PDA

View Full Version : Animation: walk cycle

moonsafari
06-24-2003, 02:20 AM
hello everyone...looking for some feedback on my first real attempt at a walk cycle. this is also my first full character made in 3d using softimage|XSI. looking forward to hearing your feedback.

download here (2 mb) (http://www.digforfire.com/files/walkcycle.mov)

cheers

road
06-24-2003, 02:26 AM
I really don't see much of anything to crit here...

The only thing I could say is maybe the head bounces a little too much... I didn't see it the first few times but If I loop the animation and look at it that's the only thing I could say..

But with that being said this is cartoony and not realistic...

Are you trying for a realistic cycle? anyway .. good job..
and very nice...

Joril
06-24-2003, 02:56 AM
in addition to what road said.
Maybe you should flap the hands up and downwards at the wrist, not sideways. Turn the hands about 45 degrees in comparison to the body. (instead of the +/- 90 degrees it is now)
Anyway, it's kinda hard to crit these kind of walk cycles because they are cartoony.
That's said, it's very good already. He seems very happy indeed :)

modi
06-24-2003, 03:07 AM
Hey good job man, he's got a lot of personality. I love the smile when he faces the cam and i like the blinks too. One small lil critique and this is nit picky , u could hold the blink on the closed position for one more frame and also try n incorporate ur blinks with the head movement. i.e he blinks on the down position and opens on the up position. All in all, awesome walk cycle, tons of personality. Cheers.

ed209
06-24-2003, 04:16 AM
Ok, I'm not going to be as easy, there are a few things wrong with this walk cycle.

1) Your over animating your arms.

2) Make sure you fully extend the leg before the plant. With the knee's bent the entire time you make him feel a bit dopey.

3) Head bobs too much. Tone it down

4) watch the plant on the feet. Looks like they may be popping a bit on the impact.

5) Your chest may be a bit over animated on the shoulder rotation forward and back. Hard to tell how much is to blame on the arm swing though. Tone down the arms first and see how it feels.

All in all though, comming along great. I like the nice follow through you've got on toes.

Taoizm
06-24-2003, 04:20 AM
The above and...

The fingers don't move or flex at all. The arms are moving pretty goood, but the fingers look rigid. Try extending them slightly on the the forward swing, and clenching a bit on the back swing.

keithlango
06-24-2003, 04:26 AM
i will repeat some already noted problems, if only to verify their existence. :) hopefully I will offer some new observations as well.

- there's too much reliance on the shoulders to give overlap to the landing weight. watch people walk. most of the weight settling is in lumbar compression. meaning they tend to settle into their lower spine/pelvis with the weight. you're using the shoulders to droop forward a bit too much. meanwhile his lumbar region of his spine is very stiff and erect.

- the pelvis is too 'bobby'. it goes up and down but it doesn't give enough of a sense of sense of weight.

- rotate pelvis on the Y (up) axis some more. same for the Z (forward/back) axis

- head bob is too much, but it's problem is rooted again in the heavy shoulder dips

- extend legs before planting the foot

- overall it feels quite even. there's not alot of texture to the walk. the pacing and timing of actions has a regularity to it that is stealing some energy. he rises and falls with seemingly the same speed. (6 frames for hips to rise, 6 frames for hips to fall). break that up to give the walk some energy and texture.

you've got a good start.

-k

moonsafari
06-24-2003, 06:01 AM
many thanks to everyone for the feedback.

absolutely right about the shoulders and head. i think much of it comes from the order that i animated things. i did the shoulders before the spine and now that i look at again i think the over rotation gave me a false sense of the weight.

also wanted to say cheers to cgTalk for this new focused critique section. this is how it should be!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.