PDA

View Full Version : Green or Blue?

John-S
01-06-2009, 05:33 AM
If this is the wrong forum to post this in then please... redirect me. I'm needing to setup a green or blue screen for pinup photography. What is the best color to use for that? Green or Blue?

Also, whats the programs we will be wanting to use for extraction? Just use photoshop trickery or what is a good entry workflow?

Thanks for your prompt attention!

***added***

On the mac is preferred...

Makaze
01-06-2009, 09:47 PM
I believe there was recently a post that was discussing green or blue backgrounds. I'm sure you can find it if you do a search.

I think you decide on the color depending on what your model is wearing. Also, I believe that blonde hair can be a bit trickier with green background (correct me if I'm wrong).
Although, blue tend to have more noise.

Regarding software, if you're talking about still photography, I'd suggest photoshop. You can of course do keying in Shake or Nuke, but they are more focused on motion.

rendermaniac
01-07-2009, 12:02 AM
I have heard about red screens been used for minatures. It depend on the subject and the medium you are recording on (film and video have different sensitivities / compression/grain depending on the colours).

Simon

John-S
01-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Thanks! I've searched and read some stuff... found answers to green vs blue.

Is there a preferred tutorial or method in PS for removing the color or is there a great miracle plugin for PS that does alot of the work for you?

Thanks!

rendermaniac
01-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Ultimatte (http://www.ultimatte.com/UltimatteMain/Software.html) and Primatte (http://primatte.com/) have Photoshop plugins. There is also Keylight (http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/pkg_overview.aspx?ui=29ED39A7-B0D5-4045-94C5-119300A5B0C6) which has an After Effects plugin (don't know if that would work with Photoshop). These keying plugins also have versions for Shake and Nuke.

Simon

John-S
01-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Awesome, thanks!

Primatte was ok... kinda sloppy though. It might be what we go with because its better then the photoshop only processes I've tried.

Ultimatte looks like it might have the leading edge on things. Looks like it might be a bit more advanced and cleaner. My only issue is that I can't find a trial version. You can download the full program from the site but then it needs a license dongle or something. Plus, I can't figure out how much the PS only plugin cost??? I emailed them about a trial and price so we'll see what happens...

Keylight has no PS plugin...

Any other favorites? Otherwise... I'll post my findings with Ultimatte when I hear back :)

John-S
01-09-2009, 01:35 AM
Well, they do have a demo but I can't get the license installer to work. It keeps quiting unexpectedly and then if I drop the plugin into the ps plugins folder it will come available but if I try to open an image in it then it states that there is not enough memory. There is plenty of memory for an image under 1 mb. I've got 4 gigs and a brand new macbook pro running leopard.

My concern is if its not compatible with leopard and CS4. Its not clear on the website anywhere about all its requirements. I know tiger and CS3 work but not sure about CS4 :(

I'm waiting to hear back again...

John-S
01-09-2009, 03:14 AM
OK... I'm officially in heaven! We got it going. There installer puts things in the wrong places...

This program rocks so far compared to all the others! I'm using it on a blonde guy against a greenscreen because as stated... its supposed to be the tough thing. Its no trouble... Hair is turning out phenomenal! Its a side view so the eyelashes have a slight green haze but will be removed no problem once i find the right tool :cool:

So, looks like the first setup will be green and ultimatte photoshop plugin for $500. Not too bad!

Thanks! I'm excited!!!

are the greenscreen hardware options much better for setup #2 in the future? As far as still photography goes?

Makaze
01-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Im also kind of curious if this is a good path to take when it comes to still photography. I've only worked on film/video greenscreen.
Are you going to post the images somewhere? I'd love to see the results.

John-S
01-09-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm working with a photographer on this so its up to her... I'm just doing some of the keying and creating the backdrops.

Once we get it all setup I'll post a couple here if allowed or I'll pm you some shots cause I'm sure that would be fine.

:cool:

Makaze
01-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Awesome! Looking foward to it. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-09-2009, 11:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.