PDA

View Full Version : Speed Test Issue

Bobo
01-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Is "Inherit Emitter Movement" checked in the Position Object operator that places the particles on the animated emitter geometry? Otherwise, your particles will be born without speed and the Speed Test would never "see" them moving to send them out.

musashidan
01-06-2009, 12:08 AM
I have a reactor fracture simulation baked out and am trying to add additional particle debris.
My problem is:i have the shape instanced debris emitting from my fracture objects(ie,a multi part crate that smashes into bits and moves in the direction it was hit from at a fast velocity) but when i add a speed test(acceleration magnitude) and link it to a speed operator event(inherit direction) nothing happens.the animation plays as normal but the particles remain static in the position where they originally emitted from my object.

i've played with all the settings in the speed test with no joy.

any ideas?cheers.

musashidan
01-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Is "Inherit Emitter Movement" checked in the Position Object operator that places the particles on the animated emitter geometry? Otherwise, your particles will be born without speed and the Speed Test would never "see" them moving to send them out.

I thought this aswell until i checked it in maxhelp:

Note:If a Speed operator exists later in the event, it overrides any motion imparted by Inherit Emitter Movement.(pasted from maxhelp)

I have no speed operator in the event but the event flows to another event with a speed operator (inherit previous) via a speed test(acceleration magnatude)

Bobo
01-06-2009, 06:28 PM
I thought this aswell until i checked it in maxhelp:

Note:If a Speed operator exists later in the event, it overrides any motion imparted by Inherit Emitter Movement.(pasted from maxhelp)

I have no speed operator in the event but the event flows to another event with a speed operator (inherit previous) via a speed test(acceleration magnatude)

But you complained that the TEST is not sending them out to that event. If it does not, it is because the SPEED is not set YET, and if the particles do not flow to the other event, they never get their speed set.

musashidan
01-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Sorry Bobo,didn't mean to sound like i had complained.:D i had ticked inherit emitter movement in the pos object op just for pig iron,the particles remained static.I'm pretty stumped ,it's a simple setup with few parameters and i've adjusted them all and tested. I'm sure it's something basic that i've overlooked..........

cheers.

musashidan
01-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Cheers Bobo for pointing me in the right direction.When i checked lock on emitter instead of inherit emitter movement i got some satisfying flying debris.:D

CGTalk Moderation
01-06-2009, 07:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.