PDA

View Full Version : Benjamin Button :: Production Focus

Intervain
01-06-2009, 01:30 AM
It was a job very well done indeed - congratulations to all involved, once again!:thumbsup:

PaulHellard
01-06-2009, 01:34 AM
Hey there,

The folks at Digital Domain opened up to CGSociety and discussed their part in the creation of the latest leap across the 'uncanny valley'. If you haven't seen this one yet, do yourself a favor, but before you do, have a read and prepare yourself. Also, DIGG it and comment.

http://features.cgsociety.org//images/plugs/feature/benjanin_plug.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=4848)

tinytimw52
01-06-2009, 02:16 AM
I have not seen the movie yet, but it looks really cool.

Briareos
01-06-2009, 04:17 AM
freakin` wizards I'm telling you. Badass work. Congrats to the team.

adrencg
01-06-2009, 04:19 AM
Such great work, I didn't even realize I was watching a CG head, until I read this article.

I was a little disapointed they didn't cover the last part of the movie.

"Old Brad Pitt"was pretty amazing, but I was even more impressed by "young Brad Pitt". It was like Thelma and Louise era Pitt. Was that really him, doctored up digitally, or was that CG also?

erilaz
01-06-2009, 04:21 AM
Wow, I knew they'd done some impressive effects work in the film, but if that's the level they went to, then it's quite amazing.

SovereignKnight
01-06-2009, 05:42 AM
Yeah... I wanna know how they made him younger. I also wanna know if they can do that to me.

BrettSinclair
01-06-2009, 06:09 AM
My God. I never thought I'd see something like this. This has to be the best cg I've ever seen. Hats off to the team for ground breaking work.

Wizards indeed...

AdrianLazar
01-06-2009, 06:37 AM
WOW! Fantastic job from DD! And congratulation for the article!

vfx
01-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Hey there,

If you haven't seen this one yet, do yourself a favor

If only it were out in the UK... ridiculous how much longer we have to wait to catch this one, I remember when loads of US distributed films were out months before they hit our shores, but given the similtaneous release dates we usually have now, this one takes the ##%. Oh well one more month to go.

Thanks for the article, this really is a big improvement over the Orville ad they used to test what they (DD) could do - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcn4p213Zg8

DoubleSupercool
01-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Whoa! I just got back from watching this and had no idea that they were full CG heads. I assumed there were face replacements, not full head and hair replacements.

Hats off to everyone who worked on the movie . . . a truly unique blend of amazing FX to tell a great story.

DigitalNeutrinos
01-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Whoa! I just got back from watching this and had no idea that they were full CG heads. I assumed there were face replacements, not full head and hair replacements.

Hats off to everyone who worked on the movie . . . a truly unique blend of amazing FX to tell a great story.

Wow what he said , damn fine work done there, great movie.

detached
01-07-2009, 12:37 AM
It crossed my mind once during the film that a some of the shots were CG but the whole thing. Totally fooled me. I can't wait to watch it again.

parti
01-07-2009, 02:03 AM
the younger Pitt was done by lola vfx check the Benjamin button article on vfxworld they have covered the whole movie

AMinder
01-07-2009, 02:08 AM
I knew what i was watching involved a CG old man head, only because of slight issues with the lip syncing and the head position placed on the actors was slightly off during a scene or 2. However, while i knew what i was watching was fake, my eyes said it was real. My parents who i went to this with had no idea and were amazed when i told them after it was over.

I agree with an above poster though that i am curious as to what they did with young Brad Pitt. Was that cg, makeup, or did they use a smoothing technique in post on him.

It is certainly the most impressive VFX i have ever scene when it comes to replicating reality.

Oh, and Digital Domain did the cg head? Im assuming this makes sense since they are working on James Cameron's Avatar right and that movie is intent on progressing digital actors?

sconlogue
01-07-2009, 05:14 AM
Just saw it last night and all around amazing. The aging, the mattes, everything was awesome. The whole reverse aging visual could have come off disjointed and awkward very easily. The fact that, even though I knew much of the aging was CG, yet it felt natural and believable just smacks me in the face with how skilled this production team was. Amazing.

