PDA

View Full Version : motionbuilder fbx to 3ds - problams with bones and control rig

Br0zef
01-06-2009, 01:23 AM
Hi, I'm having a few problems regarding my work between motionbuilder and 3ds max design 2009.

I managed to export a low poly character rigged with bones from Max as an FBX (Import/Export - fbx200502_mb75)

I then imported that FBX into MotionBuilder 7.5 Extension 1.

Since its my first time trying out this pipeline, i did a few test animations, rotating and translating pivot points around the body, just see if the characterising and the control worked. they all checked out ok in motionbuilder.

after which, I plotted all my files and I saved out all the animations via File> Save As>.fbx (with all the default motionbuilder checks for scene/takes/settings etc)

Now the problem occurs when i import it the fbx back into 3ds. It seems that 3ds doesn't recognise the fbx's control rig or bones, so it replaces all the bones with 'dummy' helpers, which the skin modifier refers to, so the mesh can still rotate and translate occording to there position. but no animation from the takes follows the fbx what so ever.

its seems that it nearly has imported the animation, considering the timeline changes length, but otherwise the scene stays still.
Initially i was worried that this was a complete noob problem and just required a tick of a box, but it seems that other people have had this simular problem. I've tried just importing the animation, then only the model then the animation, i've even downloaded the most recent fbx plugin for max, and i keep getting the same errors -

'The following Link node(s) is/are not part of the BindPose definition.'

I think the obvious solution would be to figure out why the bones and control rig don't copy back into 3ds from the fbx but i have no ideas. so if anyone can at least point me in the right direction this would be a great help.

would really appreciate some kind of response asap, thanks so much in advanced

Dimich
01-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Judging from your description you are not importing the FBX with right settings. Check in the "Include" drop down the "Bone Creation" sub-rollout. In there it may say that Bone Conversion is set to "Convert as Dummy". Make it "Leave as Bones". Also in there you will be able to import the take you like. Also make sure that the "File Content" is set to
Add to scene". Try that out and see if it works. But the control rig from MB will not transfer to Max as it is a special system built into MB. As far as I know it only works with MB and cannot be imported to anywhere without some serious hacking of the systems, if at all.

Br0zef
01-06-2009, 09:46 PM
thanks for the help Dimich, i really appreciate it.

I've applied your advice and it seems to have nearly worked! the bones are now apparant and the animation gets transfered when i don't bake the animation. but unfortunatly the control rig is still there and is turned into a dummy.

this would be fine, but the animation is only affecting the dummies and not the bones at all. I'm thinking the root of this problem might have started in MB? Possibly with the layering system in animation, and possibly the animation was only layered with the control rig and not the bones or mesh?

Dimich
01-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Well, make sure you plot the animation to skeleton, not just the Control Rig. What you can after that is to try deleting the control rig after plotting the animations to bones. Then save the file and make sure you only save models (Animation as well) and not characters. I think that should give you a clean file.

Br0zef
01-11-2009, 04:02 PM
thanks a lot again dimich, seems to be working okay now!

the only problem left now is it seems without the control rig, is that the limbs, in particular the feet, seem to slide between motions at times. will i just have to tweak the animation in motionbuilder more precisely? or is there a way of REALLY specifying the animations once plotted?

CGTalk Moderation
01-11-2009, 04:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.