PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a cloak for animation?

dragonfollower
06-24-2003, 04:02 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to rig this character for an animated movie I'm doing and I'm having A LOT of problems rigging the cloak to move like it's supposed to. I've been trying to learn how to use motion designer, but it seems pretty daunting and impossible to get useful effects out of. The SBD in Messiah (the package I'm using for anim) also are pretty useless. Can anyone tell me the best way to go about doing something like this?

Many thanks,

-Brian Taylor

Cman
06-24-2003, 05:37 AM
copied from similar thread:
Originally posted by Cman
Oooh...I'm scouring my brain.
I swear it was MikeRB had a tut somewhere on using bones to "fake" SBD. I remember... a bone rig... inside a belly?...
help anyone??

Ah Ha!
Found it! (http://forum.lwhub.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79)

It's a thread with sample files...good luck!
Maybe you can figure out how to apply it to your cape? If you do... please share the knowledge!!:lightbulb :applause:

SplineGod
06-24-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by dragonfollower
Hi,

I'm trying to rig this character for an animated movie I'm doing and I'm having A LOT of problems rigging the cloak to move like it's supposed to. I've been trying to learn how to use motion designer, but it seems pretty daunting and impossible to get useful effects out of. The SBD in Messiah (the package I'm using for anim) also are pretty useless. Can anyone tell me the best way to go about doing something like this?

Many thanks,

-Brian Taylor
How is the cloak supposed to behave?

Fasty
06-24-2003, 08:14 AM
Just have to say I LOVE this guy's head! Please keep tweaking the rest of his body to make it in line with the quality of his head!

SplineGod
06-24-2003, 09:22 AM
If youre not using MD I would use bones to rough out the basic cloak motions and then use displacement maps or normal displacement to further refine it. You can also use endomorphs as well.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.