you actually scale the scene, the other is just how the unit is displayed.
To understand it better: max uses it's own internal units, no matter the measurement system. When you set the display units, it is only in the interface. when you export it or animate it or anything else you do is made in the internal units.

Leionaaad
01-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Basically: if you set the system units to be 1 unit = 1 meter, and the display unit to centimeters. You make a box to be 100 cm. This will be 1 unit height, actually. If you set 1 unit to be 1 cm and the display units leave at cm, a box with 100cm will be 100 units heigh.

Daawaa
01-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Interesting, thanks for that Leionaad :cool:
(http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=99945)

Mincher
01-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Be aware that if you are modeling for a game engine that you will have to take it's unit measurements into account.

For example, if I remember correctly, 1 Maya Unit = 1 unit in Unreal Tournament 2004.

Although scaling issues can be fixed in code at a later point, it makes more sense to get it right initially to save the hassle (we're not all coders/scripters)!

CGTalk Moderation
01-12-2009, 12:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.