Shletten
01-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Oh, and Digital Domain did the cg head? Im assuming this makes sense since they are working on James Cameron's Avatar right and that movie is intent on progressing digital actors? Well, according to Parti ''the younger Pitt was done by lola vfx check the Benjamin button article on vfxworld they have covered the whole movie''. So yeah, DD made the old one and Lola VFX, the young. As for Avatar, I sure hope Digital Domain will give a slight help to WETA because it is WETA that is mostly responsible for Avatar's visual effects.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/companycredits

DD is not mentionned in the list, I don't know if they will have anything to do in Avatar's production but WETA collaborated with DD back in the LOTR years so...

Ballo
01-07-2009, 11:20 AM
fantastic realism. thank you! fantastic work from asylum vfx too. :)

Eaze
01-07-2009, 12:54 PM
This movie is just awsome. I didn't know or notice cg until i've read the article...
They did a really great job on that one!

Grrrrrrr
01-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Interesting to find about such film from cgtalks article and not sooner. Non the less, Digital Domain is amazing me one more time. Can't wait to see it.

BigPixolin
01-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Whats the point of cg humans when you can just film it? blah blah blah. Looks like that argument is mute.

This is really amazing. Knowing this type of quality went into the movie is going to make it more enjoyable for me. Can't wait to see it.

BrettSinclair
01-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Oh great. I only get to see this in march!!!

XerC
01-07-2009, 05:45 PM
This is just freaking unbelieveable! Hat's off to the team; they really did some magic ...

NickJushchyshyn
01-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Whats the point of cg humans when you can just film it? ...
Well, this movie would have had a really really long production cycle if we had to wait for Mr. Pitt to age to 80 years old to film those shots (plus we would have had to shrink him too).
The big point to this is it allowed a single actor to perform the a dynamic emotional roll that spanned decades of aging without being encumbered or limited by prosthetic technologies.

This was a fun and amazing project to be involved in and only made possible by the vision, talent and dedication over a hundred people working together towards this single goal.
Glad everyone is liked it. :)

jeremybirn
01-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Saw it last night. Congratulations to all involved.

I think that making actors and actresses look younger will become a "killer app" for 3D effects from now on... get ready for a lifetime of Hollywood clients wanting similar services. :D

Also, all the "other" work was first-rate, moving through lots of historical settings in different decades.

As a movie, it was enjoyable enough, too. It reminded me of Forest Gump in many ways.

-jeremy

TimesNewRoman
01-08-2009, 04:03 PM
My God. I never thought I'd see something like this. This has to be the best cg I've ever seen. Hats off to the team for ground breaking work.

Wizards indeed...

That is 100% the truth. I was watching the whole thing and the only time I actually thought it was CG was the first shot of the baby, alot of the other times I was just astounded by how beautifully done it was.

Congrats to the DD team - amazing work.

Romanthony
01-09-2009, 03:51 AM
Wow. Now seeing and hearing about how it was done, I should check this out. Normally I'm very cynical about new movies these days... but I'll hold out hope for this one (even if just to see new state-of-the-art effects in action, in mainstream Hollywood and not just here).

japetus
01-09-2009, 05:51 PM
I had no idea that this much CG was involved with the body! Completely amazing work guys, the uncanny valley has shrunk to a pothole! I thought it was just some trickery with make up and compositing but I was blown away! I'm seeing it sunday and I can't wait!! Amazing work!

Djampa
01-11-2009, 04:03 AM
Totally impressive,

I think it's another mark in CG history, no to say a mark in the movies history in itself, congratulations to the whole team, it was clearly a huge work, I wish you the best and believe it will take more awards than you might be waiting for.

You guys raised the bar to a greater level !

Congrats again, and thanks Mr. Hellard for the article.

JBoskma
01-12-2009, 07:34 AM
An absolute landmark achievement! Congrats to all involved. It's shows nothing but courage from the studio too, to agree on the cg approach and produce the film in this way. I am sure, having shot the film with multiple differently aged actors would have hurt the storytelling. However if the head replacement work would not have been as good as it had, it would have completely killed the film. A very tight box to move around in I image, but brilliantly pulled off!

I've got a gut feeling Benjamin Button will take home the vfx cake at the oscars this year. It would be well deserved! :)

roadRUNN3R
01-13-2009, 12:00 AM
:eek: ... i iz speechless :O

-SD-
01-19-2009, 09:40 PM
http://www.benjaminbuttonfx.com

Username: sfx
Password: buttonsbuttons

japetus
01-19-2009, 11:33 PM
http://www.benjaminbuttonfx.com (http://www.benjaminbuttonfx.com/)

wow, thanks so much! Simply astounding work. I really love this movie!!

BrettSinclair
01-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the link:beer:. I'll be watching this over and over again.

funfun
01-21-2009, 07:00 AM
http://www.benjaminbuttonfx.com

Username: sfx
Password: buttonsbuttons

cann't login anymore

PiotrekM
02-18-2009, 06:58 AM
http://www.benjaminbuttonfx.com/

hats down DD...simply awesome

japetus
02-23-2009, 06:09 AM
Congrats on winning guys! I was really hoping this would win the award. There was a lot of stiff competition this year, but this movie pushed the state of the art further than the rest so hats off to you guys! Can't wait till this hits DVD!

gjpetch
02-25-2009, 03:12 AM
A great video on TED about the visual effects of Benjamin Button:
http://www.ted.com/talks/ed_ulbrich_shows_how_benjamin_button_got_his_face.html

JiBZ
03-02-2009, 07:37 AM
Perfect film!!!

drawallday
03-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Fully CGI head and not makeup? Impressive! LOLA/vfx is amazing. Good job to you guys at Digital Domain!

Can anyone tell me how the CGI head facial expressions were animated? Blendshapes? Muscles?

japetus
03-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Fully CGI head and not makeup? Impressive! LOLA/vfx is amazing. Good job to you guys at Digital Domain!

Can anyone tell me how the CGI head facial expressions were animated? Blendshapes? Muscles?

http://www.benjaminbuttonfx.com/

ice-boy
04-23-2009, 11:23 PM
saw the movie and i must say that this was perfection.

i understand that CGI experts will maybe find something that they noticed. but you need to all understand that almost everyone belived that this was a real person.

watching this movie made me also realize how bad the face animation on beowulf was. and how almost noone blinked.
and i am reading that Robert Zemeckis for hes new movie still used dots? its 2009. Fincher and Cameron already are using the new technology. i am also reading that Jackson and Spielberg will also use the same technology that Cameron is using. stop using thise dots.

i still can not belive how much detail was on Benjamins face when he was moving. its just insane.

Shletten
04-23-2009, 11:31 PM
saw the movie and i must say that this was perfection.

i understand that CGI experts will maybe find something that they noticed. but you need to all understand that almost everyone belived that this was a real person.

watching this movie made me also realize how bad the face animation on beowulf was. and how almost noone blinked.
and i am reading that Robert Zemeckis for hes new movie still used dots? its 2009. Fincher and Cameron already are using the new technology. i am also reading that Jackson and Spielberg will also use the same technology that Cameron is using. stop using thise dots.

i still can not belive how much detail was on Benjamins face when he was moving. its just insane.
I think the same, I couldn't believe how Robert Zemeckis and his crew didn't decide to go for Mova or Image Metrics. It's ridiculous and besides, dots have already been used way more efficiently in some movies. Avatar is going to rock! XD

CGTalk Moderation
04-23-2009, 11:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.